Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 3,480 times

Advertisements

Seems like it's easier getting to the airport from the eastern towns (Andover, Reading) than from Westford/Littleton/Acton, right? That might help make our decision easier since my husband will have to travel often for work. I have some good info about Andover, but are there certain sections of Reading that are more family-friendly or would make the commute to Billerica easier than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:53 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
I live in Burlington and it sounds like he will be working somewhere on Middlesex Tpk. Access to that area during rush hour can be difficult - lots of commercial development in the 3 towns in that corner.

I moved to Burlington 25 years ago with the plan of living here for 3-5 years and then decamp to Lexington or Winchester. I commuted to Charlestown and my wife to the West End of Boston. After a while friends were made, kids came along, and moving didn't make sense. My kids are now in college and we feel that made the right choice to add onto our house and stay.

Burlington has lots to offer:

great family town
lots of shopping, dining, and grocery stores located on one end of town
reasonable prices which have been increasing for years as people understand the bargain it is when compared to Lexington, Bedford, Winchester
strong commercial development which allows for lower residential tax rates than other towns
easy access to 128 and 3 with 93 into Boston and the airport close by
hospital right in town
solid schools which are expected to get better as more million dollar home buyers are priced out of other towns
fiscally sound town government.

$750K will get you a renovated split, Gambrel, or Cape. If you are looking for a center entrance colonial, you will be in the $850K+ for an existing or $1 million+ bracket for new construction. Here are some examples:

$740K - 4 BR split that looks nicely renovated

$679K - 4 BR Gambrel on cut through street

4 BR New Build Colonial on a main road - 1 of 3 houses crammed into a legal lot (100') of frontage but most the land is wet.

4 BR New Build Colonial on a cul-de-sac

Ask me whatever you want either here.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:53 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,924,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl081 View Post
Seems like it's easier getting to the airport from the eastern towns (Andover, Reading) than from Westford/Littleton/Acton, right? That might help make our decision easier since my husband will have to travel often for work. I have some good info about Andover, but are there certain sections of Reading that are more family-friendly or would make the commute to Billerica easier than others?
Logan yes, Manchester no. Manchester has far fewer direct flights, but is such a nice airport to get in and out of including no traffic. We have family in consulting that does the Mon-Thurs every week travel thing.. They rely on Manchester airport.

For Reading, the most desirable neighborhoods are west of main st/28, especially the areas in the historic district. On a map, look for Southwest Reading around Woburn St, Summer Ave, Walnut St. Absolutely gorgeous area, fairly walkable, and some nice neighborhood parks around. Commute via backroads would be 30-40 minutes door to door.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:58 PM

161 posts, read 231,200 times
I live in Acton and commuted to Burlington (near Wayside) for several years. It usually took about 30 minutes. My husband commutes to Bedford (near Hartwell), and it takes him 20 minutes. Acton is very geared towards families with kids. We have school choice among 6 elementary schools with different teaching philosophies (project oriented, traditional classroom, etc) and lots of recreation activities. I like that we have access to 2 commuter rail stations nearby (South Acton and West Concord) with stop in Cambridge (biotech and tech industries), and can easily commute to job centers in Burlington and Waltham. We live within minutes of Emerson Hospital, which was very convenient when I was pregnant. Emerson has a fairly new maternity wing.

700-800 will get a nice home in Acton. Acton is a quiet suburb with the basic stuff you mentioned, but we don't have a lot of night life or fancy restaurants. If you prefer a place with more "stuff", I would consider Burlington.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:06 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Acton to Hartwell Ave. in 20 minutes at a normal commute time?? I could see it if you live on 2A right on the Acton/Concord line but get out to the Boxborough line or Quail Ridge and it's easily 40 minutes.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:09 PM

161 posts, read 231,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Acton to Hartwell Ave. in 20 minutes at a normal commute time?? I could see it if you live on 2A right on the Acton/Concord line but get out to the Boxborough line or Quail Ridge and it's easily 40 minutes.
Yes, I live near the Concord line. I should have specified that. Acton is geographically spread out, so you should factor that into commute times. Also, the roads around Burlington/Bedford/Billerica are very busy, and one small accident can turn your commute into a nightmare with no good way around it.

Last edited by 00na; 12-28-2018 at 03:34 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 06:54 AM

137 posts, read 149,940 times
I live in Stow and a neighbor works in Burlington (near Billrecia) not the best commute, I would look at Acton or closer to the job with the budget you have.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,455 times
I would definitely look at Acton. Because it is a polished suburb and has one of the top school districts in the state. Also do a search for acton homes in the $750k - $800 k range. You will get a lot more for your money than in Andover, Burlington or Bedford. Also NARA park in Acton and the Bruce Freeman trail are absolute gems for both young and old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts