Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 09:59 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Been several times. I really don't get the love for Brick and Feather. At all. Each time I left without buying anything.
I think we had this discussion before. My appreciation is limited to these two excellent beers and the rest - Meh. My opinion on Smugglers is not an outlier. The final one I kinda like is Sauron’s Nightlight porter, which is good when in the mood for a really dark beer.

Last edited by FCMA; 07-26-2020 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 02:37 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,529,669 times
If anyone is interested, here’s how that Mass Brew Bros blind IPA tasteoff went back in 2019. There were some interesting lesser known beers involved. Interesting to see that Tree House’s Haze fell to Feather Edge by Cold Harbor Brewing (Westborough) in the central bracket. Love me some Tree House, but it’s good to remember that other breweries are getting good at making trendy IPAs too.

https://massbrewbros.com/best-ipa-in...-be-surprised/

Old 08-01-2020, 03:28 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,948 times
Heady Topper

Old 08-01-2020, 06:41 PM

843 posts, read 508,047 times
Athletic Brewing Company Freeway IPA.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:41 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I wonder what MA breweries may not make it through the latest crisis?

From a recent FB post from Lord Hobo, seems they aren’t doing well. I wonder if the oversatrurated New England brewery market might get a slight correction in the next few months

Old 08-03-2020, 10:39 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCMA View Post
If anyone is interested, here’s how that Mass Brew Bros blind IPA tasteoff went back in 2019. There were some interesting lesser known beers involved. Interesting to see that Tree House’s Haze fell to Feather Edge by Cold Harbor Brewing (Westborough) in the central bracket. Love me some Tree House, but it’s good to remember that other breweries are getting good at making trendy IPAs too.

https://massbrewbros.com/best-ipa-in...-be-surprised/
We did the Mass Brew Bros. blind test in Somerville at the beginning of March this year (right before things ground to a halt). These were the results. The lists below aren't rankings - they're the numbers affiliated with each beer (they number each beer and participants submit their favorite number). Most weren't too surprising. I'd expect VSB to runaway with the IPA category, but I think they came in 3rd (and Due North is middle of the road as far as their offerings go). But hype does play a big role in all of this stuff. I have some of the Vitamin Sea/Trillium Collab. in the fridge and people in online groups are going nuts for it. It's very good. But it's not near the best of what either brewery offers. There are also lots of other small breweries that brew stuff that is as good, if not better than the big players. We'd take Channel Marker's IPAs over all of Bissell, most of Trillium, and put them up there with Vitamin Sea. But Channel Marker is small, new, and doesn't have the hype that the others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I wonder what MA breweries may not make it through the latest crisis?

From a recent FB post from Lord Hobo, seems they aren’t doing well. I wonder if the oversatrurated New England brewery market might get a slight correction in the next few months
It's going to be interesting. I think it's going to depend on business model more than quality for some. Trillium, Vitamin Sea, etc. sell themselves. They'll be fine. Some very good ones, like Lamplighter, have a taproom heavy model in that most of their revenue comes from butts on bar stools. While they've tried to keep cans to go sales alive, I don't know if it's been super successful. They also have a ton of capital sunk into a major expansion at Cambridge Crossing. So I worry about them. On the other hand, a place like Bone Up which would have worried me a few years ago seems to be doing well with their big beer garden, and the increased quality and distribution reach. But I would expect some casualties as well as some nearly-opened breweries to never see the light of day (Cold Cuts, Medford Brewing Company).

Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I'm surprised to see Cold Harbour getting any love. Its near my office, and after two tries walking away empty handed, I gave up.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:40 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Slumbrew just announced they are shutting down for good. They've been in trouble for awhile. When their space at Assembly Row closed down, there were a lot of rumblings. They also were heavily distributed through restaurants, which hurt them even more. Slumbrew's beer garden was my first foray into craft beer, so I feel extra sad about it even though I had not bought their beer in some time.

The breweries that will survive are those whose name carries a lot of weight (Trillium, Tree House), those with strong distribution in package stores (Night Shift & Might Squirrel even distribute to my Trader Joe's DEEP in the burbs), and those with outdoor seating + a strong fan base + above average beer (Medusa, Bone Up). Even better if the latter has been able to pivot to canned. I'm worried about any brewery that has limited/no outdoor seating and didn't already have cans as part of their business model before March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts