Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2022, 04:25 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
So your all vaccinated and were sick 3 months ago, and now some are sick again?

What is stupid is now everyone who doesn't feel good for a day or two associates it with covid and acts like they would have died. People are sick all the time and most of the time for just a day or two and we are fine, but now we act like some miracle vaccine cured them.
That is true. I had cold-like symptoms since Friday. Today they were real bad. I took a Covid test; it came out negative. This is just what people do these days.

I will add that at some point I am likely to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 02:29 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Wastewater signal going insane in MA. Hold on tight.
https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

The main worry I have right now is that we won't have updated vaccines and treatments for the vast majority of us in the fall - I am losing hope that our government is funding anything.
Both Moderna and Pfizer have multiple vaccine candidates in the clinical trials stage of development for an expected fall release, so I think the technical risk is fairly low. Of course we'll still have to see if the government and/or insurance companies get behind them as far as making them free for recipients, but so far that hasn't been a problem.

There are also numerous efforts underway to try to develop a pan-coronavirus vaccine, though this ambitious work has more technical risk and may take some time, if it's successful.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d415...ARS%2DCoV%2D1.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 05-16-2022 at 02:41 AM..

Old 05-16-2022, 07:54 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
So your all vaccinated and were sick 3 months ago, and now some are sick again?
I had the flu 3 weeks before Covid. I wasn't sick 3 months ago. As far as I know i've never had Covid until now.

In both cases, it was our 4-year old catching it in school, and then us catching is while caring for him. Tons of his classmates were out. He was not vaccinated against flu or covid. He had a rough go with the flu, but Covid was less than 24 hours of fever and he was back to bouncing off the walls.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-16-2022 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-18-2022, 03:06 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
according to necn, we have monkeypox in Ma. a guy got it in Canada. Let that spread to a couple people and we could have a first class panic!

Old 05-19-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
according to necn, we have monkeypox in Ma. a guy got it in Canada. Let that spread to a couple people and we could have a first class panic!
So I am not one given to panic, but am always curious... some interesting comments from a Washington Post article:

"Monkeypox is not known to spread easily between humans. The fact that cases are emerging in several countries at once — with signs of 'sustained' transmission in people — is striking, said Aris Katzourakis, a professor of evolution and genomics at the University of Oxford... 'It’s either a lot of bad luck or something quite unusual happening here', Katzourakis said.... Mass vaccination against smallpox 'presumably' curbed monkeypox infections for a time among humans, researchers wrote in a 2005 article. But cases resurged, thanks in part to a lack of immunity in later generations, they say." Thanks again, antivax fools.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...monkeypox-faq/

Old 05-19-2022, 01:32 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So I am not one given to panic, but am always curious... some interesting comments from a Washington Post article:

"Monkeypox is not known to spread easily between humans. The fact that cases are emerging in several countries at once — with signs of 'sustained' transmission in people — is striking, said Aris Katzourakis, a professor of evolution and genomics at the University of Oxford... 'It’s either a lot of bad luck or something quite unusual happening here', Katzourakis said.... Mass vaccination against smallpox 'presumably' curbed monkeypox infections for a time among humans, researchers wrote in a 2005 article. But cases resurged, thanks in part to a lack of immunity in later generations, they say." Thanks again, antivax fools.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...monkeypox-faq/
^Ah, let the conspiracy theories begin!

Old 05-19-2022, 02:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Well, in the days of smallpox there wasn't the amount of travel that there is now. I've been hearing about monkeypox in the UK. Canada is part of the commonwealth so travel between the UK and Canada is probably high. That could be how it got into Canada. Then a MA person goes to Canada and brings it back to MA.

So I guess it's not that improbable that it's now here in MA. There are probably more cases out there that we'll be hearing about. Too bad our smallpox vaccinations wore off long ago, for those of us who got them!

Old 05-19-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^Ah, let the conspiracy theories begin!
Must be a bioweapons program that Joe Biden has going on with China and Venezuela! And, obviously he's trying to damage Trump with this. I mean, what else could it possibly be???

Old 05-19-2022, 05:19 PM

899 posts, read 539,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yeah, wasn't referring so much to the origin of the variants, vs. the fact that they are circulating so readily and rapidly. No doubt that if we were at measles-level vaccination rates, Covid if not eradicated, would at least be in the rearview mirror from a practical standpoint.
I had to jump in to say this is a bizarre assumption, to put it politely.

Notice how people getting infected *today* are just as likely to be vaccinated as unvaccinated. Everyone I know who's picked up COVID this year were doubly vaccinated and boostered.

How do you assume that COVID would have been vanquished when it just evolves to evade the vaccines through encountering the vaccinated? Which is typical of a virus. At the same time, typical of a virus, it evolves to be weaker and weaker. The Spanish Flu is still with us today! It's also why we get the flu shot every year rather than just once. Everyone getting the flu shot in one December doesn't mean there will be no flu the following winter. Even if every single American had been vaccinated, we'd still have COVID. And just like the flu shot, getting one doesn't mean you still won't get the flu, but it reduces the symptoms.

The ignorance was the assumption that COVID could have been vanquished like some sort of enemy. It's not the measles. It's a corona virus. That's why it's called COVID.

For all practical purposes COVID is already in the rearview mirror. Politically it certainly is, even the left states have moved on.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:13 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
For all practical purposes COVID is already in the rearview mirror. Politically it certainly is, even the left states have moved on.
I think Covid of May '22 is different than Covid of Mar '20. It may not be different from a viral standpoint, but in terms of perception, many folks don't care anymore.

When my MIL got it back in Mar '20 and was in the ICU, my wife donned a white bunny suit to go into her house to retrieve items.

When my 4-year old son got it 2 weeks ago, we took ZERO precautions. No masks, no sanitizing, nothing. We just shrugged our shoulders and assumed it was only a matter of time and just said "lets get it over with"

I'm not saying covid has officially transgressed to being "harmless" but i don't think i'm alone in saying that a lot of folk's perception of it has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts