Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 07:30 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Absolutely. There are several market areas that are not popping quite as much. The 'burbs are really popular right now due to the exodus occurring from the urban core. I was talking with someone the other day who lives in a condo building in Back Bay and he was lamenting that when it comes to living downtown the shine is off the apple. All the perks of living there are gone for him and he feels it would be really nice to have more space and a yard.
I don't know about this. I understand someone packed into a smaller condo with no outdoor space may be ready to break out to something larger; however, this isn't an urban thing but simply a cost thing. If someone has 1,500 square feet and a private roof deck/back yard in Back Bay, the shine is very much still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 07:40 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I don't know about this. I understand someone packed into a smaller condo with no outdoor space may be ready to break out to something larger; however, this isn't an urban thing but simply a cost thing. If someone has 1,500 square feet and a private roof deck/back yard in Back Bay, the shine is very much still there.
A 1500 sq. ft. property with private roof deck in Back Bay is going to be about $2.5m. I'd guess someone with that kind of money expects VERY shiny apples.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:04 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
I was wondering why, when using Redfin, parts of the countries are grayed out and don't show any house. For instance all of western MA. Does anyone know?

Old 10-08-2020, 08:18 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I was wondering why, when using Redfin, parts of the countries are grayed out and don't show any house. For instance all of western MA. Does anyone know?
Those are the areas that Redfin doesn't service.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Thank you!

Old 10-08-2020, 10:38 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Not sure what this guy has in terms of outdoor space but those were his words. Of course, when we were talking we were standing in the yard of a nearly 4 acre property in Brookline. The yard was quite literally like a small park.

I do have another friend who just moved from the South End to Needham. He had a 2 level condo with included a fenced patio area. He's super excited to be out of the city right now and everyone that knows him thought the only way he'd ever leave the South End was in a pine box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Redfin is a brokerage. So unlike Zillow they're only going to display properties in areas where they are a member of the local MLS. Western MA is served by a different MLS system than Eastern MA. I would assume as you say they do not have any agents that operate in that area so they are not members of that MLS. They also have a "partner agent" program where they refer you out to an agent that works for another brokerage but you still get the same rebates, etc. Redfin approached me about joining that program years ago but I wasn't interested. They must not have a "partner agent" out that way either.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:03 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Not sure what this guy has in terms of outdoor space but those were his words. Of course, when we were talking we were standing in the yard of a nearly 4 acre property in Brookline. The yard was quite literally like a small park.

I do have another friend who just moved from the South End to Needham. He had a 2 level condo with included a fenced patio area. He's super excited to be out of the city right now and everyone that knows him thought the only way he'd ever leave the South End was in a pine box.
Sounds like something my friends would say about me. Instead of fleeing the South End though, I doubled my space and added a private yard. I'd slowly die of sadness if I moved to Needham; those types of towns just aren't my thing.

Old 10-08-2020, 01:47 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Sounds like something my friends would say about me. Instead of fleeing the South End though, I doubled my space and added a private yard. I'd slowly die of sadness if I moved to Needham; those types of towns just aren't my thing.
That's what my friend always said! He's loving it out here right now though.

For about $200K more than what he wants to sell his 1800 sq ft condo with a patio for, he now has a near 5,000 sq ft house walking distance to almost everything in Needham and he has a nice yard all on a quiet side street. Plus, he no longer has to lock himself in his bedroom M-F while he's "at work" because he now has a dedicated home office space. He's very happy.

Old 10-14-2020, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 272 times
Zillow is the best search Engine for Real estate.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
A 1500 sq. ft. property with private roof deck in Back Bay is going to be about $2.5m. I'd guess someone with that kind of money expects VERY shiny apples.
They also probably own a vacation home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts