Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 06:03 PM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchilly View Post
It depends on where one lives in Somerville and where one lives in Wellesley. Somerville, like Boston, has pockets of extreme prestige. Wellesley is pretty good overall but there are certain neighborhoods that are very prestigious.

I'd say on average, a SFH in Davis Square somerville is more prestigious (but not massively so) than an average SFH in Wellesley. A SFH near Harvard Square Cambridge would be more prestigious than Wellesley or Davis Square. 10-15 years this wasn't the case for Davis Square but it was still the case for Harvard Square. Times change and Davis Square is a very prestigious urban neighborhood now. Massively more prestigious than Andover.

Now do you get it?

Face it man, you have a hard on for Andover and it's nothing but a glorified mcmansionized white collar wage slave ghetto. Its a 150k a year ghetto if you ask me.
Cut it out. You don't know the meaning of the term prestigious. You are derailing the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 05:40 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
I didn't say Natick was very prestigious. I said it was MORE prestigious than Andover.

prestigious doesn't occur until probably at least 500-600 PPSQFT. Newton is prestigious not Natick. Andover is certainly not prestigious. The glory days are over for Andover.
Wrongo on that one boyo especially among those in MA over 50. Next you will be saying Natick is more prestigious than Needham, Wellesley, Wayland. Prestige is not cost.

One reason retains and will retain prestige is due to Phillips Andover Academy being located there.

A unknown Andover fact. A few years back Andover had more US Military dollars spent per capita in the town than any other MA town. And the answer is Raytheon Missile Systems Division ala Patriot Missile System.

Last edited by johngolf; 04-12-2019 at 05:52 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 06:31 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
It depends on where one lives in Somerville and where one lives in Wellesley. Somerville, like Boston, has pockets of extreme prestige. Wellesley is pretty good overall but there are certain neighborhoods that are very prestigious.

I'd say on average, a SFH in Davis Square somerville is more prestigious (but not massively so) than an average SFH in Wellesley. A SFH near Harvard Square Cambridge would be more prestigious than Wellesley or Davis Square. 10-15 years this wasn't the case for Davis Square but it was still the case for Harvard Square. Times change and Davis Square is a very prestigious urban neighborhood now. Massively more prestigious than Andover.

Now do you get it?

Face it man, you have a hard on for Andover and it's nothing but a glorified mcmansionized white collar wage slave ghetto. Its a 150k a year ghetto if you ask me.
I have a lot of clients in North Andover and Andover making 300, 400, 500, 600+ in regular neighborhoods. Seven figure incomes are not uncommon in these towns either..

also there are a good amount of middle class in the area aswell. I'm not really sure about Andover but I lived in North Andover and we werent the only working class / middle class people in town. Our street was also pretty diverse

Last edited by Space_League; 04-12-2019 at 06:40 AM..

Old 04-12-2019, 07:10 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Prestigious: Inspiring respect and admiration; having high status

So just to confirm, you're saying that Somerville is more prestigious than Wellesley. Correct?

No, I don't get it. And I would guess that 95% of the MA forum wouldn't either.

I'd prefer to live in Somerville, but someone has to be straight up to think its more prestigious than Wellesley!

Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'd prefer to live in Somerville, but someone has to be straight up to think its more prestigious than Wellesley!
I'd live in Somerville over anywhere in Massachusetts not named Cambridge (and maybe Newburyport in a few years)

Old 04-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlwthprl View Post
I know the definition of the word. I just don't understand who cares once one's kids are up and out! Doesn't anybody let their freak flag fly anymore and abandon the bourgeois?
I'm not defining it for you.

As for the kids up and out part- Because it looks like you are renting, I wouldn't care. If you were buying, I'd care a lot. School systems matter for appreciation, and/or lack of depreciation.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
You got the wrong guy chilly willy.

I bought in Reading over Andover.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Quote:
Are you OK dude?

Nobody asked about Natick, or about Burlington.

Interject about Natick when it's applicable. When someone asks you what your name is, do you reply "Natick is $350k p/sqft!"?

By the way, ppsqft doesn't make a place prestigious. Natick isn't prestigious, nor is Burlington. Is it in higher demand right now than many other towns? Yes. But there is a HUGE delta between prestige and Natick. I'd also add that, despite those numbers, Andover is a nicer town than Natick in my opinion, and will remain so for a long time. Demand n 2019 follows convenience, not prestige or aesthetic.
ouch....town pride can be so sharp on c-d.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I'd live in Somerville over anywhere in Massachusetts not named Cambridge (and maybe Newburyport in a few years)

Same. I kind of like Salem and Gloucester as well though. But yeah.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Prestige can be a part of worth but worth can exist without prestige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts