Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:40 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times

Advertisements

Ny DH and I are just turning 60 this year. We are retired with good incomes. I am a small business owner (it can be moved) and we are in general busy friendly people, skilled in many disciplines, serious but artsy, foodies that love to garden. We love the outdoors and we would like to sail again.

We want to travel some before we get too old and favor a vibrant community with reasonable access to larger cities. We are looking at the Berkshire area of Massachusetts. We are also looking at the rest of Mass & New England.

We are looking at a 4 season climate without super scorching summers or bitter cold with wind for much of the winter. We are looking for drought resistant areas due to our gardening passions.

Having lived in Alaska for 35 years and E. Kansas now for 5, we understand that this would likely be our last move. Proximity to family is no consideration as we have almost none left.

I could use some insights to narrow our focus.

Please be kind and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Budget?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Bitter cold with wind in winter...I guess that's relative, but to me, that would rule out the Berkshires. Most of New England has long, cold, snowy winters. Summers are short but hot and muggy. We're not known for our great climate.

It's less hot and muggy if you live by the ocean. There could be places around here where the winters are less severe. I'll let the weather experts take it from here.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:17 AM

We'd like to keep it under $400K. Around $300K is ideal.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:41 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
I would look to the hill towns of Franklin County.

The Berkshires are more NY than MA.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,839,810 times
Look at the thread "Old Farm New Needs" by user "sombrueil"

Similar quest except that poster had very specific idea of house type. Lots of good suggestions, plus she found a site! The general area is farther east than Berkshires per se but still of interest.

Cold is relative. I don't see how anyone 60 or more could feel the winters are anything like what they used to be. Not when it reaches 60, even 70 degrees in February!

Last edited by missionhill; 02-22-2018 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Look at the thread "Old Farm New Needs" by user "sombrueil"

Similar quest except that poster had very specific idea of house type. Lots of good suggestions, plus she found a site!
Thanks. I did search this forum but didn't find what we wanted. Most were young folks looking for a change of scene or work. I'll look that thread up.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 AM

As for the cold, we spent 35 years in Alaska. Here in KS we get constant cycling of deep freezes with remissions which I could take but it's accompanied by 20-30 mph winds. In fact the near constancy of the wind warm or cold gets to me and wears me down. Makes it hard to work or play outside.

I looked up the farm thread and it contains a lot of good info. We are not as specific with our home requirements. I don't mind stairs but we will want a place where we can age gracefully in place. I trend to liking older homes but we are not wanting another huge gut-remodel project. I think my main requirement is a good basement with sound exterior envelope as we've replaced too much neglected siding in our lives and I'm done.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Eastern MA (where I also live) is densely populated and expensive, but western MA is like another state - considerably less expensive and more rural. Mass winters are kind of cold and dark, but it's all relative. I spent 3 weeks outside in Alaska backpacking in your national parks, and I had an outstanding time, but that showed me that Alaska is just a completely different level of cold and dark than northern New England in winter, and even western Mass has higher population density than virtually all of Alaska.

You do need to do your research (as you are doing here here) because some of the rural towns in New England can tend more towards depressed and depressing rather than quaint and old-timey.

This page is kind of cool. It is an interactive geographic information system (GIS) that shows median home price in colors on a map, and you can hover with the mouse pointer over any location to see the town name and the actual median home price. You can pan and zoom to explore central and western MA and get some ideas to follow up on. Anything too expensive, you can't afford of course, and anything too cheap is usually not good either - that means few people want to live there and there is always a reason for that.

This is another GIS that shows crime rates mapped in blue, darker is better.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

For what it's worth, if you like small village rural, the area around Becket, Washington and Middleton looks interesting, and if you want a little more going on, Northampton (which has a college) and Easthampton are worth investigating, and they are still just towns or real small cities if you like. The proximity of Northampton and Easthampton to Rte 91 would also make it real easy to day trip visits in Vermont, which is beautiful.

Last edited by Yac; 12-09-2020 at 02:21 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 06:05 AM

16 posts, read 23,564 times
I’d definitely check out the Pioneer Valley. I find the Valley winters feel less severe than Boston winters because there’s rarely any wind. Hampshire and Franklin Counties both have towns that may fit your criteria. The Pioneer Valley signifantly better gardening/farming soil than most of Mass.

They also have good access to healthcare that you may need as you get older. Every town, except maybe Northampton, is in budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts