Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2023, 08:10 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Well, I guess at least those who were downplaying it then are being consistent by downplaying it now.

I happen to know 2 "perfectly healthy" people, aged 28 and 51 respectively, who were not vaccinated and died from it. And before you say that's anecdotal, look up the stats...and use them correctly. What you want is IFR, infection fatality rate...meaning what % of those who get infected died before vaccines, not what % of the population at large died from it.
I used the correct IFR. Here is the CDC link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

If it doesn't support your narrative, there's nothing I can do about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 08:12 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Because bad people spread lies, and well-meaning people bought the lies.
Quite true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Because it was new and there was no pre-existing community immunity to it.
Isn't that true of quite a few viruses?

Old 05-23-2023, 08:28 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
I used the correct IFR. Here is the CDC link: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

If it doesn't support your narrative, there's nothing I can do about that.
You're only quoting part of the story...ignoring excess mortality data and the number of long Covid sufferers.

And what narrative exactly? That public health officials erred on the side of caution with a brand new, highly contagious virus? Better than insisting there's a cadre of gov't officials who studied epidemiology all their lives, and were just waiting to get their jollies by getting people to cover their faces for a few months.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You're only quoting part of the story...ignoring excess mortality data and the number of long Covid sufferers.
The IFR is about 0.6%, according to the CDC. Like I said, if that bothers you, I don't care.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not really.

The last similar event was in 1918.

Even during the 2009 flu pandemic there were some people who were immune - almost one third of folks over age 60.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...0their%20lives.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Quite true.

Of course it's true that "quite a few viruses have no pre-existing community immunity," hell, it's true of every iteration of the flu that comes around every year, and if it weren't, then the push to mass vaccinate for the flu every year would be absurd.

Why do the psychopaths and liars and useful idiots, when they goad you to get your flu shot every year, not say "it's a novel virus, you have no immunity to it?" Because most of the time they are not executing a program designed to send the populace into panic. But with Sars-Cov-2, that is what they were doing. Which is why all hell broke loose.

Why were they doing this? I don't know. But I am glad this iteration of it is over. Well, mostly over -- at least two C-D accounts are dutifully repeating the lies as if it's still May 2020, not May 2023.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:59 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Exactly. It's too bad that hysteria built to such a crescendo that even serious people were taking foolish actions and inaction "out of an abundance of caution." We blew up childrens' education for absolutely no reason. We denied people proper weddings, funerals and childbirths in order to put the population into solitary confinement.
Yep. Treated each other like lepers and dragged out the useless "mask mandate" for 2 years. Some were so terrified they are STILL doing it.

Then there are some so terrified they want it back for everyone.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Of course it's true that "quite a few viruses have no pre-existing community immunity," hell, it's true of every iteration of the flu that comes around every year, and if it weren't, then the push to mass vaccinate for the flu every year would be absurd.

Why do the psychopaths and liars and useful idiots, when they goad you to get your flu shot every year, not say "it's a novel virus, you have no immunity to it?" Because most of the time they are not executing a program designed to send the populace into panic. But with Sars-Cov-2, that is what they were doing. Which is why all hell broke loose.

Why were they doing this? I don't know. But I am glad this iteration of it is over. Well, mostly over -- at least two C-D accounts are dutifully repeating the lies as if it's still May 2020, not May 2023.
No, it is not true of seasonal flu. Many people have antibodies to the circulating viruses or closely related ones.

All hell broke loose because SARS-CoV-2 was killing large numbers of people.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, it is not true of seasonal flu. Many people have antibodies to the circulating viruses or closely related ones.

All hell broke loose because SARS-CoV-2 was killing large numbers of people.
Then why do we need -- sorry, why are we told we need -- mass flu vaccination every year, suzy?

You are claiming there is "pre-existing community immunity" to each year's palette of flu viruses.

Why the push to mass vaccinate, then?

Old 05-23-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Then why do we need mass flu vaccination every year, suzy?

You are claiming there is "pre-existing community immunity."

Why the push to mass vaccinate, then?
Because the circulating flu viruses change from season to season. The pre-existing immunity is not universal, but it is not zero the way it was with covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts