Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 03:49 PM

27 posts, read 37,458 times

Advertisements

Hello
Looks like our will be moving to Massachusetts in the next 6 months for my husband’s new job. The firm is based on the Seaport area.

We’re looking for the flowing:
- within 30-45 min commute by commuter rail
- nice, diverse suburb town
- fantastic schools
- House price max $700
- Preferably 1980s+ construction, 3-4 beds, 2+bath, 2000+ SF

We like what we’ve read on the following towns:
- Sharon (Con - lack of commercial development and high tax)
- Westford (Con- commute)
- Sudbury (Con- lack of diversity)
- Natick (Con- schools?)
- Acton (Con- commute)

I would appreciate any feedback. I like in Doylestown PA currently and it’s a cute town with lots to offer. It would be nice to find somewhere similar. 😊

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2017, 05:12 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
Hello
Looks like our will be moving to Massachusetts in the next 6 months for my husband’s new job. The firm is based on the Seaport area.

- fantastic schools
- House price max $700

- Natick (Con- schools?)
- Acton (Con- commute)

I would appreciate any feedback. I like in Doylestown PA currently and it’s a cute town with lots to offer. It would be nice to find somewhere similar. 😊

Thanks!
Andover comes to mind, although it would be on the outer edge of your commute limit. As others have affirmed on this forum, the Seaport is tough to commute to from the suburbs. Consider Burlington also, but you would need to commute from the Anderson commuter rail station in Woburn.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:58 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
Hello

- fantastic schools
- House price max $700

- Natick (Con- schools?)
- Acton (Con- commute)

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Andover comes to mind, although it would be on the outer edge of your commute limit. As others have affirmed on this forum, the Seaport is tough to commute to from the suburbs. Consider Burlington also, but you would need to commute from the Anderson commuter rail station in Woburn.
My parents retired to Solebury, so I’m a little familiar with Doylestown. Was just there this week.

First off, forget about commuter rail lines that go to North Station. People on this board seem really wedded to north shore towns, even when they don’t make much sense. Andover to Seaport is 75 minutes on commuter rail (just check google). Sharon is 35. If you’re going to take commuter rail, pick a line that goes to South Station. So right away, knock Westford, Sudbury, and Acton off your list. All great towns, but not really that convenient to the Seaport via commuter rail.

If schools are your top priority, I don’t think you’ll do better than Sharon with your budget. Taxes are high, but otherwise it seems like a good choice. Canton is a good choice, as well. A little more affordable, lower tax rates, closer to Boston, schools aren’t as good. Milton is a possibility, too. You might consider Braintree. I definitely wouldn’t rule out Natick. Schools are plenty good.

Also, when you say you’re looking for diversity, what do you mean exactly? Doylestown is 95% non-Hispanic white, much like Sudbury.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury,_Massachusetts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doyl...,_Pennsylvania

Old 12-31-2017, 11:56 PM

652 posts, read 749,860 times
No chance

Compromise on price, commute time or house age

Old 01-01-2018, 12:53 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
With the commute you'll probably be better with a southern town, as South Station is much more convenient to the seaport compared to north station.

And by fantastic schools what do you mean? Do you want the top schools in Massachusetts, remember Massachusetts as a whole has the best schools in a nation. If you look at the top high schools in MA, i'd say everything inside of 75 would give a great education.

Milton would be an good commute, although that budget with a newish home would be tough. If you're willing to scratch the newish build off of your wish list you could find something.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3157...ilton-MA-02186

Here is a good one. It's older but a new reno. Something like this could work well.

Last edited by tysmith95; 01-01-2018 at 01:03 AM..

Old 01-01-2018, 07:14 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times
Agree on sticking to towns served by South Station (Seaport is a direct line to/from it).

Sharon, Milton, and Canton would certainly work. The issue, though, is that whatever property you find -- and this goes for nearly every town, not just those three -- will probably need some kind of work. Most of the housing stock here is old. You do find newer construction, but it usually either a flipped property or, if you go further out, newer planned developments.

Also look at Westwood and Walpole. Westwood has the commuter rail which goes right to South Station. Walpole is the larger, more-rural-in-places town next door. We have family who moved to the latter last fall and love it. I can't vouch for the schools, though although I want to say that they're on the same tier as Milton and Canton -- great, but not in the top percent like Sharon.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:13 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Yea, Westford/Acton will be too far. Once that line gets to alewife, it's an additional 25 minutes via the red line.

I'd roll with Natick, Sharon, or buy a fixer upper in Westwood. All great towns, and if it were me, I'd go Natick or Westwood. As compared to other towns of the 20k mark, Sharon has never been my favorite aestethically. That said, Sharon is one of the best school systems in the state.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
My parents retired to Solebury, so I’m a little familiar with Doylestown. Was just there this week.

First off, forget about commuter rail lines that go to North Station. People on this board seem really wedded to north shore towns, even when they don’t make much sense. Andover to Seaport is 75 minutes on commuter rail (just check google). Sharon is 35. If you’re going to take commuter rail, pick a line that goes to South Station. So right away, knock Westford, Sudbury, and Acton off your list. All great towns, but not really that convenient to the Seaport via commuter rail.

If schools are your top priority, I don’t think you’ll do better than Sharon with your budget. Taxes are high, but otherwise it seems like a good choice. Canton is a good choice, as well. A little more affordable, lower tax rates, closer to Boston, schools aren’t as good. Milton is a possibility, too. You might consider Braintree. I definitely wouldn’t rule out Natick. Schools are plenty good.

Also, when you say you’re looking for diversity, what do you mean exactly? Doylestown is 95% non-Hispanic white, much like Sudbury.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury,_Massachusetts
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doyl...,_Pennsylvania

You’re right. There’s hardly any diversity in DTown. Mass seems to be more diverse than PA. Hoping to find a town that does.

There’s a ferry from North Station that most employees take to seaport.

Thanks for suggested towns!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
With the commute you'll probably be better with a southern town, as South Station is much more convenient to the seaport compared to north station.

And by fantastic schools what do you mean? Do you want the top schools in Massachusetts, remember Massachusetts as a whole has the best schools in a nation. If you look at the top high schools in MA, i'd say everything inside of 75 would give a great education.

Milton would be an good commute, although that budget with a newish home would be tough. If you're willing to scratch the newish build off of your wish list you could find something.

https://www.trulia.com/property/3157...ilton-MA-02186

Here is a good one. It's older but a new reno. Something like this could work well.

Nice house!! What’s a good indicator for a “good/great” SD in Massachusetts?

Old 01-01-2018, 12:32 PM

3,688 posts, read 7,426,863 times
A $700K budget might get you something reasonable in Canton or Norwood. Those towns would be more suburban than Milton and a better commute than anything on your original list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts