Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 09:59 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Mass hates NY becuase of Eli Manning!
And the Steinbrenners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 08:09 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Boston hates New York because New York is the city Boston thought it was going to be.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Boston hates New York because New York is the city Boston thought it was going to be.
Not really. Its more of a rivalry with sports and the close proximity. Bostonians, more spefically the Brahmin, picture New York has a dirty wasteland. So yeah not really.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:54 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
Eh, I think many of the people who hate NY are jealous. But I actually don't think most people want Boston to be NYC. Boston is less crazy and not as big, yet offers plenty of stuff. If you really love and want NYC, you're not going to be happy anywhere else.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Eh, I think many of the people who hate NY are jealous. But I actually don't think most people want Boston to be NYC. Boston is less crazy and not as big, yet offers plenty of stuff. If you really love and want NYC, you're not going to be happy anywhere else.
Yeah, I agree somewhat. People in Boston definitely do not want the city to be on a NY level. Most think its way too cosmopolitan right now. Out of Jealousy? Not really. Most Boston folk look down on NYC. Its not a case of jealousy or not.. its a case of the historical rivalry between the two cities, and of course Sports don't help mend the relationship any better.

My grandpa who was very wealthy from the United Kingdom migrated here in the 40s, to the day he died said Boston is for the rich, and NY was for the poor. Not saying its true, but a lot of older, especially wealthier Bostonians, just looked down upon it.

To me? Im indifferent about NY and NYC. It has great features like good architecture, good food, and nice history.. but living in NYC is hell because everything you hate about Boston (Traffic, Transportation, etc) is magnified there. I think it has its problems to work out and the city is very very dirty... its kind of disgusting. Sure there are pros, but they're just as many negatives.. and factor the people in who are nothing short of arrogant, you get annoyed fast.

Most younger people dont see NYC how older Bostonians saw NYC... but there is a little bit of resentment. Not much, but the issues I said above are the main talking point on the negatives of NYC. The hatred coems in for sports.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:22 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
I'm sure this would be applicable to all the people who were around in the second half of the 18th century.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:57 AM

968 posts, read 727,107 times
I find the whole city hate thing to be kinda funny. The stereotype (and, apparently, backed up by survey results), suggests that Boston hates NY, and often NY hates Boston. I have not found this to be the case, either during my time growing up in the western exurbs of Boston or now in the NYC area. My friends from home do like NYC, although they hate (as do I) the sports teams with a passion. Likewise, my coworkers in Manhattan like Boston, and when I am going back I typically here things like "oh fun, I love Boston", or "it's great, had a blast at school there", or something to that effect. I am convinced that the vast majority of city rivalries are generated by sports alone.

And to the comments around Texas, I am also surprised by this. I lived in Dallas for 10 years after college, had a great time and met some wonderful people. I don't think I've ever been given a hard time about my time there, even when they didn't know I wasn't a native. A few times I'd get some good-natured ribbing about some of their more nefarious political exports, but nothing malicious. I think most people realize it's a big place, and just because 55% of the state voted for Ted Cruz, that means that 45% didn't (do the math, it's a really large number.)

Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
You certainly seem to have a lot of odd experiences.
Really? Seems like you're living on a different planet than the rest of us based on some of your posts. You've never seen someone chewing out a fast food or low-end chain sit-down (Chili's, Applebees, Friendly's, etc.) employee because of a slight mistake with an order? That's the entire basis for the "Karen/Let me speak to your manager" meme that's taken the internet by storm over the past few years. You've only ever seen luxury cars tailgate? MA was in the national news last week because a Target manager was put on blast by a customer angry that she didn't give him an $80 electric toothbrush for $0.01 - that's the very definition of "entitled." It's odd if you haven't seen or experienced any of that.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 AM

728 posts, read 975,680 times
Within the city of Boston, i'd say it's love and hate with NYC that drives this. Nothing to do with upstate. Most folks I grew up with have no clue that Albany is more "New Englandy" than anywhere else in Upstate/Westchester and fairly different from the North Country towards the Canada border. Upstate NY is not a thought for most Bostonians.

NYC though?

1) Better night life and cooler scene (music of all genres, amateur sports, art) (jealousy).

2) Constant comparisons from transplants (envy).

3) Stats that show college students (for POC the fact that AA grads leave in droves is a sticking point) leave to go to NYC after invading our city for their college years.

4) Closest center of "Urban" culture (Love and imitation).

5) Getting called out for the aforementioned love and imitation.
6) SPORTS, SPORTS, SPORTS.

7) Finally for us history buffs, absolutely the fact that NYC is the city that Boston should've been. White flight and Brookline (hate it had to be y'all) stymied the city of Boston's growth back in the day and that I feel will always be a huge part of the reason but yeah Boston is a world class B city and NYC is THE city. Sad (but in a good way).

8) Closest big city that's not our little brother. Prov, Worcester, Springfield, Manchester no competition. Didn't add CMB because Cambridge is similar in size to those other cities but being real, Cambridge isn't small time at all. You can go to other places and they will know about Cambridge and yes it's a little brother but it has it's own distinct feel and I contend that if Cambridge were larger it would be a better city for points 1, 2, 4.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:55 AM

728 posts, read 975,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Mass hates NY becuase of Eli Manning!
I'm always astonished that people don't know this but a number of older folks in Boston and the South Shore (can only speak to my experience) have a special thing for Big Blue. Broadcast used to show the Giants all the time and my older teachers during childhood were definitely Giants fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts