Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2020, 10:53 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't understand the praise for MA here. Mass is 4th in deaths per capita, 3rd in total deaths. Even in the last week, MA is 7th in deaths nationwide. Mass is the 15th largest state. I do not think anything mass has done has been effective.

I see a virus dying out seasonally, as they are wont to do.
We won't know that until it's all over. We had one of the first surges, the states experiencing it now (FL, AZ, TX...) are currently making history (as is MA for that matter). When the plague subsides we will finally be able to look back and assess which states did a better job, but even then it still won't be cut and dry given how many variables there are. You also have to take into consideration that states where got hit later, also had the advantage of time on their side to prepare that somewhere like NYC did not (even though they obviously dropped the ball as well). But a state like North Dakota, has fewer excuses. They can't say they didn't see it coming, and BETTER not see rates comparable to MA or NY especially considering their population densities and lack of public transit usage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 11:35 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post

One thing this pandemic has made me realize is that my hearing is not great and I have been unknowingly relying on lip reading to supplement my hearing for some time. what? WHAT? I’m sorry, WHAT??
Heh. I realized it was way past time to get hearing aids when my dentist was wearing two surgical masks and a face shield, the radio was on, and she was on my more-deaf side (many years now). I got the hearing aids and I've talked to other people who have had the same experience and action.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:04 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I don't understand the praise for MA here. Mass is 4th in deaths per capita, 3rd in total deaths. Even in the last week, MA is 7th in deaths nationwide. Mass is the 15th largest state. I do not think anything mass has done has been effective.

Then why is it surging in Houston? It’s 80F+ every day there.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:22 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It appears that they are suggesting temp checks be performed at home, vs having someone at school perform them.
Yeah, I meant there won't be regular temp checking at school--I thought that may be a requirement. I'm happy to temp check at home.

Even if your kid isn't spiking a fever, I think the days of giving your kid who has a mild head cold some ibuprofen and hoping he/she lasts through the school day because you have an important meeting are over. In the past, I've had many 6am discussions with my husband about whether our kids were too sick for school, which one of us would need to stay home, who has more going on that day, etc. But now I don't even think there will be a question--I think even the slightest symptom will mean that one of us is home and that shouldn't be as big of a deal anymore since we've been WFH for months on end.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:38 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
I think it's hard to make this sort of judgement on MA right now. MA was one of the first hit states in the US, and experienced their surge at a time when testing simply wasn't as available as it is right now. The mortality rate of the states in the northeast that were hit the hardest in the beginning is quite high compared to other states. NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA, MI were all early hotspots and sit with 7-9% mortality rates against recorded cases

States that are surging now (TX, FL, CA) are in the 3% range with much better testing capability in place.

As had been mentioned a few times, you really need to wait until the dust settles in order to analyze the data and make certain assumptions.

One assumption that can be made is that the virus was in the northeast in FAR greater numbers than has been detected so far. There has been evidence of the virus circulating in the region in Feb from Europe, which predates the widespread availability of testing. People could have caught the virus, and recovered and been none the wiser. If we were to adjust MA's numbers to reflect a 1% mortality rate, that would mean 3/4 of a million people in the state have had the virus. Even more if the mortality rate is in the 0.5% range as has been argued.

Of course, one could also say that we need to see the outbreaks in states like CA, TX and FL play out first. Those are three of the most populous states in the country, and cases there can easily explode and overshadow what we've seen here in MA. There was a time when MA had the 3rd most number of cases in the country. Now we are #6 and dropping. MA has maybe 100-200 new cases daily while many states are catching up with 1k new cases per day or more.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:41 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Then why is it surging in Houston? It’s 80F+ every day there.
Catching it indoors?

Old 06-25-2020, 12:51 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Catching it indoors?
That's what's being claimed.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorsp...y-15360430.php

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...rtan-ntp-feeds

Old 06-25-2020, 01:00 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:

You know more than the nation's, and the world's, top disease experts? I wish this were true, but it's wishful thinking at best.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fauci-c...tee-testimony/

Old 06-25-2020, 01:05 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You know more than the nation's, and the world's, top disease experts? I wish this were true, but it's wishful thinking at best.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fauci-c...tee-testimony/
ok dude. you have never once actually engaged with anything I've posted. I do not know why you are so desperate to view everything so negatively. We have good news all around us and people here continue to prefer wallowing at home.

just curious, do you follow europe at all?

Old 06-25-2020, 01:06 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think it's hard to make this sort of judgement on MA right now. MA was one of the first hit states in the US, and experienced their surge at a time when testing simply wasn't as available as it is right now. The mortality rate of the states in the northeast that were hit the hardest in the beginning is quite high compared to other states. NY, CT, MA, NJ, PA, MI were all early hotspots and sit with 7-9% mortality rates against recorded cases

States that are surging now (TX, FL, CA) are in the 3% range with much better testing capability in place.

As had been mentioned a few times, you really need to wait until the dust settles in order to analyze the data and make certain assumptions.

One assumption that can be made is that the virus was in the northeast in FAR greater numbers than has been detected so far. There has been evidence of the virus circulating in the region in Feb from Europe, which predates the widespread availability of testing. People could have caught the virus, and recovered and been none the wiser. If we were to adjust MA's numbers to reflect a 1% mortality rate, that would mean 3/4 of a million people in the state have had the virus. Even more if the mortality rate is in the 0.5% range as has been argued.

Of course, one could also say that we need to see the outbreaks in states like CA, TX and FL play out first. Those are three of the most populous states in the country, and cases there can easily explode and overshadow what we've seen here in MA. There was a time when MA had the 3rd most number of cases in the country. Now we are #6 and dropping. MA has maybe 100-200 new cases daily while many states are catching up with 1k new cases per day or more.
Lots of self congratulation for Mass despite 4th most deaths nationwide. I just don't know where this is coming from. If it's too early to judge MA, it's too early to judge Florida.

There are tons of devils in the details when it comes to "cases", as I have explained a few times already. I don't understand why this is the new metric and not deaths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts