Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 07:42 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalhomebuyers View Post
Zillow is the best search Engine for Real estate.
This has to be a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
They also probably own a vacation home.
A friend of mine who lives in Boston and was feeling a bit cooped up during the pandemic ended up buying a vacation home in New Hampshire. There were tons of articles about people fleeing to the Cape, MV, Ack, etc. during the pandemic. People who live in the city and have 2nd homes were definitely making use of them this year. If you're working from home . . . why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 08:27 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
For about $200K more than what he wants to sell his 1800 sq ft condo with a patio for, he now has a near 5,000 sq ft house
From an economics example, sure. However, practically either he couldn't have been happy in his city place or is going to hate a 5,000 sqft McMansion eventually.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
From an economics example, sure. However, practically either he couldn't have been happy in his city place or is going to hate a 5,000 sqft McMansion eventually.
It will be interesting to see a year or two from now how all of these people feel who have moved out of the city. Chances are at that point, at least some of them will be commuting again and hopefully life will be back to something more normal.

My friend LOVED living in the South End. He said you'd have to drag him out of there in a pine box. He absolutely loves his new house. He loves having all the space and a yard. If he could take his current home and plop it in the South End I'm sure he'd be even happier but it would have cost him twice as much as what he paid.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:24 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
If he could take his current home and plop it in the South End I'm sure he'd be even happier but it would have cost him twice as much as what he paid.
That's concerning to me. Why would you leave a place you're happy for no other reason than more house? Doesn't sound so much like he has been converted to the suburban life as he is settling for it in return for the bribe of a larger piece of real estate.

Unless having more house than he knows what to do with was always his number one priority, this might end up being something he's less happy with once the new house and/or pandemic smell wears off.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
That's concerning to me. Why would you leave a place you're happy for no other reason than more house? Doesn't sound so much like he has been converted to the suburban life as he is settling for it in return for the bribe of a larger piece of real estate.

Unless having more house than he knows what to do with was always his number one priority, this might end up being something he's less happy with once the new house and/or pandemic smell wears off.
He moved because he was unhappy with where he was living (his wife was even more unhappy). He couldn't walk to restaurants. All the playgrounds were closed for a while and his kids had no place to go. He no longer had the benefit of walking to work. He had to lock himself in his bedroom to work M-F. He's also a bit of a germaphobe and the thought of living in close quarters with other people with a pandemic going on was a big "no!" for him.

He may or may not change his mind one day when things get back more to what they used to be. However, his wife was lobbying for a move to the 'burbs long before there was a pandemic. My hunch is by the time the pandemic ends he'll be used to life in the 'burbs and will not regret his move. As much as the city dwellers like to think it's hell on earth out here, there really are some benefits and a place like Needham is a very different place to live than a place like Sherborn.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
He moved because he was unhappy with where he was living (his wife was even more unhappy). He couldn't walk to restaurants. All the playgrounds were closed for a while and his kids had no place to go. He no longer had the benefit of walking to work.
I find quite shocking that people actually moved because of the pandemic. It's such a short term thing

Old 10-16-2020, 07:37 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I find quite shocking that people actually moved because of the pandemic. It's such a short term thing
Life is short. Improving quality of life for a year or more is a big deal to some people. The 2020 sh*tshow, may continue far into 2021.

Beyond that I think the pandemic pushed many people on the fence about moving (who isn’t at times) over the edge. This time has forced people to reevaluate what is important to them, whether it is being close to family or having different things for their kids, etc.. Now that people are moving past being paralyzed by fear, I am seeing more people make moves (and not necessarily just from the city to the suburbs).

Old 10-16-2020, 08:17 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
He moved because he was unhappy with where he was living (his wife was even more unhappy). He couldn't walk to restaurants. All the playgrounds were closed for a while and his kids had no place to go. He no longer had the benefit of walking to work. He had to lock himself in his bedroom to work M-F. He's also a bit of a germaphobe and the thought of living in close quarters with other people with a pandemic going on was a big "no!" for him.

He may or may not change his mind one day when things get back more to what they used to be. However, his wife was lobbying for a move to the 'burbs long before there was a pandemic. My hunch is by the time the pandemic ends he'll be used to life in the 'burbs and will not regret his move. As much as the city dwellers like to think it's hell on earth out here, there really are some benefits and a place like Needham is a very different place to live than a place like Sherborn.
Whatever works for him I guess, though it sounds like he lived in a different South End than I do. I'm still walking to restaurants (the only one I know that's still closed is the Buttery on Clarendon, though it was really only take-out even before the pandemic) and we walk to any of 6 different parks every morning. In late March/early April a lot of stuff closed down, but it would have all been closed in Needham, too. I know the grocery situation was such that we were walking in and easily getting things like TP and paper towels for friends in the burbs because Star@Pru, WF@InkBlock, or Roche@DTX would have supplies while people were still standing in lines to even get in to grocery stores out in a place like Dedham. That is, Boston felt like one of the first areas to return to a form of normal, even though it featured people wearing masks and standing further apart. I haven't waited in a line in Boston for a several months now, and am using my own bag, but I swing out to Volante on a weekend...lines. Went to the Trader Joes in Burlington...lines.

It sounds more like the germaphobe part was the driving factor in his decision; you're certainly going to get your hands dirty living in the city.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post

Personally, I think it's the whole telecommuting thing that was created by the pandemic. I telecommuted for a decade and telecommuted for a few years back in the 1990s but that was very unusual. Now, it's normal. Once "office" is something where you might have to eventually show up a few times per month to get some face time, you can live anywhere you want. If it's only a couple times per month, a 2 or 3 hour drive, and maybe a hotel night or two is no big deal. In my opinion, the Boston real estate market has been driven by the necessity to avoid the soul-crushing commute.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Whatever works for him I guess, though it sounds like he lived in a different South End than I do. I'm still walking to restaurants (the only one I know that's still closed is the Buttery on Clarendon, though it was really only take-out even before the pandemic) and we walk to any of 6 different parks every morning. In late March/early April a lot of stuff closed down, but it would have all been closed in Needham, too. I know the grocery situation was such that we were walking in and easily getting things like TP and paper towels for friends in the burbs because Star@Pru, WF@InkBlock, or Roche@DTX would have supplies while people were still standing in lines to even get in to grocery stores out in a place like Dedham. That is, Boston felt like one of the first areas to return to a form of normal, even though it featured people wearing masks and standing further apart. I haven't waited in a line in Boston for a several months now, and am using my own bag, but I swing out to Volante on a weekend...lines. Went to the Trader Joes in Burlington...lines.

It sounds more like the germaphobe part was the driving factor in his decision; you're certainly going to get your hands dirty living in the city.
He loves having a big house. He was sacrificing that to live in the city and be able to walk to things including his office. When all of that went away (even if some of it returned after a month or so) it made him reevaluate his priorities. Now it doesn't matter to him if the whole world shuts down because he has tons of space and lots of things to do right on his own property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts