Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 20,547 times

Advertisements

After reading all your responses ( which were so helpful ) we are now considering Burlington too. Considering that it would be a very short commute to work. Having said that, I do welcome any reviews on the Burlington school district or More information on new home construction/ communities. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 05:28 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riba79 View Post
After reading all your responses ( which were so helpful ) we are now considering Burlington too. Considering that it would be a very short commute to work. Having said that, I do welcome any reviews on the Burlington school district or More information on new home construction/ communities. Thank you.
As someone with family and friends there and was recently shopping Burlington, they have great schools. They aren't top 10 on the Boston Magazine lists you see people dwell on but MA schools in general are among the top in the country. As robr2 mentioned the taxes in Burlington are low due to lots of commercial property, which also means the schools are well funded.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:48 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
As the resident, resident - you'll find the schools to be very good. Not Lexington good but very good. Lots of opportunities for music, arts, athletics, robotics, etc. in school as well as a number of the same outside of school. It's a 1:1 district and all students - down to kindergarten - are assigned iPads. They come home with the students starting in middle school.

There aren't any new communities being constructed as there isn't much land left. The last was Seven Springs about 10 years ago. You will find new construction in existing neighborhoods where a small house is torn down and a larger home built in it's place. The Fox Hill neighborhood is what many consider the best part of town but overall, there isn't a bad area. The Winmere neighborhood (east of 95) has smaller lots.

Right now there are at least a dozen houses under construction around town. I'm guessing none are under $1 million. You really should reach out to a realtor here in town to guide you.

Taxes are low for residential and the retail and commercial sector pay most of the taxes. The town will be connecting to the MWRA for our water supply next year so those costs will jump somewhat.

Good luck.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:35 PM

Thank you so much robr2!! ...that is so insightful....I will keep you all posted along the way as we progress with our choices. I am so grateful to every one here for all their help.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

Few updates and questions re: our situation

We are a family of 4 ( kids 11 and 7 ) moving from NJ to MA. I’m a stay at home mom and my husband is starting a new job in Burlington. Our preferences (in no order ) are as follows:

- very good school district ( a must )
- good mix of diversity ( more so Asian Indian population), also proximity to Indian groceries and restaurants would be a plus
- safe neighborhood
- good interiors of house ( new construction would be great as well as homeS that are relatively newer )
- towns within an hour of Burlington are fine ( with COVID, working from home more often is a possibility )
- budget of about $ 950k to $1M
- tax rate around 1.6 / 1.7 % or under.

Our relocation formalities will take a couple weeks so it will be then that we get to appoint a realtor. So, I am looking for answers to some questions I have in the meanwhile. My questions are as follows :

My Questions :

Overall, we did like some houses in Shrewsbury, Westford, Burlington, Hopkinton.
Question - do these neighborhoods check most of our preferences ?? Any specific builders or communities we should look at here?

We do like Westborough, Acton as well, but I’m thinking that the taxes are little bit higher here.
Question- Is that correct?

As much as we would love to buy in Burlington itself, I’m not liking the interiors of the house much over there. Also, I find them a little older and less space.
Question- Any new communities/ builders we can look into in Burlington??

Also, we were leaning a lot towardS Shrewsbury. When I look at the SOLD listings in Shrewsbury over the last 6 to 8 months, I’m finding that the current “For Sale” homes in Shrewsbury are very very overpriced.
Question - Can anyone with some real estate background here throw some light on this, as to is it a temporary phenomenon due to COVID ? Or is this how the Shrewsbury real estate market is?

Also, a huge problem we are facing is lack of inventory or whatever few nice houses that come on the market are selling off rather quickly.

My husband’s workplace has some realtor tie ups in the relocation package but we will be able to work with that after a couple weeks once all the initially paperwork is settled. So, until then I was feeling stuck and was hoping I could get some help with my answers here.

How does Boylston fit into our preferences? I’m unsure of its school system. I read that it has one combined middle school and high school?? Also how is the school district?

Does Southborough/ Northborough fit into our preferences?

Please suggest Any other neighborhoods we maybe missing in our search?

I understand this is too much information and questions, but, I’d appreciate any kind of assistance here.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Riba79; 09-05-2020 at 08:46 PM..

Old 09-06-2020, 04:19 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
I really think Burlington meets every criteria. One thing I forgot to mention is the availability of markets and dining:

Groceries
Raja and Rana's
Spiceland
Hello Brother
H Mart (in a pinch)

Dining
Ritu Ki Rasoi
Al Maidah
The Treasury (Indian and Greek- how that matches, I don't know.)

Old 09-07-2020, 08:27 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
We do like Westborough, Acton as well, but I’m thinking that the taxes are little bit higher here.
Question- Is that correct?

Also, we were leaning a lot towardS Shrewsbury. When I look at the SOLD listings in Shrewsbury over the last 6 to 8 months, I’m finding that the current “For Sale” homes in Shrewsbury are very very overpriced.
Question - Can anyone with some real estate background here throw some light on this, as to is it a temporary phenomenon due to COVID ? Or is this how the Shrewsbury real estate market is?

Also, a huge problem we are facing is lack of inventory or whatever few nice houses that come on the market are selling off rather quickly.

How does Boylston fit into our preferences? I’m unsure of its school system. I read that it has one combined middle school and high school?? Also how is the school district?

Does Southborough/ Northborough fit into our preferences?
Shrewsbury, Westborough, Northborough, Southborough, and especially Boylston are not within 60 minutes from Burlington under normal circumstances.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:15 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Shrewsbury, Westborough, Northborough, Southborough, and especially Boylston are not within 60 minutes from Burlington under normal circumstances.
Yeah, not to dismiss that area as I'm sure there are advantages to living there vs., say, Acton and vice versa.. But, with a commute to Burlington, and criteria including large Indian population and good schools, the short list should be Burlington, Westford, and Acton.

OP, I believe I already went into detail on this, but I'd suggest the following areas if you do focus on Westford. Look at map view of these homes, as they are areas with a substantial Indian population with lots of families:

Swedes Crossing/Aldrich Ln/Baldwin Rd area
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-20465?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-42048?view=qv
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M33780-76535
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M43768-27515

Hitchin' Post Greens
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M30359-00651
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M30364-22374

Lakeside Terrace
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7-09499#photo3
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M48009-38858

Old 09-11-2020, 02:18 PM

Thank you so much for all the help!

Old 07-20-2023, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 670 times
I know this thread is old but in case someone is looking for an updated response to this question I would say Westford. We moved in 2019 when the school district was rated #1 in the state. Plus there is a Kumon.

We moved here for similar reasons to the originator of the post. Including our daughter, half of her pre-k classmates are also of Indian ancestry. They even celebrate some of the Indian holidays in class.

It is between Lowell and Acton which have a large Indian population and (especially Lowell) restaurants. I love it here. It is politically/ideologically diverse, the people are friendly and it's not far from Burlington. I truly love it here. I just hate that there are so many darn bugs and barely any sidewalks which is something to consider with small children. There are no great restaurants here but we live near so many towns that have a good food scene.

Last edited by CJB1; 07-20-2023 at 05:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts