Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 10:28 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Want to live in the burbs but either can't afford an SFH or don't need that much space.
Developers are building townhomes for boomers aging in place (downsizing from large SFHs) or immigrant families (typically Asian/Indian) - either due to age or cultural expectations, neither of these buyers wish to turn a wrench or mow a lawn.

In a market like Shrewsbury, it's quite common to see Indian buyers pay a premium for a new build condo in the, by western standards, lesser side of town for more capital per sqft than SFHs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 11:51 AM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
I get living in a condo in a downtown urban area like South End or Seaport, but I never understand these large unit condos in the burbs surrounded by freeways, boulevards and strip malls. They're not that cheap either.
After dealing with contractors in MA, i dont blame anyone wanting to absolutely minimize home repairs/renovations

Old 12-30-2019, 12:03 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
The correlation between physical activity and mental acuity is well documented. As is the correlation between activity and happiness.

But, I digress..
Is it? When I was working in Silicon Valley it sure didn't seem like it! Nerds rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
the school system you attend can certainly influence your ability to get into a top, top college.
As your wife must also know, this can also backfire. Kids at Phillips Academy who are average in their class will never get into an Ivy because all of the slots allocated to their school will be taken. That same kid may have made it if they attended Arlington High at the top of their class.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:42 AM

134 posts, read 219,051 times
OP - I am currently living in Lexington and have kids in the school systems, and also lived in Newton before. I consider Lexington school systems basically interchangeable to other metro west school systems (Wellesley, Newton, Brookline, Winchester, Acton, Belmont, etc). I just don't think there is anything plus or minus in Lexington that other school systems don't have. From what I know, all these school systems have their fair share of good (and bad) teachers, tiger parents, competition, overcrowding issue, etc.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:30 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
As your wife must also know, this can also backfire. Kids at Phillips Academy who are average in their class will never get into an Ivy because all of the slots allocated to their school will be taken. That same kid may have made it if they attended Arlington High at the top of their class.
I would say a middle of the pack kid at PA compared to a top of class kid at Arlington High is a tough comparison. Maybe they would be middle of the pack at Arlington too? Who knows? At the end of the day, these are complex decisions which result in a limited number of accepted applicants. Your child needs to be truly exceptional and not just high achieving in order to get into a place like Harvard these days. Things like being a legacy are meaningless at most schools today and most of their parents probably would not gotten into these schools under today's requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts