Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 12:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,729,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Just listed sfh in newton for 850k

What faults do you see(from photos, description). Location? Small lot? North is kinda busy street yes...

https://www.redfin.com/MA/Newton/20-.../home/11493552
It's a cute house. Kitchen looks very small (although nice and obviously recently updated). It's in a busy area. Even so, I suspect it will sell quickly -- it seems like anything under 1 million tends to sell pretty fast.

But that's just based on looking at the listing. Actually seeing the house might show some things that are not so desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:08 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,679,858 times
I like galley kitchens, but I can't tell if there's any room for a small kitchen table.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I like galley kitchens, but I can't tell if there's any room for a small kitchen table.
From the picture, it didn't look like there was. But it's possible there is an area that we just weren't shown.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:13 PM

OP: It sounds like you would like Boston just fine, based on your "people" section of your reply. Yes, there are some big differences -- some of which are good. Public transit is pretty good (even though people complain all the time, relative to most places it is one of the better ones). Education is excellent, and it sounds like this would be good for your kids. COL is definitely higher -- eons ago, one of my best friends went to Tulane for law school and I went to Boston University. He was certainly able to rent a much bigger and nicer place for far less money than I could. And Tulane's campus was beautiful, especially compared with the essentially nonexistent "campus" of B.U.

And yes, the weather will be much different. We don't have nearly the number of days of humidity that N.O. does. Most of the summer is magnificent. And fall can't be beat. What bothers me most is not so much the winters (which certainly can be cold, but aren't as bad as you might think -- better than say, Buffalo, or northern Minnesota, or ND or MT), but the nonexistent Spring -- we had snow in March, and it is often quite chilly through March, April, most of May, and sometimes even into June. But the week of Spring that we do get is fabulous.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:44 PM

73 posts, read 77,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It's a cute house. Kitchen looks very small (although nice and obviously recently updated). It's in a busy area. Even so, I suspect it will sell quickly -- it seems like anything under 1 million tends to sell pretty fast.

But that's just based on looking at the listing. Actually seeing the house might show some things that are not so desirable.

This is perfect, but we'd be renting. Though, surprisingly, I'd rather that kitchen than any other, and we do love to cook! I love the horseshoe type. With a galley style kitchen, or a kitchen that has a walk-through or connects to a hall or door, imagine 4 kids and cats and spouses (I'm guilty, too) constantly coming and going in and out. It's horrible! This one would fit our needs! However, we'd be renting at first, so we can get a feel for the area. Thanks for your response.

Old 06-29-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
From the picture, it didn't look like there was. But it's possible there is an area that we just weren't shown.
there is a separate dining area in another pic. I love this kitchen!

Old 06-29-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
...And fall can't be beat. What bothers me most is not so much the winters (which certainly can be cold, but aren't as bad as you might think -- better than say, Buffalo, or northern Minnesota, or ND or MT), but the nonexistent Spring -- we had snow in March, and it is often quite chilly through March, April, most of May, and sometimes even into June. But the week of Spring that we do get is fabulous.
We don't have much of a fall here. It' hot until about November. However, our springs are my favorite. They're short lived, though.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:08 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,679,858 times
The south is like 2 months ahead of us in the spring and 2 months behind us in the fall. Your February is like our April and your November is like our September.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:14 PM

880 posts, read 820,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0tsomuch View Post
This is perfect, but we'd be renting. Though, surprisingly, I'd rather that kitchen than any other, and we do love to cook! I love the horseshoe type. With a galley style kitchen, or a kitchen that has a walk-through or connects to a hall or door, imagine 4 kids and cats and spouses (I'm guilty, too) constantly coming and going in and out. It's horrible! This one would fit our needs! However, we'd be renting at first, so we can get a feel for the area. Thanks for your response.
I will say one thing about location in general: its perfect if you have school kids

10 mins walk to middle school and elementary
1.2 miles to newton north high school
Less than 5 mins drive to whole foods
Less than 10 mins drive to 3 other markets
Easy access to freeway
17 mins walk to commuter rail, takes 20 mins to downtown boston. But horrible schedules
Express bus stop just one block away, 30 mins to downtown boston, again horrible schedules
2 blocks from charles river bike path which is a great family activity

Biggest negative is busy street and no easy access to T subway system and awful price in comparison to low COL areas

Just keep these in mind when choosing a newton location

Heres another "rare" under 1m newton listing
849k.. the photos prob look much much better than reality.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/West-Newto.../home/11425540

Last edited by bugelrex; 06-29-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I will say one thing about location in general: its perfect if you have school kids

10 mins walk to middle school and elementary
1.2 miles to newton north high school
Less than 5 mins drive to whole foods
Less than 10 mins drive to 3 other markets
Easy access to freeway
17 mins walk to commuter rail, takes 20 mins to downtown boston. But horrible schedules
Express bus stop just one block away, 30 mins to downtown boston, again horrible schedules
2 blocks from charles river bike path which is a great family activity

Biggest negative is busy street and no easy access to T subway system and awful price in comparison to low COL areas

Just keep these in mind when choosing a newton location

Heres another "rare" under 1m newton listing
849k.. the photos prob look much much better than reality.

https://www.redfin.com/MA/West-Newto.../home/11425540
very useful info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts