Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 03:01 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times

Advertisements

Hmm...maybe enough with the Legal Seafood bashing?

Yes, it's a chain but it's condensing: Charles Hotel spot in Cambridge has just closed.

Not a seafood lover or expert, but wouldn't most or all Legal bashers cause a near riot in a parking lot if someone announces they're giving out free $100 Legal giftcards?

What on their menu is so disappointing or awful? Just curious.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Yes, it's a chain but it's condensing: Charles Hotel spot in Cambridge has just closed.

Not a seafood lover or expert, but wouldn't most or all Legal bashers cause a near riot in a parking lot if someone announces they're giving out free $100 Legal giftcards?

Thanks for any info.
Taco Bell could be handing out free $100 gift cards and there'd be a riot. Many (dumb) people lose all sense of how valuable time is when it comes to getting free stuff and will happily stand in line hours for a free ice cream cone or entree no matter where it's from.

I'm pretty neutral to Legal. Don't seek it out but don't cringe if someone suggests going there. I know it's going to be assembly-line kitchen fare prepared via reading a recipe card by whoever this week's kitchen staff is, a la Cheesecake Factory, so it'll be consistent but unoriginal.

I don't know where it got its "essential things to try in Boston" vibe with the out-of-towners, and I don't know why people feel the need to put it on some pedestal.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:52 PM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
I'm the city of Boston, the Sail Loft is amazing. Highly recommend.

Outside the city of Boston? In-between Boston and Maine there are too many to name.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:24 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:

Thanks for any info.
??

I only saw one person bash Legal, and nobody jumped on that bandwagon.

I don't mind Legal one bit. You could do a LOT worse. Plenty of places still serve soggy fried platters, bland baked scrod, etc., and Legal ain't one of them.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:11 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Ooof. Kelly's in Revere was always first stop after the airport for fish sandwiches. But not the best.

I loved the place that used to be called Capt's in Salem on Pickering Wharf maybe 5-8 yrs ago? It has changed hands a few times since- they had the best lobster bisque ever, and $1 cape oysters at happy hour.
Turners in Salem is good.
Tides in Nahant, best lobster rolls & raw oysters (no mayo, just butter & lobster meat, and oysters from Island creek down cape).
Petey's in Rye, NH for shanty food.
Sail Loft in Boston has *the best* fish sandwiches. Their chowder is not great, despite claims.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:32 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:

Thanks for any info.
Legal's issue is that they have an arrangement with the TSA at Logan. If you want to bring live lobsters out of Boston through the airport, the TSA only allows Legal fish bought inside the airport, and will wave through the ice, ice packs and seaweed... only in a Legal box.

In addition, every live lobster I've bought from Logan Legal and brought aboard a flight to Los Angeles, every one has had roe in it. Those are illegal; in the state and region female lobsters with eggs are supposed to be thrown back. Their price for lobsters is also 3x or more the price of a local restaurant or grocery store.

Never once have I gotten a lobster at a local place or local grocery store with roe. Only Legal.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:50 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,857 times
It all depends on what kind of seafood I'm looking for.

I hate to say it, but some of the best fried shrimp I've ever had were Red Lobster's coconut shrimp. Absolutely incredible.

And the best bang for the buck is Wednesday and Sunday at Captain D's. Certainly not the best quality, but what would you expect for a $4.99 meal that's perfectly decent eating.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:09 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Somebody appears lost.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:47 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
It all depends on what kind of seafood I'm looking for.

I hate to say it, but some of the best fried shrimp I've ever had were Red Lobster's coconut shrimp. Absolutely incredible.

And the best bang for the buck is Wednesday and Sunday at Captain D's. Certainly not the best quality, but what would you expect for a $4.99 meal that's perfectly decent eating.
Captain D's? They don't have an outlet in Mass., not even sure if in NE at all. ?????

And Red Lobster? I suppose if Olive Garden can survive in an Italian-rich suburb like Danvers, I'm not shocked Red Lobster might have a following in Mass. But alas...no RL in Mass. either.

So color me confused.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Everything? The last time I ate there my grilled fish was also inexplicably drowned in butter.

Legal Seafood was good, 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts