Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM

113 posts, read 104,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
You are essentially outside of 128 when you adjust for the location bias of Braintree (due south).

Western locations are worth more due to their enhanced accessibility to more sections of 128 and 90. Thats why the "rich" towns are west and many are outside of 128 and you claim to never want to live there. Weston, Wayland, Wellesley, Dover, Needham, etc. All outside of 128.

Braintree isn't a very good location for commuting to 128. You are likely giving up on appreciation by not having good 128 accessability due to being so far south.
How is Braintree not a good location for commuting to 128 when literally it's located where the split is? Meaning by definition it has great access to 95 and 93? And "128 boundary" is pretty much 14 mile radius circle from Boston, with North Station-ish being the center. Braintree, as well as Quincy are pretty much in that radius despite not technically being "in 128".

I don't really care about whether a town is "rich" or not. I don't know why you keep on mentioning that. I try not to waste time speculating on housing prices unless it's obvious, e.g. buying multiple condos in South End due to white flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 09:16 AM

622 posts, read 563,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbree View Post
How is Braintree not a good location for commuting to 128 when literally it's located where the split is? Meaning by definition it has great access to 95 and 93? And "128 boundary" is pretty much 14 mile radius circle from Boston, with North Station-ish being the center. Braintree, as well as Quincy are pretty much in that radius despite not technically being "in 128".

I don't really care about whether a town is "rich" or not. I don't know why you keep on mentioning that. Only an idiot buys a house for appreciation, in my opinion.
Simple geometry. 128 is a half circle. You are located at the very bottom of the half circle. From braintree you can commute within the bottom half of the half circle but the top half is likely pretty long especially during rush hour.

From the midpoint of the half circle (roughly 128/90 interchange) You have greater access to the top or bottom halves. Thats why those areas are generally worth much more. if you look at a heat map of the area of price per square foot you will see this westerly bias.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I'd be curious to hear stories from you where the parents have a 200K+ household income, stay in Boston and their kids do poorly compared to the same kinds of parents who send their kids to the suburbs. The whole "schools are better!" thing is just an illusion suburbanites tell themselves to justify their relatively long commutes.

It's not the schools. It's the peer group and the parents of that peer group. That's why metro Boston has ended up being so dramatically socioeconomically segregated. There's endless data about outcomes of children of 5%ers in the United States. The Economist tends to do a big spread on it every couple of years since the US has largely turned into a class society even exceeding the Brits. If you're a 5%er, you live in a 5%er place, and your kids hang out with children of other 5%ers, the data is there that the odds are really high that the kids will end up 5%ers. The whole rags to riches 'Murican dream thing has vaporized. It's why the orange cheeto is tweeting from the White House.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Simple geometry. 128 is a half circle. You are located at the very bottom of the half circle. From braintree you get to the bottom half of the half circle but the top half is likely pretty long especially during rush hour.

From the midpoint of the half circle (roughly 128/90 interchange) You have greater access to the top or bottom half of the half circle.
OK. I'm embarrassed I've wasted this time talking about this. Enjoy your commute.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's not the schools. It's the peer group and the parents of that peer group. That's why metro Boston has ended up being so dramatically socioeconomically segregated. There's endless data about outcomes of children of 5%ers in the United States. The Economist tends to do a big spread on it every couple of years since the US has largely turned into a class society even exceeding the Brits. If you're a 5%er, you live in a 5%er place, and your kids hang out with children of other 5%ers, the data is there that the odds are really high that the kids will end up 5%ers. The whole rags to riches 'Murican dream thing has vaporized. It's why the orange cheeto is tweeting from the White House.
I don't disagree with your assertion at all. However if you look at earnings the highest correlated factor to mid-career salary is actually just the socioeconomic status of your parents.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
OK. I'm embarrassed I've wasted this time talking about this. Enjoy your commute.
I'm surprised you don't understand this stuff.. It's pretty simple really.

I have a 15 minute commute waiting for me literally any time i want it. Unfortunately due to large RSU golden handcuffs I'm stuck at my employer for a bit. I'm making quite a bit of money for that commute

Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Quote:
The whole "schools are better!" thing is just an illusion suburbanites tell themselves to justify their relatively long commutes.
...and to avoid acknowledging their exercise of white privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
LOL!
And that is why it's a good thing for parents with economic choices to send their kids to racially and economically diverse schools like BLS, BLA, O'Bryant, Rindge & Latin, Somerville HS, rather than insisting on Lexington, Winchester, Dover-Sherborn, Lincoln-Sudbury, etc.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:

So just because my current commute is 45 minutes and i'm wasting all that time listening to podcasts that doesn't mean this will continue in perpetuity. I can get a significantly better commute literally any time i want. Who knows, maybe over time more jobs will shift west and i'll have even more high paying jobs within short commutes to choose from.

Same goes for you. How do you know that in 10 years there won't be some hot company located out in the "suburbs" in Waltham or Framingham and you get a GREAT offer there that you cant pass up. You might be stuck with a longer commute too.
That's true for people who can get jobs out there, maybe you should consider it! But it seems to me that there are more jobs at most desireable companies to work for in the city. I don't even consider jobs out there, so many options in the city and I gain so much time with my short commute.. Sure space is tight in the city but that's why they are aggressively building out Kendall, Seaport and Assembly and why so many companies are moving back into the city, Puma being the latest one to come to Somerville. The green line extension is going to put tens of thousands of households within a short train ride to urban jobs. And Boynton Yards and Suffolk Downs haven't even started being developed but they will be...

Oh and you gave Bose as an example: https://www.wbur.org/bostonomix/2017...n-suburbs-move

And... https://www.americaninno.com/boston/...oston-in-2017/

Quote:
Did you know that if you sum up all white collar employment within the greater boston metro area, the majority of it is in the suburbs? 128, 90, and 495 carry a lot of employment in the area.
No, that does not seem to be where the hiring is happening by a long shot. If you go to Indeed and search on jobs over 70k in the area, you get this many matches. Increase the salary and an even higher percentage are in the city.
https://www.indeed.com/q-Metro-$70,000-l-Boston,-MA-jobs.html

Boston, MA (130)
Cambridge, MA (69)
Burlington, MA (18)
Everett, MA (10)
Waltham, MA (9)
Chelmsford, MA (7)
Newton, MA (6)
Andover, MA (5)
Braintree, MA (5)
Quincy, MA (5)
Malden, MA (4)
Somerville, MA (4)
Framingham, MA (3)
Chelsea, MA (3)
Watertown, MA (2)

Last edited by semiurbanite; 02-08-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-08-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
That's true for people who can get jobs out there, maybe you should consider it! But it seems to me that there are more jobs at most desireable companies to work for in the city. I don't even consider jobs out there, so many options in the city and I gain so much time with my short commute.. Sure space is tight in the city but that's why they are aggressively building out Kendall, Seaport and Assembly and why so many companies are moving back into the city, Puma being the latest one to come to Somerville. The green line extension is going to put tens of thousands of households within a short train ride to urban jobs. And Boynton Yards and Suffolk Downs haven't even started being developed but they will be...

Oh and you gave Bose as an example: https://www.wbur.org/bostonomix/2017...n-suburbs-move

And... https://www.americaninno.com/boston/...oston-in-2017/

If you go to Indeed and search on jobs over 70k in the area, you get this many matches, not sure where your claim that most jobs are in the suburbs comes from with Boston/Cambridge taking a big majority https://www.indeed.com/q-Metro-$70,000-l-Boston,-MA-jobs.html

Boston, MA (130)
Cambridge, MA (69)
Burlington, MA (18)
Everett, MA (10)
Waltham, MA (9)
Chelmsford, MA (7)
Newton, MA (6)
Andover, MA (5)
Braintree, MA (5)
Quincy, MA (5)
Malden, MA (4)
Somerville, MA (4)
Framingham, MA (3)
Chelsea, MA (3)
Watertown, MA (2)
Puma? They are a small fry. Kendall and Seaport are rapidly reaching full build out. They will slow down soon. I don't think Suffolk Downs will be popular. There is a reason amazon didn't go for it. It's too far out of the way, especially for executives. Executives don't mind Boston/Cambridge when they live in Newton and Belmont. Suffolk downs is a PITA to get to by car.

Did you even read the article about Bose? They only have an outpost in Boston and it is in Boston Landing which is west of the city. They still have a huge office in Framingham and are hiring tons of people. Boston Landing is also pretty good commute from Natick, especially leaving at 9am. Probably take me 30-35min door to door to commute there.

Your research in job numbers is obviously flawed.

First, you need to be looking at actual jobs not just new job listings. You can look at total office square footage as a proxy for that. There are reports online.

Second, your analysis is obviously off since glassdoor has something like 400+ software engineer positions in the town of Waltham alone. Burlington has i think 300+ and lexington has 200+. Check the Bose website, i think they have something like 50 positions open in framingham right now. I think there are over 150 engineer positions listed in Framingham right now.

Mathworks (Natick isn't on your list) has 100s of open positions. All paying well over 100k.

But this kind of analysis is stupid anyway because you are ignoring thousands of existing positions and only looking at new job listings.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Puma? They are a small fry. Kendall and Seaport are rapidly reaching full build out. They will slow down soon. I don't think Suffolk Downs will be popular. There is a reason amazon didn't go for it. It's too far out of the way, especially for executives. Executives don't mind Boston/Cambridge when they live in Newton and Belmont. Suffolk downs is a PITA to get to by car.

Did you even read the article about Bose? They only have an outpost in Boston and it is in Boston Landing which is west of the city. They still have a huge office in Framingham and are hiring tons of people. Boston Landing is also pretty good commute from Natick, especially leaving at 9am. Probably take me 30-35min door to door to commute there.

Your research in job numbers is obviously flawed.

First, you need to be looking at actual jobs not just new job listings. You can look at total office square footage as a proxy for that. There are reports online.

Second, your analysis is obviously off since glassdoor has something like 400+ software engineer positions in the town of Waltham alone. Burlington has i think 300+ and lexington has 200+. Check the Bose website, i think they have something like 50 positions open in framingham right now. I think there are over 150 engineer positions listed in Framingham right now.

Mathworks (Natick isn't on your list) has 100s of open positions. All paying well over 100k.

But this kind of analysis is stupid anyway because you are ignoring thousands of existing positions and only looking at new job listings.
It's still a good proxy for job growth and location, LinkedIn Jobs has similar numbers - far more in the city. I think the bottom line is your best odds are to be close to the city, after the city it's Waltham and Burlington but far fewer jobs and even if you got one in Burlington it's pretty far from Natick in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts