Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:33 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times

Advertisements

a Boston Whaler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 01:29 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The only people looking to rent a room are uber/lyft drivers......period.
This is a BS comment, a lot of grad students and young professionals, even ones I'd consider to be relatively well compensated for their age cohort in tech, etc, will have roommates around here. Somerville, Cambridge, Brookline, North End, Allston/Brighton, JP.. all very difficult to find a truly affordable 1bed or studio on a young professional budget. Me and many of my friends had no realistic choice but to roommates if we wanted to live in these neighborhoods into our thirties despite having white collar jobs.

Believe me, I was looking, but to have a 1bed or studio was going to be a major compromise in location or sqft.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:32 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
This is a BS comment, a lot of grad students and young professionals, even ones I'd consider to be relatively well compensated for their age cohort in tech, etc, will have roommates around here. Somerville, Cambridge, Brookline, North End, Allston/Brighton, JP.. all very difficult to find a truly affordable 1bed or studio on a young professional budget. Me and many of my friends had no realistic choice but to roommates if we wanted to live in these neighborhoods into our thirties despite having white collar jobs.

Believe me, I was looking, but to have a 1bed or studio was going to be a major compromise in location or sqft.
He's referencing a debate we had from earlier in the week - definitely NOT a sincere comment.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:37 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Yeah planning on commuting. He’s working in IT Security some place in Boston. No idea what his actual budget is since I Googled IT Security and the salary ranges were from something like 30K to 120K so not much help haha.
Just depends on what he'd doing.

Security Sales OTE should be anywhere between $140k-$250k. Sales Engineer should be $120k-$160k salary with team performance commission. If he's a security/network/systems admin, entry pay should be $80k and up. If he's support, that would pose an issue financially.

In any case, someone in IT Security should be able to sufficiently afford a house in the $350k range on a single income. However, living in NYC, we all know the pay check-to-pay check lifestyle, so I'm sure savings are non-existent. Maybe it's simply a down payment issue?

$350k budget makes this move a slight possibility, $250k not so much.

Old 01-28-2020, 05:43 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Just depends on what he'd doing.

Security Sales OTE should be anywhere between $140k-$250k. Sales Engineer should be $120k-$160k salary with team performance commission. If he's a security/network/systems admin, entry pay should be $80k and up. If he's support, that would pose an issue financially.

In any case, someone in IT Security should be able to sufficiently afford a house in the $350k range on a single income. However, living in NYC, we all know the pay check-to-pay check lifestyle, so I'm sure savings are non-existent. Maybe it's simply a down payment issue?

$350k budget makes this move a slight possibility, $250k not so much.
That pay seems a bit high?

Old 01-28-2020, 06:06 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
The only people looking to rent a room are uber/lyft drivers......period.
Quote:
This is a BS comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
He's referencing a debate we had from earlier in the week - definitely NOT a sincere comment.
Yes, definitely a BS comment. Sorry for the confusion, BosYuppie.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:54 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
That pay seems a bit high?
As someone who recently switched jobs in tech, I think the ranges he listed are accurate. All the tech jobs are mainly coming back into the city from the suburbs, and not only is there the Boston COL/commuting bumps with that, but they’re now all competing with Facebook, Amazon, Google and MS for a small pool of talent too. (Unsure if there is a big Netflix or Apple presence in town)

Six figures ain’t what it used to be.

Quote:
Yes, definitely a BS comment. Sorry for the confusion, BosYuppie.
My B!

Old 01-28-2020, 09:34 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
OPs friend needs to also consider the types looking to rent a one room in any of the mentioned/financially viable towns. Spoiler: they're not working in biotech.

They're absolutely working in biotech. Have you looked at rents lately?

Even on a 6 figure income, many young professionals are paying off significant student loan debt and trying to save for a down payment... that even extends into the suburbs. I think I was the first among my young professional crew (though I don't work in STEM and make less than 6 figures) to leave a roommate situation at 30, and that's only because I have no student loan debt. Even then, I had to move all the way to Marlborough to afford a 1 bedroom.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,729,269 times
Quote:

That is true for the city but OP asked for a SFH for 250k within an hour of Boston. A young professional is not going to rent a single room in Lawrence or New Bedford etc. More likely to get a drug dealer.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:19 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
That is true for the city but OP asked for a SFH for 250k within an hour of Boston. A young professional is not going to rent a single room in Lawrence or New Bedford etc. More likely to get a drug dealer.
By land area, more than half of New Bedford is dense suburban middle class housing. It’s not all tenement buildings, junkies, and hookers. It’s also not an hour from Boston at rush hour and Phase I SouthCoast Rail doesn’t fix that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts