Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2020, 03:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With what Liverpool is doing, the Red Sox could hemorrhage money and Fenway Sports Group would still be raking in huge profits.
Fenway Sports Group was recently valued at $6.6 BILLION (the initial investment was the Sox were purchase for $700 million)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 04:25 PM

17,749 posts, read 9,208,286 times
The trade has not been finalized and is currently "delayed". There's a problem with one of the medical evaluations (Dodgers guy). The Red Sox are requesting more compensation.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:01 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Fenway Sports Group was recently valued at $6.6 BILLION (the initial investment was the Sox were purchase for $700 million)
FSG is comprised of many pieces which the Red Sox are the most valuable piece at around $2.7 billion. Add in the following:

Fenway Park
Property around Fenway
Liverpool FC
Anfield Stadium
Roush Fenway Racing
NESN
Fenway Sports Management
Salem Red Sox.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:26 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There's a problem with one of the medical evaluations (Dodgers guy).
No, it's Twins Guy (Graterol).

Old 02-07-2020, 07:31 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Oh well, at least Fenway tickets will be cheap this year.
Currently as little as $8 during the first week of the season.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:16 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,933 times
I'm perfectly fine with not giving them a cent this year other than watching ads served on TV. They could have dumped salary a hundred different ways, but instead they jettisoned one of the best players in baseball and the clear fan favorite. This is the equivalent of if the Yankees had traded Jeter in 2002. Could you imagine that? What that would have done to both franchise and player? I think this is very similar. So what if he won't sign for your price. You have to let him walk on his own terms.

I understand the luxury tax issue, but this was a disastrous PR move. There were other things they could have done. This new GM has a Grand Canyon to dig himself out of.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
I mean, Bradley should go too.

But what else could they have done? They needed to dump Price. They weren't going to sign him so they wanted to get something. Not sure what else they should have dumped.

This isn't on the new GM at all. He was over a barrel. Only a few teams could take a player like Betts. One is in division, so that wasn't going to happen. He had to move him, so he was really handcuffed and had no leverage.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:44 AM

17,749 posts, read 9,208,286 times
https://twitter.com/PeteAbe/status/1225804822533804034

Old 02-07-2020, 10:10 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I mean, Bradley should go too.

But what else could they have done? They needed to dump Price. They weren't going to sign him so they wanted to get something. Not sure what else they should have dumped.

This isn't on the new GM at all. He was over a barrel. Only a few teams could take a player like Betts. One is in division, so that wasn't going to happen. He had to move him, so he was really handcuffed and had no leverage.
As an armchair GM (and an armchair nearly-everything-else), I don't know what I'm talking about, but I would have held a fire sale on the pitchers. Price, Sale, Eovaldi. Unload those contracts for next to nothing in return. Maybe even less than nothing (some cash for part of their contracts). As it is, we traded our best player, are still on the hook for half of Price's contract, and have two horrible contracts tied up with two very damaged arms.

This OF from LA may be decent, but the pitcher from the Twins has ballooned in weight and failed his physical.

My point is, do I trade Betts for a less expensive Verdugo? Nope. I hold on to Betts another year for under market value, and if he walks after that, he walks. It's not on the Sox, then. And if he walked, no one would cry about not having a semi-OK OF. They'd just get another. But what just happened is a PR disaster. Fans are beyond disappointed.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
As an armchair GM (and an armchair nearly-everything-else), I don't know what I'm talking about, but I would have held a fire sale on the pitchers. Price, Sale, Eovaldi. Unload those contracts for next to nothing in return. Maybe even less than nothing (some cash for part of their contracts). As it is, we traded our best player, are still on the hook for half of Price's contract, and have two horrible contracts tied up with two very damaged arms.

This OF from LA may be decent, but the pitcher from the Twins has ballooned in weight and failed his physical.

My point is, do I trade Betts for a less expensive Verdugo? Nope. I hold on to Betts another year for under market value, and if he walks after that, he walks. It's not on the Sox, then. And if he walked, no one would cry about not having a semi-OK OF. They'd just get another. But what just happened is a PR disaster. Fans are beyond disappointed.

Price had no value. We had to pair him with a top player and pay half just to dump him.

Eovaldi has no value with that ridiculous contract with injuries.

Sale has a lot of years left. I think they just resigned him. Also, you need some arms. As it is we are short.

If he walked for nothing some people would be upset, just like some people are upset now. Not much difference, but at least now MAYBE we get something. Most sox fans I know are more upset we waited and therefore got pennies. It was a mismanaged asset. I don't sense much disappointment beyond that.

Dombrowski porked the team straight up.

I'm more upset about the Celtics non movement at the trade deadline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts