Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 06:37 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times

Advertisements

If there's a viable, credible vaccine available by the end of 2020, I won't care who wins on Nov 3, and I'm glad to let orange man take whatever credit he wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 06:50 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The course of treatment won't change but you could be spreading it if it's COVID. It sounds like you don't care.
If I'm staying home to treat my cold, how am I spreading it? Are you saying it's ok if I run around spreading a cold if I knew it wasn't Covid?

There's already enough overly anxious nervous wrecks wandering around that I can't go out even with a common cold. Coughing in public invokes almost as much fear now as hearing gunshots.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:24 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Trump ought to play guinea pig and get the vaccine first or have it administered to Melania and Barron if he trusts an early vaccine that much. After all if we take his word, Putin did administer his vaccine to his daughter.
At least in this country all the vaccine candidates are going through phase III. In China the government skipped phase III entirely on all their vaccine variants. I'll take my chances that politics mildly impact the process over being a guaranteed government research subject as playing out in China.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:43 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Some interesting results from Russia on their Sputnik V Vaccine trials...

Old 09-04-2020, 10:44 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
If I'm staying home to treat my cold, how am I spreading it? Are you saying it's ok if I run around spreading a cold if I knew it wasn't Covid?

There's already enough overly anxious nervous wrecks wandering around that I can't go out even with a common cold. Coughing in public invokes almost as much fear now as hearing gunshots.
There is a helicopter over my house right now because I have hayfever and have been sneezing. This is real.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:48 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Some interesting results from Russia on their Sputnik V Vaccine trials...
Referring to the Lancet article?

Quote:
We did two open, non-randomised phase 1/2 studies at two hospitals in Russia. We enrolled healthy adult volunteers (men and women) aged 18–60 years to both studies. Between June 18 and Aug 3, 2020, we enrolled 76 participants to the two studies (38 in each study). In each study, nine volunteers received rAd26-S in phase 1, nine received rAd5-S in phase 1, and 20 received rAd26-S and rAd5-S in phase 2.
Sounds like some pretty thin data to me with a sample size of 38 healthy Russians ages 18-60. They've basically "approved" a poorly tested product just to say they were the 1st.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:50 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post

Sounds like some pretty thin data to me with a sample size of 38 healthy Russians ages 18-60. They've basically "approved" a poorly tested product just to say they were the 1st.
My thoughts exactly. Supposedly they are starting a new round of testing with 40k participants.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:04 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Referring to the Lancet article?

Not only is the trial small, it's the equivalent of a Phase II vaccine trial, which they usually call "early efficacy". Specifically what that means is, did you get a good immune system response to the stimulus? Of course that's a test you must do, but you're not done then.

The Phase III trial is where you check to see if the vaccine actually protects people - does it greatly reduce the number of people who become infected? And for those who get infected anyway, does it significantly reduce the severity of the disease? Because of the larger trial size, you also get a better handle on adverse effects. This is "where the rubber meets the road".

The Russians approved without even doing a Phase III trial.

Old 09-04-2020, 01:40 PM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
The way I see it, the course of treatment given to me will not change whether it's a simple cold or Covid, so it makes no difference knowing which it is.
Quote:
The course of treatment won't change but you could be spreading it if it's COVID. It sounds like you don't care.
Quote:

If I recall correctly, you have a wife and kids. If they get a cold from you, it's not a big deal.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:10 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
If I recall correctly, you have a wife and kids. If they get a cold from you, it's not a big deal.
And if it's Covid, they've had been exposed to it well before I even had symptoms since we all share a roof.

I guess I'm still failing to see why if it's Covid or something else changes the flowchart on what to do next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts