Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 4,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Those trees that look like they are located on the slope, their roots help to stabilize it. Don't subtract trees there, if you want do something, add trees (or large shrubs).
indeed, crossed my mind... in fact those trees hide quite nice view
From Google map, this is what the neighbors see...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wT7...ew?usp=sharing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 06:41 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
I don't see any problem there. Better to be the house at the top of the slope than the bottom.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:11 PM

as a side note, property insurance may not cover

My insurance has this exclusion:

Earth Movement, meaning earthquake including land shock waves or tremors before, during or after a volcanic eruption; landslide; mine subsidence; mudflow; earth sinking, rising or shifting;
unless direct loss by:
(1) Fire;
(2) Explosion; or
(3) Breakage of glass (...)
This exclusion does not apply to loss by theft

Old 06-30-2020, 01:22 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avav View Post
as a side note, property insurance may not cover

My insurance has this exclusion:

Earth Movement, meaning earthquake including land shock waves or tremors before, during or after a volcanic eruption; landslide; mine subsidence; mudflow; earth sinking, rising or shifting;
unless direct loss by:
(1) Fire;
(2) Explosion; or
(3) Breakage of glass (...)
This exclusion does not apply to loss by theft
Life is uncertain. You need to make your own risk assessment.

Old 06-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Life is uncertain. You need to make your own risk assessment.
I pay insurance so I won't have to

The difference between a clever and a wise man is that a wise man can get out of troubles that a clever man will avoid

Old 06-30-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I pay insurance so I won't have to

The difference between a clever and a wise man is that a wise man can get out of troubles that a clever man will avoid
Most of the clever or wise men/women I’ve worked with don’t solicit the advise of unqualified strangers. They look at the data and render a decision

The study I linked pretty clearly outlines the potential risks. Whether or not your insurance policy covers it becomes a risk tolerance issue you alone have to render a decision on. Or increase your coverage, but that is typically not a cheap exercise.

In this market, I assume the house is already pending ...

Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Most of the clever or wise men/women I’ve worked with don’t solicit the advise of unqualified strangers. They look at the data and render a decision

The study I linked pretty clearly outlines the potential risks. Whether or not your insurance policy covers it becomes a risk tolerance issue you alone have to render a decision on. Or increase your coverage, but that is typically not a cheap exercise.

In this market, I assume the house is already pending ...
Still active. In that location, all neighbors have quite nice view and reasonable back yards. On the other hand the house is in a very good condition and the neighborhood is good. The risk is minimal yet my insurance company will not cover landslides. They will cover Earthquake for a fee though. After heavily considering all pros and cons I made a decision (tossed a coin) (just kidding)

Old 07-01-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Still active. In that location, all neighbors have quite nice view and reasonable back yards. On the other hand the house is in a very good condition and the neighborhood is good. The risk is minimal yet my insurance company will not cover landslides. They will cover Earthquake for a fee though. After heavily considering all pros and cons I made a decision (tossed a coin) (just kidding)
Fair enough - sorry I was bit combative.

Ultimately it's helpful to know the local geology when addressing these concerns. My own house is rather concerning due to the severe slope ... it's basically plopped a top a 150ft elevation gain. However, nearly every new build in the neighborhood ends up blasting for the foundation and, sure enough, my house also sits on top of or within solid bedrock ... and I have the drainage problems to prove it. Fortunately the home has a perimeter drain and who ever did the land prep designed in proper grade away from the foundation.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,768 times
Depends on the kind of slope. Rocky ones are fine and not moving anywhere.

Is the house settling/tilting more in a particular direction, e.g., towards the slope. You can check this with a laser leveling tool (~$50 in Home Depot). Go to the basement and place it at various locations (all four sides) and you will have an idea. Usually 1-2 inches every 20 ft or so is not a big deal. You can also use a ball or a bucket of water but the laser would be ideal. Also check for any evidence of repairs in foundation (cracks and such).

Some slope is actually beneficial and provides good natural drainage. You might not even need a sump pump.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:45 PM

880 posts, read 819,497 times
In terms of feng shui, it's really bad (wealth flowing away from the house)... would really need something to offset this
- low price
- prime A location
- extra large home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts