Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 09:17 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Agreed. I think the biggest strength of the Portland scene is the concentration of good (but not great) places. It's a fun place to visit for beer because between the Industrial Way (Allagash Area) strip and the East End, there are nice brewery clusters for hopping. But none will blow anyone away. My favorite in Portland is probably Definitive followed by Goodfire - both good/not great in my opinion. Bissell is fine but I don't really get the hype (I see Bissell gear everywhere and people go nuts for Swish which is... fine), but I generally find more I like from Definitive than Bissell on any given day. Foundation's stock has gone WAY down in my book sadly. I used to really like them. But everything else ranges from meh (Shipyard, Rising Tide, Liquid Riot, etc.) to OK (Lone Pine, Battery Steele, Austin Street, Oxbow, etc.). Allagash is the OG of aged/funky stuff, so they get a pass, but others are doing similar things better now. There's nothing in Portland that is really on par with the best of VT or MA at this point.

You are spot on with this. That, and the concentration of good restaurants to go with it.

You can't do that type of day/weekend in VT.... HF to Alchemist to Foam to Foley to River Roost (who I really like)... not feasible easily.

I can't do a case of Tree House. Great place, but that's a ton of beer. Over a month worth of carbs, more like 2 mos for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 09:33 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Not sure when they started but Trillium is doing deliveries and they even go to the Cape. I just had an order dropped off, curious how successful of a model it is but it must be worth it.

They started doing it months ago. Late April maybe?

The Cape is a new addition though. I've only recently noticed they added that. They've adjusted their delivery area map a few times since they started. They've expanded the areas they deliver to

Old 07-24-2020, 04:56 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Not sure when they started but Trillium is doing deliveries and they even go to the Cape. I just had an order dropped off, curious how successful of a model it is but it must be worth it.
They deliver to Western Mass too.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:42 AM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Beer sucks

Old 07-25-2020, 11:04 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Guinness Stout
Regular Guinness will do.

How do we feel about Guinness Blonde? I'm not a big fan.

Old 07-25-2020, 05:40 PM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Sam Adams

Old 07-25-2020, 05:42 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Old 07-26-2020, 12:46 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Wachusett Blueberry. For local beer
Corona or Modelo if I am out local.

But favorite beer? Augustiner

Old 07-26-2020, 09:14 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
Couple great sleepers here in the sticks.

Honest Weight here in Orange makes some excellent IPAs and farmhouse styles. Funcrusher has been a pandemic favorite. Accidental Wilderness also great, and Gate 37 as a farmhouse example. I believe they have been distributing cans to civilization recently, and are known there because head brewer used to brew in Cambridge and keep up connections in Camberville.

Brick & Feather (Turners Falls) makes a couple IPAs up there with Tree House and Trillium. In particular I’d suggest Half Light Sunbeam and No Use for Smugglers. The latter placed highly second or third in the Mass Brew Bros’ statewide tasteoff (Pulp Daddy by Greater Good in Worcester won). Only place to get these beers is at the source though.

Bargain favorites include anything from Fort Hill (Easthampton - 12oz can six packs for <$10 in 2020!!) or Jack’s Abby.

Agreed on most of the observations on Portland and Vermont scenes. I do particularly like Lone Pine in Portland though, out of the city’s oversaturation of mostly average breweries. As for Vermont, wider distribution of Alchemist, Lawson’s, Frost, and Upper Pass has been quite nice, living only 35 minutes from Brattleboro - one benefit of the sticks life. You still have to make the slog to Hill Farmstead though.

Last edited by FCMA; 07-26-2020 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 09:50 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
Brick & Feather (Turners Falls) makes a couple IPAs up there with Tree House and Trillium. In particular I’d suggest Half Light Sunbeam and No Use for Smugglers. The latter placed highly second or third in the Mass Brew Bros’ statewide tasteoff (Pulp Daddy by Greater Good in Worcester won). Only place to get these beers is at the source though. .

Been several times. I really don't get the love for Brick and Feather. At all. Each time I left without buying anything.

Greater Good is decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts