Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:28 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What are you talking about??? Have you spent time around 128 or 495 lately? There are jumping with activity, and busier than ever!

I certainly agree on the T and commuter rail, but there also needs to be less reliance on the hub-spoke. With a population of over 5,000,000 for the Boston area (depending on how it's measured), the city of Boston simply cannot carry the weight of the entire region. There needs to be an emphasis on satellite hubs to relieve the pressure on Boston, and improve efficiency and QOL for all.
The population of the city of Boston is an estimated 663,000 (2016 estimate). The population of the Boston metro area is 4.79 million people (2016 estimate). The Boston metro does not include any of Rhode Island, Connecticut or Maine. It does include 2 counties of New Hampshire. It does not include Bristol County or Barnstable Counties. Some people seem to be under the assumption that Metro Boston includes parts of Maine, Rhode Island and Connecticut when it does not. It doesn't even include all of Eastern Massachusetts or Worcester. The Boston CSA does include all of these areas and has an estimated population of 8.4 million people.

To your point, I think eventually (we're talking 15-20 years) the entire 128 belt will be even more built up to create a satellite hub that you speak of. It would be nice if we had faster and more reliable transit along this corridor so that way someone living in say Canton, or Randolph could take trains to Burlington and Woburn and vice versa. Boston's core is too small physically to sustain as much growth as it has - the city has gained over 80,000 more resident in the last 13 years and that number will reach over 100,000 by the time 2020 rolls around.

I also agree that there's been a flurry of activity along 128. Just drive along 128 in Bedford, Burlington and Waltham. Tons of new buildings cane be seen recently completed or still under construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 09:44 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
What you say makes total sense, but unfortunately the "market" is heading in the opposite direction. Many MA companies with HQs in the suburbs have actually started opening offices in downtown Boston because they simply could not attract the talent to the suburbs.

Any company which requires a work force in the age range of 25-35 are forced to look in downtown Boston. It simply must be a millennial thing, they want to walk to work, don't like driving, don't like cooking and prefer to eat out

.. so unfortunately Downtown is where employers must be..
Yes and no. There has always been a particular subset of the 25-35s who opt to live that "Sex in the City" lifestyle and those are often the same bunch courted by these more innovative companies. I disagree that it's a generational thing, it's always been that way. And just like with previous generations, the current one will likely migrate towards the suburbs once they settle down and have families. In addition, there is a current fad among older folks as well that favors a more urban and walkable environment. Whether that stays or not, we have yet to see. But fact is, while more companies continue to open offices downtown; they continue to grow in the burbs as well and will always have a presence there. There is a demand for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I also agree that there's been a flurry of activity along 128. Just drive along 128 in Bedford, Burlington and Waltham. Tons of new buildings cane be seen recently completed or still under construction.
As well as Needham. Seen the new Tripadvisor facility going up? 128 is as strong as ever...

Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I think you're abusing the term "high speed".
Bos-Providence is the only place Acela actually meets international HSR qualifications. Its top speed 155mph between the two cities, which in reality is about as fast as a train having 1 stop every 20 miles is going to go.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:32 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Bos-Providence is the only place Acela actually meets international HSR qualifications. Its top speed 155mph between the two cities, which in reality is about as fast as a train having 1 stop every 20 miles is going to go.
Amtrak yes but the MBTA local service could be taking advantage of that fast electrified track instead of running trains pulled by diesel locomotives. Good for freight, not for efficient passenger service.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Imagine how many politicians they will be able to "purchase" if they HQ2 in DC
Bezos has a place in NYC and is know to be there often. The top 20 showed a ton of Northeast cities even though many didn't met their "criteria". Although at first I didn't think so, I'm thinking somewhere from DC north will get HQ2 just so he can be close to the space.

And as much as people want to brag about their city being such an elite place, I don't think this has anything to do with their criteria.

My company recently relocated saying they did so in a better location. It was only better for the top executives, but no reason for them to go there. So I'm starting to think this whole search was nothing more then a bidding spree so they could get something and Bezos can go where he wants or at least close enough to NYC. It doesn't matter what the city really had, so get over that a city is so much better then others. Its simple politics.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:15 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Amtrak yes but the MBTA local service could be taking advantage of that fast electrified track instead of running trains pulled by diesel locomotives. Good for freight, not for efficient passenger service.
I doubt that it would make much difference with commuter trains anyway since they stop every few miles. Maybe a couple minutes. Having Proper platforms are all stops and reducing dwell time would speed up Commuter rail more.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:06 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I doubt that it would make much difference with commuter trains anyway since they stop every few miles. Maybe a couple minutes. Having Proper platforms are all stops and reducing dwell time would speed up Commuter rail more.
Electric powered locomotives get up to speed much faster than diesels, after a stop. But yes, they need to eliminate stops on some lines, and add more parking to the remaining stations.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:54 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The population of the city of Boston is an estimated 663,000 (2016 estimate)...Boston's core is too small physically to sustain as much growth as it has - the city has gained over 80,000 more resident in the last 13 years and that number will reach over 100,000 by the time 2020 rolls.
But Boston counted 801,000 residents in the 1950 census and I don’t think anyone thought it was at capacity then. Certainly the core is too small for much more development; that’s why the Seaport and Kendall have burgeoned. Allston RR yards may be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts