Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2022, 07:23 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times

Advertisements

The MWRA data seems OK at the moment.

I tested positive today. No symptoms beyond some minor sniffles, but we had traveled extensively over the past two weeks and wanted to make sure we weren’t going to get Grandma sick at Thanksgiving. Well now we’re going to miss it. I confirmed the positive with two antigen tests. If it weren’t for the Thanksgiving gathering and some higher risk relatives, I wouldn’t have bothered testing as these “symptoms” barely register. This is exactly why the MWRA data is the best source of information - lots of people just aren’t testing anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 07:36 PM

23,587 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The MWRA data seems OK at the moment.

I tested positive today. No symptoms beyond some minor sniffles, but we had traveled extensively over the past two weeks and wanted to make sure we weren’t going to get Grandma sick at Thanksgiving. Well now we’re going to miss it. I confirmed the positive with two antigen tests. If it weren’t for the Thanksgiving gathering and some higher risk relatives, I wouldn’t have bothered testing as these “symptoms” barely register. This is exactly why the MWRA data is the best source of information - lots of people just aren’t testing anymore.

Just curious if you ever got the bivalent booster? I personally don't know of anybody who's had Covid in a while, but I also don't know off hand who's had any recent shots or not (or which ones) outside my immediate family.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Just curious if you ever got the bivalent booster? I personally don't know of anybody who's had Covid in a while, but I also don't know off hand who's had any recent shots or not (or which ones) outside my immediate family.
I did, I got the Moderna on 10/12. If it weren’t for the holiday I’d never even have known I have it. My “symptoms” are the standard sniffles I get every year when the temp drops into the 30s for the first time. The only reason for the test was an abundance of caution with a very high risk relative on Thanksgiving. So I guess we got lucky and dodged a bullet.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:41 PM

23,587 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
I did, I got the Moderna on 10/12. If it weren’t for the holiday I’d never even have known I have it. My “symptoms” are the standard sniffles I get every year when the temp drops into the 30s for the first time. The only reason for the test was an abundance of caution with a very high risk relative on Thanksgiving. So I guess we got lucky and dodged a bullet.

Lucky that it's only the sniffles, but at the same time not all that encouraging! Last winter (during the big Omicron spike) I was one of the few at my workplace who didn't get it, which I credited to the booster I got right before Thanksgiving. Got the regular sniffles and maybe a cold or two...probably tested at least a dozen times but always negative. Then in April I got Covid when supposedly cases were low, which I sized up as the booster finally wearing off (as they been saying "4 months"). So even the original shot against the early Omicron variants seemed to provide pretty solid protection, and was a little more hopeful this time around with the updated booster...hopefully yours won't become too much more than it currently is.

Last edited by massnative71; 11-21-2022 at 08:50 PM..

Old 11-21-2022, 08:50 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Anyone checking the MWRA wastewater trend?
Nope

Old 11-22-2022, 05:14 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,601 times
I got it in October, one month to the day of my bivalent booster. Like lrfox no symptoms and I only took a test as a precaution, my partner got it on a trip overseas and I was still at home with them. Nothing showed up on rapid tests but the PCR was positive. Rapids were positive about 3 days later.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Lucky that it's only the sniffles, but at the same time not all that encouraging! Last winter (during the big Omicron spike) I was one of the few at my workplace who didn't get it, which I credited to the booster I got right before Thanksgiving. Got the regular sniffles and maybe a cold or two...probably tested at least a dozen times but always negative. Then in April I got Covid when supposedly cases were low, which I sized up as the booster finally wearing off (as they been saying "4 months"). So even the original shot against the early Omicron variants seemed to provide pretty solid protection, and was a little more hopeful this time around with the updated booster...hopefully yours won't become too much more than it currently is.
Thanks, I got my first booster around last Thanksgiving too and was also one of the few who didn't seem to get it during the big Omicron spike. My fiancee even got it and we live together and didn't isolate. This is my first time testing positive since the start of COVID and I had begun to think I was in the clear. Apparently not, and it looks like early studies indicate the newest boosters aren't all that effective against the latest variant. So far it's a non-issue from a physical standpoint, but the timing is super frustrating since it's messing with our Thanksgiving plans. Oh well... Chinese delivery for Thanksgiving dinner doesn't sound too bad.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:41 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Wife and I never got the latest booster and decided not to. No boosters for the kids and my 5 year old never got vaccinated.

Had it run through our house again. (3rd time) Symptoms were non-existent really. Runny nose for 1 day was the only symptom. Wouldn't of tested but my kid actually give himself the test without being prompted. Tested my 5 year old who had a slightly stuffy nose and he had it with no other symptoms. That was it. No fevers or anything else. Kept them home from school, but other than that inconvenience it cleared out with minimal hassle.

Coincidentally and rather unfortunately, My neighbors across the street (80's with health problems) have been in the ICU for over a week with Covid. (they didn't catch it from us as we haven't been in proximity to either in a couple months now). I watched them both go out in an ambulance one night. They got the booster the week before. Not looking good for one of them.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Wife and I never got the latest booster and decided not to. No boosters for the kids and my 5 year old never got vaccinated.

Had it run through our house again. (3rd time) Symptoms were non-existent really. Runny nose for 1 day was the only symptom. Wouldn't of tested but my kid actually give himself the test without being prompted. Tested my 5 year old who had a slightly stuffy nose and he had it with no other symptoms. That was it. No fevers or anything else. Kept them home from school, but other than that inconvenience it cleared out with minimal hassle.

Coincidentally and rather unfortunately, My neighbors across the street (80's with health problems) have been in the ICU for over a week with Covid. (they didn't catch it from us as we haven't been in proximity to either in a couple months now). I watched them both go out in an ambulance one night. They got the booster the week before. Not looking good for one of them.
I'm sorry about your neighbors. The disparity in severity between the average person and a high risk individual is still pretty jarring. Most of us are lucky enough that it's a non-issue, but it does seem like older and immunocompromised individuals are still having severe cases and dying at a fairly high rate.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:58 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
The disparity in severity between the average person and a high risk individual is still pretty jarring.
It really is rather shocking the difference. Had my stepson never given himself a test, we would have never known and chalked it up to typical winter sniffles and would have been over it in a day or so. Meanwhile my neighbors have been fighting for their life for the last 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts