Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:14 PM

74 posts, read 114,156 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I just accepted a position at Hull High School (Hull, MA). I am relocating from Maryland, and I need to find a place to live... It's been VERY difficult to find apartments in the Hull area itself. I have tried Craigslist, Airbnb, even VRBO and HomeAway, with very little luck so far. Also, I noticed that Hull does not have a supermarket anymore (it went out of business) and there isn't a ton to do there. I have a car, which will help. I am only looking for an apartment for myself, no pets, and I'm a professional with a steady income. I am not looking to spend more than $1400/month. Also, I am 32 years old, and I enjoy being close to activities or at least public transportation of some sort. I know that Hull has the ferry, but it doesn't seem to run too often... Can anyone provide more information about that?

Here are my questions: 1) Should I try to live in Hull itself, or somewhere nearby (Hingham, Cohasset, Weymouth, Quincy). And if I live nearby, which town would be the best? I am looking for activities, proximity to public transportation, and not too far from Hull (commute-wise)
2) If I live in Hull proper, how can I find an apartment?
3) Is Quincy too far away/too long of a commute? It appeals to me because it's closer to Boston, and the T stations
4) What is Hull like in the winter? Is it feasible to live there?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
Quincy, Braintree or Weymouth would be good places to live for a reasonable commute to Hull High School, which is at the very tip of the peninsula that is the town of Hull.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:14 PM

39 posts, read 46,564 times
Based on what you said, Quincy and Hingham will probably be best for you. If you're looking for your own studio/1bd apartment, you'll have a better chance in Weymouth, Braintree, and Quincy. $1400 will be tough. The nearest supermarket is probably in Hingham- Trader joe's and stop and shop.

1. Based on what my friend that grew up in Hull said, it's quite boring. I checked Craigslist and there are a few places available. Moving during this time is tough especially when all the students move in and out at the end of the month.

2. https://boston.craigslist.org/search...labilityMode=0

3. I live in Quincy and it's about a 30 min drive. No traffic to there.

4. Hull is next to the water. I'm sure it'll be cold.

Best of luck.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:38 PM

51 posts, read 65,039 times
Hi and welcome to Hull / Hull schools! You're joining a great community!
I've lived in Hull for 15+ years and have 2 kids in the schools here (not high school yet, though) and can try to answer some of your questions.

I don't know the rental market well, but there is not a lot of rental inventory in Hull itself (it's quite a small town) and I would think (as it sounds like you've found) it will be very difficult to find something to rent in Hull, especially in your price range. You might get lucky if you consider either an off-season seasonal rental (now that summer is winding down a lot of beach houses empty out) and/or a roommate or shared housing situation. And you might also ask around the school community for leads - there are a lot of in-law type units (studio/1 br) in town that people rent out that I suspect are more through word of mouth than the internet (that's how the few that I know of - all rented, though -operate. ) Or given that school starts in 2 days, maybe consider whether someone in the school district has a room you could rent for a month or two while you get your bearings/look around?

As to adjacent towns you mentioned, I suspect Cohasset and Hingham will not offer much more rental availability, and they will be overall pricier. To me they also feel sleepier/snobbier/more suburban (though we do find ourselves in Hingham a lot for shopping, groceries, movies,etc)...

In terms of the combo of rental availability, access to the T/Boston and Hull, and general liveliness, singles your age etc, my hunch is Quincy might be your best bet (I say that knowing nothing about living in a Quincy though!) I don't think it's too far at all to commute from Quincy to Hull (since you have a car) but of course that depends on what you consider 'far'. As someone pointed out (and you may already know) Hull High is at the tippy end of town, pretty much in the middle of Boston Harbor.

If you really want to be creative and are into urban living (and the schedules and cost could be worked out) could you live in Boston itself and take the ferry to Hull ( reverse commute)? The Hull ferry dock is literally across the street from the high school so you wouldn't need a car during the day. The ferry, while a limited schedule (that you can find on the MBTA website) is extremely reliable all year.

As to your last question, of course it is feasible to live in Hull in the winter, ~10,000 or so people do it. It's not like a seasonal town that empties out and boards up in the winter. It's actually still quite lively, most restaurants and services still open, the beaches and ocean take on their own unique winter beauty. It's not for everyone, but I love it.

Good luck!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:16 AM

39 posts, read 31,720 times
I was thinking reverse commute on the ferry, too. You could get a rental in Quincy or Weymouth, but it certainly wouldn't be as fun as living in Boston.

I am wondering what other teachers at HHS do? I would maybe connect there more than here to find out what colleagues have done and where their preferred communities are. Like if everyone is living local finding a place nearby might be fun, but if it's a lot of married with kids living in Scituate and Norwell you might want to go other ways.

I am surprised you are not finding off season rentals in Hull. That might be a better approach to get you started. Then reassess in the spring.

The principal (or your department head) might be able to help you, too, with connections...she was the Hingham High principal for a long time and I would guess may have ideas. (I know my principal was always very helpful in finding staff housing, day care openings, etc. - they want to help you make this work.)

In terms of grocery stores, the closing of the Hull store made me sad. The Fruit Center (near Hingham Harbor) is not that far though and there is a stop and shop in Cohasset going down 3A in the other direction. Those are both closer than the Trader Joes and Hingham Stop and Shop to Hull.

Hull is a cool place. It just will take you some time to get to know the local vibe, but once you do I am sure you will like it!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:43 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
The main drawback to Quincy might be commuting over the Fore River Bridge. The new bridge is now carrying traffic so the construction delays should not be as bad (old bridge will still need to be demolished). The bridge however will continue to have to be raised for ship traffic. This action can often impact traffic.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM

779 posts, read 877,739 times
I would look in East Weymouth along 3A, south of the Fore River Bridge. Would work with your budget and still less than a half of an hour to the high school. I love Hull, but getting from the south end of Nantasket Ave up to the High School takes 10 minutes alone!

I wouldn't rule out a winter rental in Hull if you could find one. Though there is always the issue of storing your own furniture. There are grocery stores on 3A in Hingham and Cohasset, so not that far away.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:25 AM

344 posts, read 336,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I would look in East Weymouth along 3A, south of the Fore River Bridge. Would work with your budget and still less than a half of an hour to the high school. I love Hull, but getting from the south end of Nantasket Ave up to the High School takes 10 minutes alone!

I wouldn't rule out a winter rental in Hull if you could find one. Though there is always the issue of storing your own furniture. There are grocery stores on 3A in Hingham and Cohasset, so not that far away.
Just FYI, the Weymouth part of 3A is all in North Weymouth, not East. But both North and East Weymouth would work.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:11 AM

779 posts, read 877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinderman View Post
Just FYI, the Weymouth part of 3A is all in North Weymouth, not East. But both North and East Weymouth would work.
Ah, got it. That makes sense. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:22 AM

74 posts, read 114,156 times
Thanks for your advice and help everyone!

I have ruled out Cohasset and Hingham.. I haven't seen anything in those areas in terms of rentals, and you all said that they tend to be expensive and "bedroom communities." I am looking to live in a place that is more lively. I do know about the drawbridge that connects from Quincy... how often do boats run through there? I would be driving to work at around 6:15 am.. I'm not sure what the traffic looks like at that time.

My top choice is probably Quincy, because it's closer to Boston, there are T stations, many restaurants, supermarkets, shops, etc.. And it's a reasonable commuting distance from Hull. Someone asked about "reasonable" commute time: I currently drive 50+ minutes each way in Maryland to and from work (72 miles daily), so anything shorter than that is "reasonable" to me! I will mention that I am having sticker shock over the prices in Quincy, though. The cheapest apartment I've seen so far was $1,400/month, (1 bedroom) not including utilities. Most of the apartments I've seen are $2,100/month!!!! Do you all think $1,400/month for a one bedroom in Quincy is reasonable? I will be making a salary in the mid-70's...

Weymouth seems to be more affordable, so I will also continue to look there... How is Weymouth's location in terms of getting to Boston? I know there's a commuter rail.. As far as living IN Boston, I just don't think I can afford it. The Hull ferry also doesn't run at the correct times-I need to be at work at 7:15, and it arrives at 7:36 am (from Boston Wharf).

As far as staff at HHS, most people I've spoken with said they commute, or own a house in Hull. No one has mentioned having an in-law or rental available for me (yet). I'll continue to ask around! As far as vacation rentals, the places I have contacted said they are "closed" for the winter months. I even tried Airbnb, but the host was asking $2200/month for a studio rental in Hull (on the beach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts