Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 12:33 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgifan View Post
Nice house!! What’s a good indicator for a “good/great” SD in Massachusetts?
SD meaning school district?

I know people tend to get a general idea from either the Great Schools website or, in the Boston area, consulting Boston Magazine's annual "top MA school districts" survey. I wouldn't consider either one as gospel but they'll both give you rough ideas.

As somebody else said, MA in general is known for its schools. Compared to other states, we have, in general, a more rigorous curriculum. Schools in the wealthier districts tend to have the most bang for the buck, whether it's more AP classes at the high school level, more extracurricular activities, special programs (Milton's French Immersion program, for example), that sort of thing. Some districts have students whose parents could afford to send them to private school but don't because their public schools are, on many levels, akin to what they'd get at a private school. The downside, of course, is that districts like these tends to be very competitive, both in and out of the classroom.

There are a lot of threads around here talking about different school districts. Many people will disdain different districts for various reasons. My feeling is that if a kid is motivated and has adults in his or her corner, s/he can have an excellent education in any district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 PM

513 posts, read 647,010 times
Quote:

There’s a ferry from North Station that most employees take to seaport.
There isn't a ferry, at least not yet. I live up north and worked in the Seaport for about a year and made the long trek to and from North Station each day. There are employer shuttles run by the MCCA. You would need to confirm that the employer participates in the shuttle service to take advantage.

As for the ferry, see the linked article. It was hoped to launch last summer and it hasn't. Now I hear hopefully spring, but I don't believe funding has been secured. It looks like the ferry will also charge passengers, where you can transfer to the Silver line at South Station without having to pay an additional fare.

https://www.massconvention.com/about...ch-this-summer

I have offered the same advice as others to anyone working in the Seaport- stick with train lines that end at South Station. The shuttle busses are often stuck in the horrendous traffic around the Seaport and can easily take longer than 20 minutes to get to North Station in the evening.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:29 PM

27 posts, read 37,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
There isn't a ferry, at least not yet. I live up north and worked in the Seaport for about a year and made the long trek to and from North Station each day. There are employer shuttles run by the MCCA. You would need to confirm that the employer participates in the shuttle service to take advantage.

As for the ferry, see the linked article. It was hoped to launch last summer and it hasn't. Now I hear hopefully spring, but I don't believe funding has been secured. It looks like the ferry will also charge passengers, where you can transfer to the Silver line at South Station without having to pay an additional fare.

https://www.massconvention.com/about...ch-this-summer

I have offered the same advice as others to anyone working in the Seaport- stick with train lines that end at South Station. The shuttle busses are often stuck in the horrendous traffic around the Seaport and can easily take longer than 20 minutes to get to North Station in the evening.

Thanks for the clarification. However I did confirm that there is a shuttle. Based on our search we tend to prefer the southern towns more!

Old 01-01-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
SD meaning school district?

I know people tend to get a general idea from either the Great Schools website or, in the Boston area, consulting Boston Magazine's annual "top MA school districts" survey. I wouldn't consider either one as gospel but they'll both give you rough ideas.

As somebody else said, MA in general is known for its schools. Compared to other states, we have, in general, a more rigorous curriculum. Schools in the wealthier districts tend to have the most bang for the buck, whether it's more AP classes at the high school level, more extracurricular activities, special programs (Milton's French Immersion program, for example), that sort of thing. Some districts have students whose parents could afford to send them to private school but don't because their public schools are, on many levels, akin to what they'd get at a private school. The downside, of course, is that districts like these tends to be very competitive, both in and out of the classroom.

There are a lot of threads around here talking about different school districts. Many people will disdain different districts for various reasons. My feeling is that if a kid is motivated and has adults in his or her corner, s/he can have an excellent education in any district.
Yes, school district. Are you a resident of Milton? Are there specific areas of Milton that are more and less desirable?
My husband and I are in our late 30s with two young sons 6 and 3. We are both black professionals in the tech/engineering fields and enjoy the outdoors. I’m hoping to find a neighborhood with a good mix of folks with from similar walks of life.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM

154 posts, read 257,027 times
I grew up in Doylestown and have been in MA since I moved up for grad school. Dtown is pretty hip these days and you won't find exactly that mix of a walkable downtown with a great variety of independent shops, movie theater, and restaurants along with a good amount of open space (although much less in Bucks County than when I was a kid!) Newton is somewhat similar, although more densely populated than Doylestown and above your budget. I believe all of the towns that have been named so far have somewhat better rated schools than CBSD, and most are much smaller districts, which I prefer. I love Sudbury (great schools, lots of conservation land nearby for outdoor activities, very pretty) and would recommend it, along with Concord, but both might be a bit far for commuting.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrailstris View Post
I grew up in Doylestown and have been in MA since I moved up for grad school. Dtown is pretty hip these days and you won't find exactly that mix of a walkable downtown with a great variety of independent shops, movie theater, and restaurants along with a good amount of open space (although much less in Bucks County than when I was a kid!) Newton is somewhat similar, although more densely populated than Doylestown and above your budget. I believe all of the towns that have been named so far have somewhat better rated schools than CBSD, and most are much smaller districts, which I prefer. I love Sudbury (great schools, lots of conservation land nearby for outdoor activities, very pretty) and would recommend it, along with Concord, but both might be a bit far for commuting.

Oh hey fellow Dtowner !! Yes Dtown is a unique place with lots to offer and while I’m regretting this move I’m also looking forward to a change. It’s interesting how most of these schools surpass CB in test scores etc.

My husband loves Sudbury and Sharon the most. Milton was recently added to our list however it is densely populated.

FYI - We spent some time in Westford and did get a Dtown vibe from the folks we met. Unfortunately, a bit too far.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:01 PM

154 posts, read 257,027 times
Quote:
Oh hey fellow Dtowner !! Yes Dtown is a unique place with lots to offer and while I’m regretting this move I’m also looking forward to a change. It’s interesting how most of these schools surpass CB in test scores etc.

My husband loves Sudbury and Sharon the most. Milton was recently added to our list however it is densely populated.

FYI - We spent some time in Westford and did get a Dtown vibe from the folks we met. Unfortunately, a bit too far.

My parents still live in Doylestown and I like going back to visit, but I prefer MA at this point, although I do wish there were more walkable downtown areas around here. PA has state parks, but nothing like the conservation land here in MA- so many nearby options for a family hike, mountain biking, kayaking, trail running, etc. The water is colder than the Jersey Shore, but I think the beaches on the Cape or the North Shore are so much nicer, and it's an easy trip up to NH, VT, or ME for skiing, hiking, sightseeing, etc. Good luck with the move!! If you end up looking in Sudbury I'm happy to answer any questions!

Old 01-01-2018, 08:43 PM

550 posts, read 680,716 times
Quote:
Yes, school district. Are you a resident of Milton? Are there specific areas of Milton that are more and less desirable?
My husband and I are in our late 30s with two young sons 6 and 3. We are both black professionals in the tech/engineering fields and enjoy the outdoors. I’m hoping to find a neighborhood with a good mix of folks with from similar walks of life.

Milton has a decent size African American population. Overall Milton is a great town with great schools.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:03 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrailstris View Post
I love Sudbury (great schools, lots of conservation land nearby for outdoor activities, very pretty) and would recommend it, along with Concord, but both might be a bit far for commuting.
Concord is a great town- downtown and west concord both offer some walkabiity and an eclectic mix of old and new. The commute won't be a lot of fun, but it's definitely worth exploring. If I had to guess, you'll find it the most unique and charming of the bunch.

It's that much closer than Westford/Acton, and the schools are just as good.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:36 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
You’re right. There’s hardly any diversity in DTown. Mass seems to be more diverse than PA. Hoping to find a town that does.

There’s a ferry from North Station that most employees take to seaport.

Thanks for suggested towns!
The Philly metro is a lot more diverse than the Boston metro, but Bucks County is pretty far from Philadelphia. You'll certainly be able to find somewhere more diverse than Doylestown if that is important to you.

As for shuttles and ferries, the fewer transfers you have to make the happier you will be. I walk 30 minutes in the cold to avoid a transfer. You can walk to the Seaport district from South Station; you can also take a bus. It's a much easier commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts