Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 02:14 PM

188 posts, read 283,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
As for Toll Brothers, the horror stories seem to bare truth. Some years back, prior to the Shrewsbury town inspector 'discouraging' the use of thermo-ply sheathing, Toll Brothers threw up a high end (in name only) development using the stuff. When the first nor'easter blew through it ripped the siding off homes as the contractors didn't hit the studs. Turns out thin compressed paper doesn't hold nails well. The homes which managed to retain their siding showed wavy walls and other undesirables over time. There was a Globe article addressing it written some years back - not a good situation.
These are anecdotal stories/reports. Again, they build hundreds of houses every year, probably even thousands and the majority of people are happy. As with everything else, only those who unfortunately had problems would complain and that's why we hear only the bad stories. In addition, there are so many horror stories and complaints about smaller/local contractors as well. I do not know a single Toll community that is not sold out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 02:39 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS-GR View Post
These are anecdotal stories/reports. Again, they build hundreds of houses every year, probably even thousands and the majority of people are happy. As with everything else, only those who unfortunately had problems would complain and that's why we hear only the bad stories. In addition, there are so many horror stories and complaints about smaller/local contractors as well. I do not know a single Toll community that is not sold out.
But they've used the same materials in all their houses, it isn't just a case of screwing up on 1 or 2 homes in a development. If they use inferior materials, then over time they will all have problems.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:20 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
But they've used the same materials in all their houses, it isn't just a case of screwing up on 1 or 2 homes in a development. If they use inferior materials, then over time they will all have problems.
I think to NS-GR's point if they screw up one development a year that still represents a small percentage of the houses they build nationwide. They're likely not building homes 100% the same across the country and the quality of the houses in a particular neighborhood can have a lot to do with how good the site supervisor on that project is and how good the crew they've hired to work in the neighborhood is.

Still, I like my odds better of getting a high quality home if I'm working with a smaller scale local builder who I know builds a good house.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:58 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Oh, yes I'd rather buy from a local builder which is what we did.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd correlate 'selling out' with being 'well built' - unlike durable goods (e.g., vehicles), it is not particularly easy for consumers to cross-shop builders due to limited land and time frames.

As for being anecdotal stories, this problem wasn't isolated to just the Shrewsbury development. In 2001, some 60% of Toll Brothers 1,200+ homes built used Thermo-ply sheathing. This happened over 10 separate sub-divisions, including the towns of Shrewsbury, Westborough, and Sharon. One can infer from the article that Toll would have used more thermo-ply had towns like Bedford and Hopkington not pushed back (I assume the higher price point played into it as well).

The whole incident sniffs of a publicly traded corp seeking cost efficiencies at the expense of the consumer.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:09 PM

188 posts, read 283,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'm not sure I'd correlate 'selling out' with being 'well built' - unlike durable goods (e.g., vehicles), it is not particularly easy for consumers to cross-shop builders due to limited land and time frames.

As for being anecdotal stories, this problem wasn't isolated to just the Shrewsbury development. In 2001, some 60% of Toll Brothers 1,200+ homes built used Thermo-ply sheathing. This happened over 10 separate sub-divisions, including the towns of Shrewsbury, Westborough, and Sharon. One can infer from the article that Toll would have used more thermo-ply had towns like Bedford and Hopkington not pushed back (I assume the higher price point played into it as well).

The whole incident sniffs of a publicly traded corp seeking cost efficiencies at the expense of the consumer.
So, you are implying that local builders were not using this material?
In any case, I personally like Toll Brothers' houses a lot and we've had a very nice experience (so far )

Old 06-19-2018, 11:59 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstatus View Post
Brookline or Cambridge. $2 million should get a solid SFH in either area, but you should consider raising your budget for a high end or newer construction home. Both areas are incredibly convenient and walkable, combined with a serene residential feel.
Cambridge? If you want a tiny, ancient house with no yard and tons of traffic, sure.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:14 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
So, you are implying that local builders were not using this material?
In any case, I personally like Toll Brothers' houses a lot and we've had a very nice experience (so far )
No, comparable price-point builds in town were using plywood as regional builders knew the thermo-ply sheathing wasn't well suited for our environment and any material cost savings came with with notable caveats ('bellying' between studs, no fastener retention). Toll's build practices might have changed, but during the mid-90's through early 00's building boom, their build practices were questionable at best - even if 'to code'.

I'm happy to hear you enjoy your home and certainly hope you don't encounter any issues downstream.

Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 PM

18 posts, read 31,307 times
First of all, thanks for the input and insights into the Boston area suburbs... was interesting to read about all of the pros / cons and what you all find appealing in the different areas. We found many of your observations to be helpful... so thank you.

We focused in on Lexington, Newton, Needham and Wellesley and have chosen Wellesley. We're excited to explore the area and for the opportunity to get to meet new people.

Old 07-19-2018, 06:55 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benton55 View Post
First of all, thanks for the input and insights into the Boston area suburbs... was interesting to read about all of the pros / cons and what you all find appealing in the different areas. We found many of your observations to be helpful... so thank you.

We focused in on Lexington, Newton, Needham and Wellesley and have chosen Wellesley. We're excited to explore the area and for the opportunity to get to meet new people.
Congrats. Wellesley is a beautiful town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts