Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 04:38 PM

5,093 posts, read 2,654,205 times

Advertisements

Rude-schmude. Rude is one of the most overused terms going. It is so subjective it's almost meaningless unless it is being used intraculturally. And then there are those people who consider anyone rude if they don't kiss their rear-end. There are aspects about Greater Boston culture I don't care for (just like other places) but this generalized "rude" business is BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 10:23 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I find it rare in the Boston area if someone *doesn't* say "sorry" or "excuse me" when bumping into me at the store. Same in traffic, as they'll almost always stop while I cross the street in a crosswalk, as they must stop, anyway. Or they wave me thru even while I cross illegally, so as not to hit me, I guess

Maybe most of us just recall the relatively few unfavorable incidents and forget the pleasant ones?

But even when not in a major crosswalk, they'll often stop, then wait for me to cross until I sometimes just wave them through instead.

Maybe it's that I'm 60 plus and some of them wouldn't usually give that courtesy to much younger people?

But, yes, I do occasionally encounter the rude MBTA employee as well as regular folks when out and about.

But several times in Quincy while walking this year, people have said "hello" or nodded. But usually not. I was walking through a Milton neighborhood on the Quincy border on a Sunday morning, and a man my age said "hello," maybe thinking I live in the immediate neighborhood; but in reality, I couldn't afford a house or even a condo in Milton!

And when I chat people up at the store, most have been receptive, but not all. Same with CVS and grocery store employees.

Oh, and maybe my being white does help in most cases, but would be a detriment in others?

But I'll admit my cousin from Ontario, Canada and her husband from way upstate NY complained when they moved just outside of Portland, Maine, about a very unfriendly household or more on their street in an upscale area. He simply chalked it up to, "Hey...it's New England!"

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 11-18-2020 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-19-2020, 03:25 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
I felt like giving a rude response but I restrained myself. But I'm in W. Mass., anyway.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:13 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I find it rare in the Boston area if someone *doesn't* say "sorry" or "excuse me" when bumping into me at the store. Same in traffic, as they'll almost always stop while I cross the street in a crosswalk, as they must stop, anyway. Or they wave me thru even while I cross illegally, so as not to hit me, I guess
I find it varies. There are certain towns where I know I can stand on the edge of a crosswalk with a toddler in my arms, and 20-30 cars will drive past me without stopping, and then there are certain towns where all I need to do is turn and face the street and cars will slam on the brakes for me to let me cross. It's dramatic how much of a difference it can be.

As to which towns those are, i'll keep that to myself.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:54 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Didn't take even one C-D page for someone to inject partisan politics into what would normally be a simple question about local human nature.

Well the study was of America and many of the most offensive states happen to lean Left in the majority of their politics. I wouldn't know since I have always lived in Mass. but my wife has lived in red states and she found the people to be more open, friendly and willing to help. than they are here in the Bay state.

Locally I know people with opposing political views and those that identify as Democrats are far more uptight and rude than those that do not identify with that party.

This is 2020 and most things have been aligned with politics so putting a partisan spin on this thread is just another thought, another angle up for debate as to why Mass. is ranked one of the rudest in the US.

I guess an easier answer would have been to blame the weather?

Old 11-19-2020, 12:47 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Well the study was of America and many of the most offensive states happen to lean Left in the majority of their politics. I wouldn't know since I have always lived in Mass. but my wife has lived in red states and she found the people to be more open, friendly and willing to help. than they are here in the Bay state.

Locally I know people with opposing political views and those that identify as Democrats are far more uptight and rude than those that do not identify with that party.

This is 2020 and most things have been aligned with politics so putting a partisan spin on this thread is just another thought, another angle up for debate as to why Mass. is ranked one of the rudest in the US.

Are you capable of viewing the world through a lens which isn't that of persecuted 'conservative'? Nearly half of the listed states have a strong R lean ... there goes that 'theory'.

The easier answer is that this 'study' used metrics which favors/punishes certain behaviors ... behaviors which may or may not reflect poorly within a local 'culture'. Or just bad data. MA scored worst in it's "unfriendly" ranking, which appears to be some s___ travel survey via social media. Yeah, bad data.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:52 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Well--let me throw a major wrench in your theory--Minnesota is one of the friendliest states I've ever lived in, and the last time they voted for a Republican for President was 1972.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:10 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
There are rude people everywhere.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:53 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
What does rude mean? I think even that term runs the gamut based on where you're from and what your experience is.

I grew up in ruralish Georgia and remember that a lot of interactions with strangers that others peg as being friendly felt really rude to me: cashiers commenting on the entire contents of my grocery cart (not necessarily in a negative way), lots of chatting with strangers in line or in waiting rooms, neighbors who know a little too much, etc.

It was a huge relief to move to Massachusetts. I could exist as an introvert and no one thought the less of me! I've always found people in New England to be really slow to warm up to you and unlikely to make small talk compared to elsewhere, but very fast to help out. You also know where you stand with New Englanders.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:54 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What does rude mean? I think even that term runs the gamut based on where you're from and what your experience is.

I grew up in ruralish Georgia and remember that a lot of interactions with strangers that others peg as being friendly felt really rude to me: cashiers commenting on the entire contents of my grocery cart (not necessarily in a negative way), lots of chatting with strangers in line or in waiting rooms, neighbors who know a little too much, etc.

It was a huge relief to move to Massachusetts. I could exist as an introvert and no one thought the less of me! I've always found people in New England to be really slow to warm up to you and unlikely to make small talk compared to elsewhere, but very fast to help out. You also know where you stand with New Englanders.
Maybe it is difficult to make friends when people just "mind their own business"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts