Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 06:15 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
If you want to get out of it defer until the week of xmas. There are no trials during that week.
There are no jury trials being held now because of Covid. Maybe in 6 months or so, but not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 06:59 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
No I wish. I have had 3 in my entire life.

I would like to do it.
Same boat. Since moving to MA 12 years ago, I've been called once. Served 6 hours or so and then was released. I've since moved from Middlesex to Suffolk county, and have yet to see a summons in Suffolk.

The one annoyance I had with Middlesex was the uneven distribution. People living out past Leominster would get called in to Newton or Camberville to serve, forcing them to come in on route 2 with the commuter traffic in the morning.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:06 AM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
There are no jury trials being held now because of Covid. Maybe in 6 months or so, but not now.
Jury trials are expected to resume on Friday (Oct 23) on a limited basis.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/sjc-fourth-...ed-by/download

See #9.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:06 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The one annoyance I had with Middlesex was the uneven distribution. People living out past Leominster would get called in to Newton or Camberville to serve, forcing them to come in on route 2 with the commuter traffic in the morning.

I always got called to a courthouse that was quite a distance from me, and very inconvenient. I would reschedule my service, and just pick a courthouse that was closer or more convenient. My last trip, I did Salem courthouse.

If anyone can recommend a good courthouse in Essex country with EASY parking, i'm all ears. I want to be able to drive up, park the car, and stroll in without much stress.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:15 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No they are starting up again. Why else would the op have received a summons? Federal trials have already resumed.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:30 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I always got called to a courthouse that was quite a distance from me, and very inconvenient. I would reschedule my service, and just pick a courthouse that was closer or more convenient. My last trip, I did Salem courthouse.
The last time I got summoned I tried to reschedule to a courthouse closer to where I was; and got rejected.

It would really suck for me now because I think I wouldn't get paid if summoned. Even if it was just a one day trial.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
No they are starting up again. Why else would the op have received a summons? Federal trials have already resumed.

My wife got one a few weeks ago. Then she was informed it was cancelled and she didn't have to report, but could be recalled at any time.

I assume at some point they will restart, but that's going to be interested when you draft a pool of high-risk retirees and force them to sit in a room with each other. I personally wouldn't want to go if I was in their shoes.

Old 10-19-2020, 07:35 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
I assume at some point they will restart, but that's going to be interested when you draft a pool of high-risk retirees and force them to sit in a room with each other. I personally wouldn't want to go if I was in their shoes.
For the most part they have taken extreme precautions -- it isn't the same old jury duty.

Personally I think that is a good thing -- jury duty needs to be shaken up.

Old 10-19-2020, 08:14 AM

I personally don't mind going. I am paid by my company when I go, so it's really not a huge inconvenience to me. The last few times I've gone, jurors were allowed to bring their cell phones. I'll spend the day doing some emails, some google research on some projects i'm working on, etc. Do some personal stuff on my phone. Once in a while I've made some entertaining small talk with some of the people there. Good to get out and see different things I guess.

Then we go into the room, and it's pretty entertaining to watch people squirm and try to BS their way out only to get denied.

The last 4-5 times I've gone, I've been impaneled, but then I've been booted off during the final lawyer review. My theory is that lawyers just don't like engineers on their panel

Old 10-19-2020, 09:48 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
The last 4-5 times I've gone, I've been impaneled, but then I've been booted off during the final lawyer review. My theory is that lawyers just don't like engineers on their panel
Is it the prosecutors or defense attorneys that usually object to your engineering background?

I've received six jury summonses over my 28 year adult life.

Hancock County Maine - cancelled as I had moved to Quincy MA
Norfolk County Mass - cancelled as I had moved to Lowell MA
Middlesex County Mass (1) - deferred it because I did not want to go to Malden courthouse
Middlesex County Mass (2) - Malden again, asked for transfer citing injury seeking Lowell or Woburn locations
Middlesex County Mass (3) - rescheduled the above in Lowell, it was cancelled the day before over the phone
Federal district court in Boston - moved to New Hampshire and they cancelled it at my request

I am curious about the impanel process. What kind of questions do potential jurors get asked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts