Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2021, 03:28 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

I don't know. Phase I is supposed to run from the end of December through February. I get that everyone in Phase I wants the vaccine, but I don't think it's realistic or helpful if everyone runs to the news media to rail against the people distributing the vaccine if they haven't been taken care of in the first 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2021, 04:52 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Here's a question. If they don't show up for the second then what? Does that second shot stay in reserve or go to someone else?

Old 01-04-2021, 06:28 AM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I don't know. Phase I is supposed to run from the end of December through February. I get that everyone in Phase I wants the vaccine, but I don't think it's realistic or helpful if everyone runs to the news media to rail against the people distributing the vaccine if they haven't been taken care of in the first 2 weeks.
Nationally, 4.2 million people have been vaccinated. 20 million was expected at this point.

And on a side note, 50% of the front line workers in California refused the vaccine.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:29 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
MA is sitting on 200k doses and doing nothing with them.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:31 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
And on a side note, 50% of the front line workers in California refused the vaccine.
Comparable numbers at many MA facilities. A lot of people are skeptical of the vaccine for a multitude of reasons.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:40 AM

This is what I keep in the back of my mind. How much of Boston's economy is based on immigration? How can we even begin to expect students to come back from the world to attend higher ed here if much of the developing world is 2022 if not 2023? Africa alone and then lump in south east asia, the middle east and latin america

Old 01-04-2021, 08:23 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Mass. Firefighters Union frustrated with COVID-19 vaccine process

"The Massachusetts’ Firefighters Union is slamming the state’s vaccination efforts, as more than 800 of them are battling COVID-19.

Attleboro Firefighters Local 848 President Paul Jacques said the members are wondering why they haven’t been vaccinated when firefighters respond 365 days a year to all different types of medical emergencies and more."

"Jacques said even though firefighters are in Phase 1, some are frustrated they haven’t received the vaccine yet, especially when they see it being offered to firefighters in neighboring states like Rhode Island and Maine.

“Our members are frustrated not being able to get the vaccine,” he said, “especially when we are seeing other states around New England getting the vaccine.”

The union said Wednesday, 802 firefighters in the state currently have COVID-19, with 650 more in quarantine from exposure."
They're still rolling out the phase 1 to critical clinical care. Not suggesting there isn't some incompetency/inefficiency with the roll out, but I'm very doubtful the state is intentionally holding out on first responders.

The union might also wish to ask those who they represent whether they are taking adequate precautions. My local FD is wearing masks when on a call, but around the station not so much. A national survey showed FD departments maintained the worst Covid compliance of any public workers, with PDs doing slightly better. Correction officers maintained the best compliance, which is likely reflective of their environment.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Nationally, 4.2 million people have been vaccinated. 20 million was expected at this point.

I am aware of that. But here in Massachusetts, the firefighters who are ranting - it's not even late to them. In fact, they aren't scheduled to *begin* getting it until the middle of this month. What good does it do for them to place negative public pressure on people who are actually trying to help them, and doing their best? And in fairness, shouldn't they wait until it's actually late, before publicly attacking them? I gotta tell you, I wouldn't want the job of distributing this vaccine!

Old 01-04-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
MA is sitting on 200k doses and doing nothing with them.
That's false, and you know it. It's one thing to criticize, but you should keep the criticism factual.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

This is what I keep in the back of my mind. How much of Boston's economy is based on immigration? How can we even begin to expect students to come back from the world to attend higher ed here if much of the developing world is 2022 if not 2023? Africa alone and then lump in south east asia, the middle east and latin america
The other thing I'm noticing on this map is how many countries have a difference in access for time. How many people from central america (El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua) are going to be pressed to go further north to Mexico for vaccine access? Look at Ukraine with Poland and Romania having access potentially a year before they do. Turkey and Syria, India and Pakistan and African refugees going to Europe.

Way back when AZT was made there were some back channels sending it to other areas (Dallas Buyers Club). Obviously you only need the shot twice but still if you are a medic and you are from some of these other countries and some here refuse to take it I wouldn't be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts