Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 09:59 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,676,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I made a post in the N.H. forum congratulating them on becoming 10.1% minority and marginally increasing diversity. It was along the lines of “hey welcome to the rest of the country/ modern times” marginally tongue in check but wya mor just a genuine congrats on this new stage and how do y’all feel. I guess they took it the wrong way...

Boy did I get RAILED. They were livid l! called me a racist. and told to go back to Massachusetts. It was incredible. It was like I had said something bad about them. Really kind of scary and unwelcoming how much they didn’t even want to acknowledge it and how much they seemed to hate not being 90%+ white...

Compared to here it was like the twilight zone. I still ah e to look at my red flag for “racists comments” till this day. I literally was congratulating them on what I thought the state was kind of looking for and they thought I was being snark. Very neurotic...
What gives you the right to decide whether or not diversity should be embraced by anyone other than yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 10:06 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You can’t hear tone on the internet, so it’s not surprising some people (especially those with a complex) took that the wrong way. Even in this post it seems a bit snarky.

I think the difference in my mind between MA and NH is that if you said something snarky about MA you’ll probably get more people vehemently agreeing with you and maybe a few tepid defenders.
I get the tone thing but to get whole flagged, and basically banned, and thread deleted over some objective hard data? Seemed like overkill to me (There me way more snark and it gets personal and at times offensive on C-D all the time). Especially when I tried to explain myself and my point multiple times in the thread. Really unwelcoming and unappealing...imagine moving there as a black person with a strong black identity, and sense of culture god help you. And state leaders wonder why they can’t attract a diverse work force.

I already knew New Hampshire was like that but you’d think the more intellectual C-D crowd could take that data and have a meaningful conversation and not be so knew jerk. And a lot of it wasn’t even about meor my post- it was about how they like NH “the way it was” and they weren’t happy about the news.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:08 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times
I'll say it again. I have no reason to believe the NH City-Data forum is any more reflective of the people who actually live there than the MA City-Data forum is of real life MA, which is slim to none. If you let the vibe from a forum such as this shape your views, then you got much bigger issues at hand...

Old 01-11-2020, 10:11 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
What gives you the right to decide whether or not diversity should be embraced by anyone other than yourself?
I can definitely say someone should embrace diveristy, people do that all the time-I can’t mandate that they do. And they don’t/didn’t. That’s fine by me but really sad for the future of the state and that the choose to view life like that...in my opinion. Seems pretty hateful air at least Xenophobic.

Our most economically successful cities, states, and countries-globally- are usually some of the most diverse (sans Japan) or working actively to diversify.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I can definitely say someone should embrace diveristy, people do that all the time-I can’t mandate that they do. And they don’t/didn’t. That’s fine by me but really sad for the future of the state and that the choose to view life like that...in my opinion. Seems pretty hateful air at least Xenophobic.

Our most economically successful cities, states, and countries-globally- are usually some of the most diverse (sans Japan) or working actively to diversify.
"Should" is "definitely" only your opinion. It's a personal choice in a free and democratic society. One may choose to surround oneself with those of similar background for many reasons other than "hate" or "fear.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:29 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Because diversity is appreciated by the vast majority of people. Its kind of like cancer treatment advancements, a lot of people love and appreciate it because it helps and strengthen us. But then there's a few who prefer the status quo and dont want change and kablunk.

My firm is looking to diversify the workplace very fast. We are only about 30% POC, which isnt a good representation of Boston considering its almost 60% POC. It teaches us values beyond our culture, promotes inclusivity and it makes work more productive. Also, you cant have a white frat dude from Weston work in the Mattapan or Uphams Corner area and work with the community and tell us how to make it better. It just wont work.

It also looks very good that Cambridge elected a Muslim Pakistani Women mayor. That will bring representation and confidence to the city and area

Old 01-11-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Because diversity is appreciated by the vast majority of people. Its kind of like cancer treatment advancements, a lot of people love and appreciate it because it helps and strengthen us. But then there's a few who prefer the status quo and dont want change and kablunk.

My firm is looking to diversify the workplace very fast. We are only about 30% POC, which isnt a good representation of Boston considering its almost 60% POC. It teaches us values beyond our culture, promotes inclusivity and it makes work more productive. Also, you cant have a white frat dude from Weston work in the Mattapan or Uphams Corner area and work with the community and tell us how to make it better. It just wont work.

It also looks very good that Cambridge elected a Muslim Pakistani Women mayor. That will bring representation and confidence to the city and area
This is of course, and again, your opinion.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:59 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Quote:
This is of course, and again, your opinion.
Its not an opinion, its whats happening across the Western world. Its the theory they are using.

Personally, I think theres more diversity needed outside races (lgbtq, disabilities, etc) and soley basing diversity off of races is more forced rather natural... like trying to fill a quota.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its not an opinion, its whats happening across the Western world. Its the theory they are using.

Personally, I think theres more diversity needed outside races (lgbtq, disabilities, etc) and soley basing diversity off of races is more forced rather natural... like trying to fill a quota.
Who's "they"? And what "theory"?

Old 01-11-2020, 11:26 AM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:

Do you think it maybe came across as "You all weren't good enough the way you were but now you're getting better."?

This reminds me of some of the posts you see in the southern forums "Aren't you fortunate that northerners are moving into your state so you won't have to be so culturally backwards"? How do you think that sounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts