Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 05:02 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Im going to go put a 40 foot by 75 foot billboard in the heart of Newton Lower Falls and see how that pans out with the neighborhood.

The individual towns, of course, has their own zoning on these things. They get bogged down in details, quickly. Some towns have a dozen pages in their bylaws just on signage, and most towns (it seems) you need approval from the town for free standing signs. Some towns you even need a certain percentage of people in the neighborhood to sign off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 09:31 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I nominate the "If you lived here, you'd be home now" sign that's always been at the eastern end of Storrow Drive at the perpetual traffic jam as most annoying. I haven't been on that stretch of Storrow Drive recently but Google Maps shows it's still there.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:43 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Oh man, that's a classic!

Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 AM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I nominate the "If you lived here, you'd be home now" sign that's always been at the eastern end of Storrow Drive at the perpetual traffic jam as most annoying. I haven't been on that stretch of Storrow Drive recently but Google Maps shows it's still there.

That's been there forever!

Old 01-10-2020, 09:01 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
There seems to be more billboards popping up all along 93 south as well as on the Mass Pike. It's actually ruining that New England feel I associated with miles and miles of uninterrupted trees lining the interstates in MA.

We're becoming more like RI in many ways.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:34 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
There seems to be more billboards popping up all along 93 south as well as on the Mass Pike. It's actually ruining that New England feel I associated with miles and miles of uninterrupted trees lining the interstates in MA.

We're becoming more like RI in many ways.
RI is new England though. CT has a lot of billboards to-and they allow ones for adult stores and entertainment. New England is a diverse groups of states and tastes. Its a modern world old local traditions and customs giveway to more national trends.

Lots of people in CT RI and MA (where most new Englanders live) probably don't associate it with a lack of billboards. Generally I find these states not to different than what i see in the mid-atlantic. Its the south where billboards become grotesques and intrusive. Northern FLorida was literally shocking as I travelled to Gainesville. Billboards only 10 feet off the ground every 30 yards. for miles...

When I learned just a few years ago that Vermont NH ME had essentially banned billboards because they were tacky was odd to me-i thought of it and still do think of it as snobby and business unfriendly. I think MA has good balance of billboard advertisement in general. I like some billboards they can be interesting, helpful and give me a sense of the culture of a place in an indirect way. Conversation fodder at times.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:51 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
RI/CT have more billboards than MA traditionally. Outside Rt 1, 9 etc, there were few billboards in MA. We were more similar to VT/NH/ME than RI/CT, always have in many ways culturally and historically. But I have definitely noticed an uptick of billboards on the interstates, especially on Mass Pike in the past 2 years.

The Morgan & Morgan billboards are annoying too, especially that guy (I assume one of the Morgans) with the fat face. Lawyer ads are definitely the worst, low rent places are full of them.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
RI/CT have more billboards than MA traditionally. Outside Rt 1, 9 etc, there were few billboards in MA. We were more similar to VT/NH/ME than RI/CT, always have in many ways culturally and historically. But I have definitely noticed an uptick of billboards on the interstates, especially on Mass Pike in the past 2 years.

The Morgan & Morgan billboards are annoying too, especially that guy (I assume one of the Morgans) with the fat face. Lawyer ads are definitely the worst, low rent places are full of them.
How? Maybe i'm just too young to understand. That has certainly not been my experience.

And historically NH VT and ME were not even really populated or settled no? Rhode Island the state and several places in CT were founded by MA residents.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

And historically NH VT and ME were not even really populated or settled no? Rhode Island the state and several places in CT were founded by MA residents.

Roger Williams was kicked out of Massachusetts.

Of course, he was kicked out for objecting to civil authorities punishing religious dissent and confiscating Indian land. From a 21st century perspective, Roger Williams was the good guy.

Maine was part of Massachusetts and wasn't even a state until 1820. The Missouri Compromise.

I think it's mostly a rural vs urban thing. Northern New England has no large cities. Manchester is as big as it gets. The non-Springfield/Holyoke part of western Massachusetts has more in common with northern New England than the Boston metro. The rural CT Berkshires, Killingly CT, and Foster/Glocester RI don't have much in common with Providence/Hartford/New Haven/Lower Fairfield County.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Roger Williams was kicked out of Massachusetts.

Of course, he was kicked out for objecting to civil authorities punishing religious dissent and confiscating Indian land. From a 21st century perspective, Roger Williams was the good guy.

Maine was part of Massachusetts and wasn't even a state until 1820. The Missouri Compromise.

I think it's mostly a rural vs urban thing. Northern New England has no large cities. Manchester is as big as it gets. The non-Springfield/Holyoke part of western Massachusetts has more in common with northern New England than the Boston metro. The rural CT Berkshires, Killingly CT, and Foster/Glocester RI don't have much in common with Providence/Hartford/New Haven/Lower Fairfield County.
i agree with all this- MA RI CT are defined more so by their urban population centers though even though they have some nice rural areas reminiscent of northern new england-its not central to their identity really. Manie being a part of Massachusetts is well known but wow, that was quite literally 200 years ago.

Density, diversity, public infrastructure, development in general (e.g. billboards) and economic might are just a few of the things separate Southern from Northern NE as well as to a lesser extent, weather (WHY is it so cold up there? and its so close by)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts