Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 06:43 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
I had to jump in to say this is a bizarre assumption, to put it politely.

Notice how people getting infected *today* are just as likely to be vaccinated as unvaccinated. Everyone I know who's picked up COVID this year were doubly vaccinated and boostered.

How do you assume that COVID would have been vanquished when it just evolves to evade the vaccines through encountering the vaccinated? Which is typical of a virus. At the same time, typical of a virus, it evolves to be weaker and weaker. The Spanish Flu is still with us today! It's also why we get the flu shot every year rather than just once. Everyone getting the flu shot in one December doesn't mean there will be no flu the following winter. Even if every single American had been vaccinated, we'd still have COVID. And just like the flu shot, getting one doesn't mean you still won't get the flu, but it reduces the symptoms.

The ignorance was the assumption that COVID could have been vanquished like some sort of enemy. It's not the measles. It's a corona virus. That's why it's called COVID.

For all practical purposes COVID is already in the rearview mirror. Politically it certainly is, even the left states have moved on.
It's not bizarre, and it's not ignorance. It's practically what every epidemiologist was saying at the beginning of the vaccine rollout. A virus needs hosts to replicate. Unvaccinated people are much more favorable hosts than vaccinated ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 09:23 PM

16,312 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Maybe I’m too laid back about covid but I’ve felt over it for a while. I had a physical today and my dr went on a bit about vaccines and how I’m good for a while with my shots and I felt bored listening to it. He wasn’t saying anything I didn’t already know. I had actually put my physical off for a while because of covid. Let’s talk about when my next pap should be already lol

Old 05-19-2022, 10:17 PM

943 posts, read 409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think Covid of May '22 is different than Covid of Mar '20. It may not be different from a viral standpoint, but in terms of perception, many folks don't care anymore.

When my MIL got it back in Mar '20 and was in the ICU, my wife donned a white bunny suit to go into her house to retrieve items.

When my 4-year old son got it 2 weeks ago, we took ZERO precautions. No masks, no sanitizing, nothing. We just shrugged our shoulders and assumed it was only a matter of time and just said "lets get it over with"

I'm not saying covid has officially transgressed to being "harmless" but i don't think i'm alone in saying that a lot of folk's perception of it has changed.
I think this is the case for most out there, including unfortunately our government. The huge problem with this is not just long covid (and any subtle damage to the immune system that will take years to figure out), but also the likelihood of a variant that will leave us completely unprepared (Eric Topol has an article on our capitulation https://erictopol.substack.com/p/the...pitulation?s=w ). I would never have imagined that we would give up the fight and throw in the towel, abandoning the hope for new vaccines and treatments in our country. I guess the very rich will travel abroad to get help.

In the meantime, an article in the Providence Journal today that Hasbro Children's Hospital is experiencing major capacity constraints. 25% positivity in Providence. At least 50 deaths expected for RI in May. Here it goes (again) but nobody cares.

Old 05-20-2022, 06:18 AM

432 posts, read 414,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
At the same time, typical of a virus, it evolves to be weaker and weaker.
This gets said a lot but is not always true: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...-good-guys-end

Old 05-20-2022, 10:22 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
The university I work for has one of the many area graduations this weekend in the 95 degree heat. We've been told by local hospitals that they are at capacity due to covid and would have a difficult time if grandma gets heat stroke, especially given how many folks will likely get ill across the region with such an early extreme heat wave.

Since the event is masks optional, we are expecting a lot of folks who normally would wear masks to drop them since the space does not have A/C. And it's the first time most of my staff, myself included, have been at an indoor event since pre-pandemic. Most of us are still not eating in indoor restaurants. Unfortunately, our jobs are on the line if we don't go.

Cool, cool, cool.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:39 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The university I work for has one of the many area graduations this weekend in the 95 degree heat. We've been told by local hospitals that they are at capacity due to covid and would have a difficult time if grandma gets heat stroke, especially given how many folks will likely get ill across the region with such an early extreme heat wave.

Since the event is masks optional, we are expecting a lot of folks who normally would wear masks to drop them since the space does not have A/C. And it's the first time most of my staff, myself included, have been at an indoor event since pre-pandemic. Most of us are still not eating in indoor restaurants. Unfortunately, our jobs are on the line if we don't go.

Cool, cool, cool.
Clearly, this is the fault of the 1% of the Massachusetts population (per Google) that has not taken a Covid shot...

Old 05-20-2022, 11:06 AM

432 posts, read 414,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Cool, cool, cool.
The school I work at had theirs last weekend, outdoors but packed (and hot!)- very few masks.
Lots of people called out sick on Monday. So much so that a school wide notice went out to get checked.
Many staff members got sick who had been there for setup, handed out robes/pins etc. etc.
Not sure if people attending got sick as we don't hear about their tests.

I attended my wife's Commencement yesterday in Boston - outdoors at Leader Bank Pavillion - maybe 30-40% had masks on.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:16 AM

Seems like it would be best for grandma to sit out the graduation festivities this weekend. Does that not seem like the best option?

Unfortunately covid isn't over for many and never will be. If people are afraid of getting it and being in large groups they need to avoid those places.

I know of someone having a Quinceañera tomorrow and they already have people who can't make it because they have covid or aren't making it because they dont want to get covid.

Why did people think it was ok to have huge events again or that it would be ok for everyone? I don't think anyone thought it was ok for everyone and it's up to people to say no. I think people then get FOMO but that's the way it goes. We can't continue to cancel everything because some people are worried about covid. My daughter's dance recital is on sunday. I could say no sorry i'm worried i might get covid from everyone else attending and not go...but the show is still going to happen.

People who attend these events WITH symptoms are assh@les but get ready for it.

The school i work at is having theirs next week.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:46 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...pvP5hzaG13XTD0

Baker Likens COVID Symptoms To Flu, Resists Calls For Mask Guidelines

Old 05-20-2022, 11:56 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...pvP5hzaG13XTD0

Baker Likens COVID Symptoms To Flu, Resists Calls For Mask Guidelines
did anyone think masks would become mandatory again? Particularly as summer is getting started?

Please use your own best judgement and dont expect others to do it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts