Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 11:36 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerda View Post
I am so happy to hear that, especially because I am really familiar with how rare it is to find a tech hub on the east, like you mentioned. While it was safe to assume Boston would be one, I wasn't totally sure. although I am not surprised.

I did a cursory real estate search for even lower than what I am projecting we will have to work with, and was happy to see several specks throughout the general area between Worcester and Boston. Is Maynard way too far? I saw a gorgeous home for something in the 200's. Plenty of space and colonial. We aren't moving anytime THAT soon, but to see that there are homes in the vicinity of these suggested areas was good.
Maynard is an old "mill town" that has seen a bit of rejuvenation over the years. Certainly safe, albeit not deemed a desirable town in the grand scheme of Greater Boston. Same could be said for Hudson.

I would think, based on the fact that you're coming from Texas Hill Country and want more space, you'll feel more comfortable in those towns west of 495 towards Worcester.

I would also expect that, based on seniority, dev work should pay $100k+ along 495/95. Depends largely on experience, and vertical served. But, you should be able to find plenty of house and lot in Central Mass based on combined salary.

Obviously, Boston is a great spot for bio, R&D, Universities, and Healthcare. So, a ton of dev work out there across all sectors. But if you want to stay in pureplay tech, ton of that too. If you're open to cybersecurity, there is a lotttt of opportunity around here. Households names, like the following, either have global HQ or NA HQ in Greater Boston: Carbon Black, Sophos, Mimecast, RSA, Veracode, Kaspersky, Akamai... List goes on. It's also the startup hub in the East Coast, so plenty of opportunity to join a young company. Very few places I'd feel more secure as a dev/sec/secops/solarch/SE, etc.

Last edited by mwj119; 09-18-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 11:44 AM

88 posts, read 196,085 times
Quote:
What about Agawam? I saw a response mentioning it. It looks pretty eastern- would being that far east be out of the question?

I always make this mistake : I definitely meant "west". Sorry for the miscommunication.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
OP, not trying to hijack the thread, but does it have to be Massachusetts? We were in a similar boat as you down in the Dallas area, and now live in Minnesota. 2 of our kids are autistic and they thrive here with the programs and services that are available. The kicker is $400,000 will put you in a really nice, spacious home here or pretty much anywhere in the Midwest outside of Chicago while you’ll have to settle for 100 year old termites holding hands anywhere near Boston and in most of New England. Check it out, because a $400,000 home in Texas will go for almost twice that in many of the areas you’re asking about.

Minnesota would definitely be financially more feasible, and for our daughter's youth a great option. But once she become 18, I believe the state stop mandating insurance from all providers from offering the care that many people with autism continue to require. I think in MA the most lax they are willing to be with providers is a 3 max period to not offer these benefits. Again, that's just cursory information- I'm sure there are many provisions I'm unaware of that would make living there fantastic for us- but I really am looking for something that will assure us the things we need for my daughter's lifetime- beyond even 21 years of age. Hence Vermont not being our first pick, either.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:50 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
Agawam is very far west of Boston. It is about a 90 minute car ride from downtown Boston without traffic. Not a commute you would want to do daily.
OP has no requirement for commute yet, let alone to Boston.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:21 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Minnesota would definitely be financially more feasible, and for our daughter's youth a great option. But once she become 18, I believe the state stop mandating insurance from all providers from offering the care that many people with autism continue to require. I think in MA the most lax they are willing to be with providers is a 3 max period to not offer these benefits. Again, that's just cursory information- I'm sure there are many provisions I'm unaware of that would make living there fantastic for us- but I really am looking for something that will assure us the things we need for my daughter's lifetime- beyond even 21 years of age. Hence Vermont not being our first pick, either.
Got it. Where are you from originally? Only asking because I've lived in Boston, too, and that is a completely different world in pretty much every aspect than anywhere in Texas. I loved being in Boston as a single person, but when I began to think about family life I realized I was gonna have to make a ridiculous amount of sacrifices in order to stay there and raise a family on my (our) salary. As others have pointed out there are less expensive areas of Massachusetts, but New England as a whole is monstrously expensive compared to anywhere down south and most of the Midwest. That said, NE is stunningly gorgeous, even in comparison to the TX hill country, which is more of a borderline desert landscape. There is no comparison between the hill country of TX and Appalachian NE aesthetically unless you just happen to be more into that southwestern type scenery.

Also keep in mind that programs, services and policies can change over time depending on many things....but mainly the financing available, of course. I suppose that goes for us here in MN as well.

Sorry to harp on, but even though you're apparently moving for the benefit of your child you still want to live as comfortably as you can, yes?

Old 09-18-2020, 01:07 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
What about Agawam? I saw a response mentioning it. It looks pretty eastern- would being that far east be out of the question?
Springfield has a good bit of autism support areas. It pretty easy to find an inexpensive place under $400k AND 30 minutes to Springfield. It's also close enough to make Hartford either commutable or just easy access. However the "better" places are north of Springfield making 30 minutes to Hartford tough.

It is a whole lot harder to get to weekly appointments in Boston though.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Got it. Where are you from originally? Only asking because I've lived in Boston, too, and that is a completely different world in pretty much every aspect than anywhere in Texas. I loved being in Boston as a single person, but when I began to think about family life I realized I was gonna have to make a ridiculous amount of sacrifices in order to stay there and raise a family on my (our) salary. As others have pointed out there are less expensive areas of Massachusetts, but New England as a whole is monstrously expensive compared to anywhere down south and most of the Midwest. That said, NE is stunningly gorgeous, even in comparison to the TX hill country, which is more of a borderline desert landscape. There is no comparison between the hill country of TX and Appalachian NE aesthetically unless you just happen to be more into that southwestern type scenery.

Also keep in mind that programs, services and policies can change over time depending on many things....but mainly the financing available, of course. I suppose that goes for us here in MN as well.

Sorry to harp on, but even though you're apparently moving for the benefit of your child you still want to live as comfortably as you can, yes?

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm originally from Houston- and have always wanted to remain *outside* of a city if I can for that reason. Love cities, but I don't want to raise a kid in one - considering I was a kid from one. And even in Texas, the financing is slowly be allocated to different amenities. But its taking longer than we'd like, and we would rather not wait.

But I don't think Boston is going to be where in MA we end up settling, either. It is incredibly expensive- and, at most, we are keeping the greater Boston area open in our minds as more of a work outlet than where we are going to be purchasing our residence. But i'm not sure yet what commutes to and from differing cities to Boston even looks like yet, so that's also up in the air.

So really, I'm open to any city outside of Boston, as well as Boston itself (though I'm not banking on it too heavily). Having the provisions that the state has (outside of just autism care) makes the cost of living in the state pretty worth the hassle when you have a household that could use a lot of the assistance, and its provided throughout. Not district to district/city to city like Texas is.

I lived Ithaca for a while and definitely empathize with what you're saying in regards to the vast differences in the terrain. And I pined for the southwest when I was there, yet long for the snow that I am back in the south. As far as weather goes, the grass is always greener. Its more a quality of healthcare services provided that we are in search of now.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Springfield has a good bit of autism support areas. It pretty easy to find an inexpensive place under $400k AND 30 minutes to Springfield. It's also close enough to make Hartford either commutable or just easy access. However the "better" places are north of Springfield making 30 minutes to Hartford tough.

It is a whole lot harder to get to weekly appointments in Boston though.

If there are regular schools and therapy centers near where we would live, and if our work remains mostly remote, we would not mind it too much if we did not have to travel to boston too much. Granted, if we lived not in Boston, that is.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:23 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, definitely. I'm originally from Houston- and have always wanted to remain *outside* of a city if I can for that reason. Love cities, but I don't want to raise a kid in one - considering I was a kid from one. And even in Texas, the financing is slowly be allocated to different amenities. But its taking longer than we'd like, and we would rather not wait.

But I don't think Boston is going to be where in MA we end up settling, either. It is incredibly expensive- and, at most, we are keeping the greater Boston area open in our minds as more of a work outlet than where we are going to be purchasing our residence. But i'm not sure yet what commutes to and from differing cities to Boston even looks like yet, so that's also up in the air.

So really, I'm open to any city outside of Boston, as well as Boston itself (though I'm not banking on it too heavily). Having the provisions that the state has (outside of just autism care) makes the cost of living in the state pretty worth the hassle when you have a household that could use a lot of the assistance, and its provided throughout. Not district to district/city to city like Texas is.

I lived Ithaca for a while and definitely empathize with what you're saying in regards to the vast differences in the terrain. And I pined for the southwest when I was there, yet long for the snow that I am back in the south. As far as weather goes, the grass is always greener. Its more a quality of healthcare services provided that we are in search of now.
If you're set on MA then I would personally look into the Pittsfield area out in the Berkshires (far western MA). I just happened to be reading up on and watching some YouTube videos of that area this week and it looks just beautiful....very Rockwellesque, if you will. I could see us living in a spot like that. Plus, even though it's all the way on the other side of the state it's still only 2 hours from Boston for anything else you might need/want out of that area. One of the benefits of living in a small state as opposed to a behemoth like TX.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
If you're set on MA then I would personally look into the Pittsfield area out in the Berkshires (far western MA). I just happened to be reading up on and watching some YouTube videos of that area this week and it looks just beautiful....very Rockwellesque, if you will. I could see us living in a spot like that. Plus, even though it's all the way on the other side of the state it's still only 2 hours from Boston for anything else you might need/want out of that area. One of the benefits of living in a small state as opposed to a behemoth like TX.

Haha, I agree! I know I wouldn't want to make a 2 hour trek every week, but 2 hours is nothing for us after a life in Texas. Gosh- two hours west from where I am (the start of the hill country) and you're still in the hill country.

I'm dreaming of something very rockwellesque, as it turns out- so I will absolutely check that area out, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts