Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 11:12 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,926,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0tsomuch View Post
Perfect! Thanks! Thanks to everyone. We want to be realistic. We're moving from New Orleans, where there is little public transportation from out of town. As crazy as it sounds, insurance is cheaper in MA than it is in Louisiana - and New Orleans (we're second highest to MI in the country), so it may benefit him to keep the car. Moving to MA would be a culture shock, to say the least. We're just trying to educate ourselves and make the best decision. I'd be getting a job, too, eventually, but I have to make sure all of the kids are settled in, first. That would help in the future. Thanks again for all the helpful comments. If you have anymore, please let us know.
High costs in MA come with very, very good (maybe the best) k-12 education options in the US, nice communities, and a very strong economy. Finding a job shouldn't be a huge issue.

That said, some of the towns in that $3k rental price range, with close proximity to the city, may be a bit more... urban-ish... than you're accustomed to. I love it, but I've heard countless out-of-towners say that about some of the inner ring suburbs. Look into the communities I recommended- check out things like median household income, density of the population, etc., and compare it to what you find desirable to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:37 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times
[quote=n0tsomuch;52324423]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Perfect! Thanks! Thanks to everyone. We want to be realistic. We're moving from New Orleans, where there is little public transportation from out of town. As crazy as it sounds, insurance is cheaper in MA than it is in Louisiana - and New Orleans (we're second highest to MI in the country), so it may benefit him to keep the car. Moving to MA would be a culture shock, to say the least. We're just trying to educate ourselves and make the best decision. I'd be getting a job, too, eventually, but I have to make sure all of the kids are settled in, first. That would help in the future. Thanks again for all the helpful comments. If you have anymore, please let us know.
I'm from Baton Rouge!

Insurance here isn't all that bad except in very specific cities. You will want a car in all the places mentioned so far on this list. You can go car free in lots of places, but the Boston suburbs are pretty suburban. Commuter rail is great, but it's for 9-5 M-F commuters.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:50 AM

73 posts, read 77,455 times
[quote=jayrandom;52324942]
Quote:

I'm from Baton Rouge!

Insurance here isn't all that bad except in very specific cities. You will want a car in all the places mentioned so far on this list. You can go car free in lots of places, but the Boston suburbs are pretty suburban. Commuter rail is great, but it's for 9-5 M-F commuters.
Awesome! Small world! So, you understand! Yay! Louisiana is like no other. We're not sure how things will work out with his interviews, etc, but we're doing all of our research just in case. I've been learning about the west cost/CO this whole time. I didn't' expect to find tech in Boston. We just want to be prepared. Side question - how's the food in the Boston area in comparison to NOLA/Baton Rouge? What has been the biggest culture shock for you? As for a car, we'd have one for the family fo sho, but we'd be debating on my husband keeping his if he'd just be using it for work, etc.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I didn't' expect to find tech in Boston.
You didn't think you'd find tech in Boston? Heh!?!?

https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/06...valley/530352/
https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...ups-again.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterco.../#2527a4be5aec
https://www.xconomy.com/boston/2017/...cybersecurity/
https://www.builtinboston.com/guides...es-work-boston

Old 06-27-2018, 12:20 PM

Let me correct myself - We didn't think to look on the East Coast.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM

...and, to be honest, the cost of living is so much higher here than any other place we've looked. We have shied away from this side of the country, thus far.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Roger. That makes more sense.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:39 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:

Plenty of it out here. In fact, you don't even need to be inside Boston at all to find tech. Plenty of tech in the office parks scattered between the 495 and 128/95 belts.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Plenty of it out here. In fact, you don't even need to be inside Boston at all to find tech. Plenty of tech in the office parks scattered between the 495 and 128/95 belts.
Very true.

If you do end up sticking around Greater Boston OP, and you want to start in the community you'd likely stay in, you want to stay somewhat neutral in location. For me, that means not going too far North/South as many of the tech jobs can be found in the 'tech belt' between Waltham and Woburn.

My suggestions should all check that box with the exception of Hingham.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Towns like Winchester, Newton, Brookline, Belmont, Cambridge, Wellesley likely will not offer rentals in that price range. But, it's worth a look. SFH certainly won't be an option in Brookline, Cambridge, Newton. Even if you were to bend on top-tier schools, safe areas with lots to do in close proximity to Boston, like Somerville, will be too expensive.
I wonder why is Newton so much more affordable than others when it's so close to Boston. It seems that is the closest match, if we want to live closer to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts