Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times

Advertisements

I second the comments about Holbrook. We've had to go there a few times for some roller hockey events and the entire town gave me a bad feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 AM

8 posts, read 38,378 times
Hanover is a great town with good schools and there is some affordable housing but it is mostly a pretty white-collar town, and yes the kids are preppy, but not bad and they have good test scores

Old 10-06-2008, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 13,910 times
Default Weymouth

I lived in Weymouth for almost 12 years before moving to Maine. All three of my children went to Weymouth schools and got a wonderful education. My youngest is a captain in the U.S. Army after her education from Norwich University. The folks in Weymouth were always friendly and caring. If I were to move back to MA, I would first look for property in Weymouth. Do more research before you turn down such a great place to live.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
As a suburb, Weymouth's proximity to Boston can't be beat. I would look in North Weymouth if you want boating, town beaches, and yacht club. If you want to hug the highway(route 3) for better things to do, then move further South. The truth of the trip is told in the Winter months, when the trip home could take hours. All the best.

Old 10-10-2008, 02:29 PM

18 posts, read 140,843 times
Default Weymouth seems right for us, as does Hanover, Walpole and Norwood...

Hi,

Thanks for all of your thoughts on Weymouth! It seems to have what we're looking for, and I'm now comparing it with Hanover, Walpole and Norwood.
I'll finally be out to take a look at the towns later this year.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:12 AM

116 posts, read 316,618 times
If you can afford Hanover over Weymouth, choose Hanover. It's a much nicer town, more suburban, better schools. Weymouth is more blue collar/working class.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Brookline would be perfect for you. My kids' public school has kids from all over the world, with a significant portion coming from Japan for a few years for professional/academic reasons. Your budget is tight for a two bedroom apartment, and you might have your heart set on a house, but there are plenty of parks to play in, and half of the families in our school live in pretty small apartments!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 140,843 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for your thoughts on Hanover, and on Brookline! Personally, I'd love to live in Brookline, and wouldn't mind a small apartment. Suburban Hanover might also be good, and I'm considering Walpole....

Can't wait to be back in MA!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 20,202 times
::::delurking::::

Everything you read here about Weymouth is true, both the good and the bad. I've lived here for five years and attended church out here during the late 80's. Like any other town the experience you have here depends on what part of town you live in. I'm a black woman and though I braced myself for it I haven't had any racial incidents at all where I'm located. People have been nice and very friendly if you're friendly first. In other parts of town I hear others have not been so fortunate. I've also heard of people having terrible experiences with Weymouth police. Often the words "corrupt" and "abusive" have been used yet my experiences with WPD have always been pleasant and professional which is unlike many other places I've lived.

My bad opinions about Weymouth? Word on the street is that drugs are beginning to become a real problem here. I hear this from a person iwho works directly with that issue and I've seen some evidence of it late at night since I live on a main street. My mailbox has been robbed a few times, hence my reason for dealing with police. Also through conversation I've learned that a few houses here have been robbed making neigbors a bit nervous. People have been working to make their homes more secure so you might want to keep crime detering ideas in place when choosing a layout for your home. In fact I recommend you do that wherever you move to. It can happen anywhere.

What I hear consistently is that Weymouth is a great place to live if you want to raise a family, not so great for single people or single parents. There is nothing to do here and no way to meet people. There are 4 booming liquor stores and 8 bars in the area where I live so it seems the only thing to do here is get drunk and watch the game. The MBTA has opened a new commuter Rail stop here and is currenly at the planning table for expanding bus service to Weymouth so the dynamic looks to be changing a little in the coming years. Every place has it's pros and cons. Overall I think Weymouth is a great mix of things but maybe not for everybody. I agree with what another person said about Hanover though. Trader Joes is there! Lots of other great malls and job opportunities are there for families and young people.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 7,798 times
I lived inQuincy,Hingham.Weymouth,NashuaNH AND NOW Merrimack NH my wife got very ill in Hingham so we had to move to Weymouth,much the same but cheaper.The people in Weymouth could not do enough for us they made us feel like liflong townies,they even fogave us our Hingham chapter(where they somehow feel superior to Weymouth)As soon as things stabilize I want to return to Weymouth, even though higher prices there will cost us,somtimes you have to know the attitudes and people and even though I grew up yrs ago in Weymouth noone knew that and if there is any racism it certainly is no more than any any town or city so close to BOSTON.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts