Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 07:44 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I think for me at least, the reason is that there's no value in getting tested at this point.

There's value. My sister owns the plasma transfusion blood gathering project in Canada. If you test positive, you're a potential donor. It's the treatment of last resort since so much can go wrong with transfusions but you can lend a really sick person your immune system. Your antibodies fight their disease. It's kind of like wearing a mask. It doesn't help you but if everyone wears them, it dramatically lowers the transmission rate. I imagine a lot of people who test positive in the US are donating blood for that kind of treatment. I know a couple of anecdotal success stories in New England but I don't have any clinical trial information. Certainly, if you get really sick now, your odds are much better than they were mid-March.

I imagine the antibody test is also really useful in figuring out the "you are here" with the epidemic. If you can get a statistically representative sample, you know where you stand. Of course, like everything else in the United States related to COVID-19, collecting that kind of information isn't being done properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There's value. My sister owns the plasma transfusion blood gathering project in Canada. If you test positive, you're a potential donor. It's the treatment of last resort since so much can go wrong with transfusions but you can lend a really sick person your immune system. Your antibodies fight their disease. It's kind of like wearing a mask. It doesn't help you but if everyone wears them, it dramatically lowers the transmission rate. I imagine a lot of people who test positive in the US are donating blood for that kind of treatment. I know a couple of anecdotal success stories in New England but I don't have any clinical trial information. Certainly, if you get really sick now, your odds are much better than they were mid-March.

I imagine the antibody test is also really useful in figuring out the "you are here" with the epidemic. If you can get a statistically representative sample, you know where you stand. Of course, like everything else in the United States related to COVID-19, collecting that kind of information isn't being done properly.
Why is that certain? There's no treatment, cure, or vaccine today either. If I'm in bad enough shape to need it, the only thing an open ICU bed and ventilator does is make me breathe a little more comfortably while my body either fights off or succumbs to the virus. That bed isn't doing jack to change the odds, it just treats symptoms.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not high risk, so why would I have groceries delivered when there are people that really need that service. It would be selfish of me.
Grocery delivery is available for all at this point. Usually in less than 2 hours.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:46 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Grocery delivery is available for all at this point. Usually in less than 2 hours.
Plus it gives someone a means to earn income

Old 06-24-2020, 08:46 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
Quote:
Why is that certain? There's no treatment, cure, or vaccine today either. If I'm in bad enough shape to need it, the only thing an open ICU bed and ventilator does is make me breathe a little more comfortably while my body either fights off or succumbs to the virus. That bed isn't doing jack to change the odds, it just treats symptoms.
Fewer hospitalizations, more ICU beds available, better-rested doctors and nurses, initial panic has waned, three extra months of experience of how best to treat COVID patients.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 AM

875 posts, read 664,684 times
Quote:
That is simply not true. There is no cure or vaccine BUT there is a far, far greater understanding now as to how to treat varying presentations of the virus. There are many treatments that ensure a far better outcome ....reducing cytokine storm, anti-inflammatory like dexamethasone, convalescent plasma therapy, to name just a few. Screening and triage at intake are also far different and more mature. You are in a far better place today if you get COVID.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:02 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
For those that think you had COVID why not get tested for antibodies?

The newer assays from reputable companies and test centers are highly sensitive and specific, with extremely low false negative rates. Roche's test at LabCorp is probably one example and I'm sure Quest has similar on offer. Just don't buy on ebay/amazon etc

Seems like everyone who had a sniffle in January 'had it'.
If it was January, it was probably influenza B. https://www.medicaleconomics.com/vie...020-flu-season

Old 06-24-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Fewer hospitalizations, more ICU beds available, better-rested doctors and nurses, initial panic has waned, three extra months of experience of how best to treat COVID patients.
And not one of those things has one iota of effect on whether someone wins or loses their fight with the virus. If a doctor or nurse has nothing at their disposal that has any proven effectiveness in fighting COVID, why does it matter if they're rested or not, or have three additional months of practice in making patients comfortable before they die, or that there's an open bed to make them comfortable before they die? They're not affecting your odds of survival, they're cheerleaders on the sideline making you feel better about dying.

If I'm going to die of the virus, the last thing I need is a comfy bed and attentive doctors. What I really need is to get my affairs in order for a smooth transition after my death.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:14 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:

The current information is that treatment by ventilator is not the most effective for severe SOB, but "proning", lying on stomach on oxygen. That is news and would still be done in an ICU bed, most likely. The use of dexamethasone (cheap and available) for lung issues is news and easily done.

That COVID is a vicious disease of the vascular system (strokes, etc) in addition to lung effects is news and indicates anti-clotting treatment.

I am not holding my breath for a vaccine, but am encouraged by how much is learned every day, both good and bad news. i am voting for myself to get COVID later, not sooner.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
That is simply not true. There is no cure or vaccine BUT there is a far, far greater understanding now as to how to treat varying presentations of the virus. There are many treatments that ensure a far better outcome ....reducing cytokine storm, anti-inflammatory like dexamethasone, convalescent plasma therapy, to name just a few. Screening and triage at intake are also far different and more mature. You are in a far better place today if you get COVID.
People keep using words like "certain" and "ensure" as if any of these are proven. Why insist on putting the cart ahead of the horse and act like anecdotal studies means guaranteed improvement? There was a period of time when people were sure about hydroxychloroquine, too. If these treatments were proven and ensured better outcomes, why are people still dying daily from this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts