Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 08:36 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
the trader joes in Arlington. all the workers on the floor stocking were wearing masks. a ton of customers were wearing masks. there were some workers at the register that were not wearing masks. how can you not say it was not 85 percent were you there?
For the same reason people regularly critique the "news" you post - the problem is the source. Sorry, I'm just not buying that 85% (or anywhere close to that) of customers and staff at any grocery store in MA are wearing masks in October of 2022. My recent experiences at businesses in and around Arlington are very different from your accounts which read to me like some angry, fictionalized version of reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 08:37 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I think the OP is just looking for opportunities to poke at people (more likely who he views as the kind of people) who are wearing masks. Let it go already! If some people feel safer wearing a mask for whatever reason, how does that affect you? You do you.
Very simple, for two reasons:
  1. It signals, on the part of maskers, that they "care" and others don't (I've heard that in our office); and
  2. It creates an opening to make masking mandatory
Enough with the blue-paper pouting already!

Old 10-24-2022, 09:19 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Very simple, for two reasons:
  1. It signals, on the part of maskers, that they "care" and others don't (I've heard that in our office); and
  2. It creates an opening to make masking mandatory
So, if someone is concerned about their own health, or the health of vulnerable family members, they're virtue signaling? I suppose you can see into the hearts and minds of people in your local grocery store. Quite a skill you have there.

TBH, I think most people really dislike wearing masks, regardless of their politics. Those who are still wearing them have very specific personal reasons for doing so, in my opinion. I really don't think it is some conspiracy to affect the feelings of others, nor to introduce policies. You sure do seem to be making big leap here.

Quote:
I'm the one who is pouting? Okay, whatever you say.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:34 AM

3,371 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
For the same reason people regularly critique the "news" you post - the problem is the source. Sorry, I'm just not buying that 85% (or anywhere close to that) of customers and staff at any grocery store in MA are wearing masks in October of 2022. My recent experiences at businesses in and around Arlington are very different from your accounts which read to me like some angry, fictionalized version of reality.
go to the trader joes soon and you will see the workers on the floor all wearing masks. maybe at that time more customers than normal were wearing masks? i am willing to bet that trader joes has more people wear masks than other grocery stores. no other stores in arlington do not have 85 percent mask wearing but that particular store did. like i said there is a bakery in arlington that still requires its workers to wear masks. i saw all 5 of them behind the counter wearing the face diaper. i called the store asking if they were hiring and if they still required masks because i had to know if they still required them. i think its not for saftey but a weeding out process to have compliant workers who do not question things. they only want thier tribe to work there.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 10-24-2022 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-24-2022, 12:22 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
go to the trader joes soon and you will see the workers on the floor all wearing masks. maybe at that time more customers than normal were wearing masks? i am willing to bet that trader joes has more people wear masks than other grocery stores. no other stores in arlington do not have 85 percent mask wearing but that particular store did. like i said there is a bakery in arlington that still requires its workers to wear masks. i saw all 5 of them behind the counter wearing the face diaper. i called the store asking if they were hiring and if they still required masks because i had to know if they still required them. i think its not for saftey but a weeding out process to have compliant workers who do not question things. they only want thier tribe to work there.
Now you got me curious. I avoid that TJ's because the parking is a cluster, but I'll make it a point to check it out and "unscientifically" check on the % wearing masks.

Old 10-24-2022, 12:24 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
So, if someone is concerned about their own health, or the health of vulnerable family members, they're virtue signaling? I suppose you can see into the hearts and minds of people in your local grocery store. Quite a skill you have there.

TBH, I think most people really dislike wearing masks, regardless of their politics. Those who are still wearing them have very specific personal reasons for doing so, in my opinion. I really don't think it is some conspiracy to affect the feelings of others, nor to introduce policies. You sure do seem to be making big leap here.
^100%.

I attended an event at the Boch Center last week. I was one of a handful, out of the 800 or so in the theater, wearing a mask. Did I give a s**t as to what others thought of me? Did I wish that the Boch Center would reintroduce a "mask mandate" for everyone? NO to both questions!

Old 10-24-2022, 03:55 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Folks working in my local grocery stores and Target seem much more likely to wear masks than the customers.

That pesky lack of paid sick time probably has a smidge to do with it.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:06 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^100%.

I attended an event at the Boch Center last week. I was one of a handful, out of the 800 or so in the theater, wearing a mask. Did I give a s**t as to what others thought of me? Did I wish that the Boch Center would reintroduce a "mask mandate" for everyone? NO to both questions!
Enough with it. It's a conspiracy because I say it is!

Old 10-24-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Folks working in my local grocery stores and Target seem much more likely to wear masks than the customers.

That pesky lack of paid sick time probably has a smidge to do with it.
I am seeing more workers wear them than customers. it is almost Halloween so it is mask time. they were wearing them in the hot summer. I even see once in a blue moon some joggers wearing the mask while jogging outside.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Now you got me curious. I avoid that TJ's because the parking is a cluster, but I'll make it a point to check it out and "unscientifically" check on the % wearing masks.
ya four or five workers on the floor stocking shelves had masks on I thought they brought back the mandate for trader joes but I saw the cashiers did not have masks on. that parking lot is a disaster I worry about backing up into a pedestrian because they always walk behind the cars. sometimes finding a parking spot there is a real challenge. I went to market basket today and would say only 2 percent were wearing masks. it might be that Arlington area. one women told me I should keep my political opinions to myself in Arlington because in the town there are people that can make it hard for you. I don't care what they think. I protested the masks and vaccines out in the open. now I don't do it too much because I am tired of the whole thing. arlington is further to the left I think then other towns. its very cliquey.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 10-24-2022 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts