Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:40 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,041,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
I'm surprised by all of the school cancellations tomorrow.

When I was in HS - 1995-1999 - I recall one two-day snow day in four years. In my entire life really.

Now it seems like all the schools do it all the time.

I think it's pretty soft. It stopped snowing at 6:00 where I am. Wake up in the morning and go to school. Towns have all night to clean it up.

Many parents now have to miss work again and possibly lose money they can't afford to lose. In other areas, many children would be safer at school.

Or we just didn't have snow and cold in the 90's. Must have been Clinton's magic touch.
Two things Post 2000 has actually been the snowiest time in Boston history and 2) a lot of coastal town are using schools as shelters since the coastal flooding was so bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
The other aspect is frankly much of school is online now. I recall typing projects out and printing them but little else. Now there's power school, school dude, black board etc. If you call out a snow day students can now put papers in and that's a huge factor. Add in some webcams and class just doesn't end.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:13 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The other aspect is frankly much of school is online now. I recall typing projects out and printing them but little else. Now there's power school, school dude, black board etc. If you call out a snow day students can now put papers in and that's a huge factor. Add in some webcams and class just doesn't end.
This is all true (and I know teachers from the elementary level through college who demand work be submitted even on snow days); but there are still minimum requirements for days in school at the public school level. I believe it's 180 and I don't know that it's changed at all in decades. So even with technology, the days off are big disruption.

We also had a ton of snow days when I was in school (graduated high school in '04). Many of them were duds. I don't think it's much worse now than it was back then as far as cancellations go.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:10 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbms28 View Post
I'm surprised by all of the school cancellations tomorrow.

When I was in HS - 1995-1999 - I recall one two-day snow day in four years. In my entire life really.

Now it seems like all the schools do it all the time.

I think it's pretty soft. It stopped snowing at 6:00 where I am. Wake up in the morning and go to school. Towns have all night to clean it up.

Many parents now have to miss work again and possibly lose money they can't afford to lose. In other areas, many children would be safer at school.

Or we just didn't have snow and cold in the 90's. Must have been Clinton's magic touch.
It seems that over the past few years, people have been less and less diligent about shoveling their sidewalk. Anyone else notice that? It's now a week past the storm and there are whole roads around the university I work at where no one bothered to shovel the sidewalk, or every few houses are shoveled but the rest were either barely touched and not salted or just not done at all. And these aren't neighborhoods where college students live! People have had to walk out on the street. I have had to dodge college kids trudging down a very busy road because there's no sidewalk to walk on and the road is already narrow from the plows. It's not a good situation.

On Friday evening, I didn't want to deal with driving the 5 minute walk to the 7/11 down the store and needed to pick up some things I missed during the French Toast Extravaganza of Wed. night. I had to walk in the street most of the time - and that was 24 hours after the storm ended! I halfway wonder if schools have to close partially because they know students aren't going to have a safe way to walk to school.

Have towns just stopped fining for unshoveled sidewalks?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Have towns just stopped fining for unshoveled sidewalks?

Not that I'm aware of. I know of several coworkers who told me they received phone recordings from the town telling them they had to shovel their sidewalks by a certain date or get fines. They did it because they've received fines in the past.

My town doesn't require shoveling of sidewalks, which I find strange. However, there's really only a small walkable town center, and other than that residential roads with wide streets. I haven't shoveled my sidewalks, but that's only because nobody is walking the neighborhood right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts