Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 04:09 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Talla

Look at Reading, North Reading, Lynnfield, Andover, Wilmington, Bedford, Chelmsford. All that said, unless this relocation is a career must, I would consider not doing it.
Drive into Cambridge on 93 from these towns? Depending on where in Cambridge, that could be a hassle, couldn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 04:19 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'd personally rather live in an area with some variety. Despite what you may have read on this forum, Brockton's problems rarely spread over to Easton aka. "New Brockton".
I was just playing along as, now that Wror’s obsession is past us, I can find it amusing.

Yeah, Easton is a perfectly fine town and having Borderland Park within is a great perk, as are the handful of serviceable restaurants/bars. I have no issues with Easton, I just don’t care much for the otherwise flat and dreary neighboring communities.

The contrast between the white working class Reagan Republicans and struggling minority communities next door is a vibe I don’t care much for. The thoroughly middle to upper middle class metrowest has its own problems (which I’ll happily mock), but its rather nice having neighbors which are wealthier and smarter than you ... they tend to not make their problems yours.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:17 PM

23,566 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I was just playing along as, now that Wror’s obsession is past us, I can find it amusing.

Yeah, Easton is a perfectly fine town and having Borderland Park within is a great perk, as are the handful of serviceable restaurants/bars. I have no issues with Easton, I just don’t care much for the otherwise flat and dreary neighboring communities.

The contrast between the white working class Reagan Republicans and struggling minority communities next door is a vibe I don’t care much for. The thoroughly middle to upper middle class metrowest has its own problems (which I’ll happily mock), but its rather nice having neighbors which are wealthier and smarter than you ... they tend to not make their problems yours.

Eh, let's see...on one side you have Sharon and Mansfield, both along with Easton are leafy middle to upper-middle-class...on the other the Bridgewaters (very middle of the road with a tad of grit)...Brockton (diverse ghetto to working class) and Stoughton (diverse middle to working class). For a couple years I lived in one of those towns bordering Brockton, and don't recall anyone "making their problems mine". The only real bad thing that ever happened to me, was getting rear ended by a drunk driver from New Hampshire. The only thing "dreary" I can think of around there are parts of Brockton itself and I suppose the Rte. 18 corridor looks kind of tired, although I can think of stretches of metrowest that are no prettier.

On to Acton-Boxboro, hard to argue against a place that shows up near #1 in every genius ranking. Certainly won't go wrong as far as education is concerned, but...sharing personal experience I will say that some of the most sheltered individuals I've ever been in contact with come from that very area. And when you look at the map, that really comes as no surprise. Take a pencil/ruler and draw a 10 mile radius around. Find me one semblance of socioeconomic diversity there. I literally don't think you can get any further away. I suppose it's fine if your child is going to continue on living/working in a bubble (some absolutely do), but others will eventually have to negotiate the actual world. Even though Easton itself is fairly homogeneous, given the surrounding towns a kid growing up there is going to have exposure to various things that one from Acton or Boxboro will not. Sorry didn't mean to make this a thread about Easton (and I realize this theme has been beaten to death on the forum), but I do totally disagree on need to be surrounded by a sea of "sameness". An easier commute and a "+3" vs. "+2" school (if that's important to you), are both more valid considerations imo.

Old 01-15-2021, 06:55 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Acton has it's fair share of "low income" housing. Condos, apartments. Just due to the prices I have to assume there are people living there who are moderate to low income including families. But yeah it could be mostly people attracted to the schools and are just slumming it.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Farther out, there's Grafton.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Acton has it's fair share of "low income" housing. Condos, apartments. Just due to the prices I have to assume there are people living there who are moderate to low income including families. But yeah it could be mostly people attracted to the schools and are just slumming it.
Stuffed full of triple decker tenement buildings and the classrooms are loaded with ESL special needs children. Not.

A bizarre definition of “low income”.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Stuffed full of triple decker tenement buildings and the classrooms are loaded with ESL special needs children. Not.

Well he recently called Franklin the "'hood".

Old 01-16-2021, 05:24 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

That's why I used the quotes. They may not be low income but there's plenty of people living in low priced housing. Wasn't too long ago you could have gotten in for well under 200. There's that apartment complex in South Acton I looked at a long time ago that was shoddy looking and wouldn't look out of place in something like Ayer.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:33 AM

Quote:
That's why I used the quotes. They may not be low income but there's plenty of people living in low priced housing. Wasn't too long ago you could have gotten in for well under 200. There's that apartment complex in South Acton I looked at a long time ago that was shoddy looking and wouldn't look out of place in something like Ayer.
Even "under 200" takes a middle-class income to purchase. If they are renting them out via. Section 8 or some other type of assistance, then sure. I'd be surprised if Acton had very many of those.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:03 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
I knew a relatively low-income Cameroonian girl from Acton maybe she was originally from Lowell-I forget. I can attest to this. She was pretty articulate and clever, had friends in Lowell but went to school in Acton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts