Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:06 AM

16,907 posts, read 8,579,415 times

Advertisements

That's basically what I didn't get. A busy crowded city that is cold 6-7 months out of the year doesn't seem like the best place to retire for me. I think some of these people had kids/grandkids in the area and wanted a condo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 08:47 AM

21,806 posts, read 12,987,563 times
as with everything in MA domestic wealth/population moves southward and westward. International wealth/immigration comes in.

There are enough exceptions to that rule where people can conjure up their own anecdotes- but the pattern remains the same. Most of us don't know the new people moving in because they're not from here. I do think we get an influx of well-off people from NJ and CT though.

I don't think this is a particularly new phenomenon with FL and NH older wealthier MA residents do move there- thats for as long as Ive been alive. but its probably exacerbated by the pandemic but will fix itself in a short period of time.

Old 03-15-2022, 08:04 AM

2,442 posts, read 4,860,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff100 View Post
I have no idea why a busy and cold city would be ideal for an older, retired couple either! I wanted to ask why they didn't consider a move south!
Boston can be attractive to older retired people for some of the same reasons it attracts young people. It's full of things to do, is walkable, has various neighborhoods with strong sense of community. All kinds of performances from Symphony to community bands, lectures, art installations, shows, galleries and museums, theatre, restaurants, libraries, bookstores. Lots of public places-- you're not stuck at home with no place to go other than BJ's, Target and... Plenty of volunteering opportunities and the airport is close. If you can afford a place in town you access to all that without needing to drive or (probably) shovel snow.

Last edited by missionhill; 03-15-2022 at 08:55 AM..

Old 03-15-2022, 09:27 AM

875 posts, read 669,629 times
When we we were buying in back bay in 2008/09 the majority of our competition was retired/semi-retired empty nesters who were moving in from the 'burbs - different market then, but we had to up our offer to compete with these all cash buyers

Old 03-15-2022, 01:43 PM

531 posts, read 431,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well my cousin owns a 2 million dollar condo in the seaport and has a beautiful little farmhouse right near sugarbush. I guess he doesn't mind.

I love VT, particularly Stowe but the winter in vt is just too long for me.
As someone who grew up in the Boston area and went to college in VT, that is my dream right there! A beautiful condo in Boston and then a vacation place in VT. I am officially envious because you get the best of both worlds. Any chance he's single?! Kidding (I think...)!

Old 03-16-2022, 10:27 AM

7,942 posts, read 7,866,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Boston can be attractive to older retired people for some of the same reasons it attracts young people. It's full of things to do, is walkable, has various neighborhoods with strong sense of community. All kinds of performances from Symphony to community bands, lectures, art installations, shows, galleries and museums, theatre, restaurants, libraries, bookstores. Lots of public places-- you're not stuck at home with no place to go other than BJ's, Target and... Plenty of volunteering opportunities and the airport is close. If you can afford a place in town you access to all that without needing to drive or (probably) shovel snow.
Right....but do you have to live there to do that or could you just take a train, bus or drive in? It doesn't validate a retiree buying a house in boston with a fixed income.

It's nice to have things and that validates a high price but that doesn't mean someone has to live near it to enjoy it.

A long time ago I bought a used car and they treated you like you bought a luxury car. Oil changes for life and they'd wash it and vaccum and do everything...right. but sometimes all you needed was an oil change. Now when you showed up they HAD to do everything. So sometimes I paid out of pocket because my time was too important.

The rents are simply too high for retirees, you can just go to other cities that are much cheaper. I know of elderly people priced out that have left. It's not like it's Burlington VT where there's nothing for a few hours away.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:44 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,338,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Right....but do you have to live there to do that or could you just take a train, bus or drive in? It doesn't validate a retiree buying a house in boston with a fixed income.

It's nice to have things and that validates a high price but that doesn't mean someone has to live near it to enjoy it.

A long time ago I bought a used car and they treated you like you bought a luxury car. Oil changes for life and they'd wash it and vaccum and do everything...right. but sometimes all you needed was an oil change. Now when you showed up they HAD to do everything. So sometimes I paid out of pocket because my time was too important.

The rents are simply too high for retirees, you can just go to other cities that are much cheaper. I know of elderly people priced out that have left. It's not like it's Burlington VT where there's nothing for a few hours away.
Driving becomes an increasing risk/burden for the elderly, which is part of the urban/walkable appeal (some even eventually lose their license). You are right about time -- if someone loves attending a particular venue or activity frequently, being close to it is a big plus because it doesn't take long to get there. Walkable is an even bigger plus because then things like parking expenses go away. Buses and trains can work, but they aren't always fast, and never as direct/reliable as walking.

The retirees living near me love these aspects of being in the city. The walking also helps keep them active and healthy longer into life.

The rents are too high for some retirees, but not all. No reason for those who can to leave simply because there's cheaper places to live.

Old 03-16-2022, 03:42 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,866,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Driving becomes an increasing risk/burden for the elderly, which is part of the urban/walkable appeal (some even eventually lose their license). You are right about time -- if someone loves attending a particular venue or activity frequently, being close to it is a big plus because it doesn't take long to get there. Walkable is an even bigger plus because then things like parking expenses go away. Buses and trains can work, but they aren't always fast, and never as direct/reliable as walking.

The retirees living near me love these aspects of being in the city. The walking also helps keep them active and healthy longer into life.

The rents are too high for some retirees, but not all. No reason for those who can to leave simply because there's cheaper places to live.
Walkability obviously it's a huge plus but I think that your argument is more for organization rather than that of just pertaining to Boston. There are cheaper cities within the area that have much less in the way of stress and traffic. Boston could be fine if you have got very specific needs for healthcare and if you're looking to go to a major sporting event or if you're looking to fly to Asia. But after a while you don't really need to go there or at least on a repeated basis. When HD TVs came out their big screen it gave much more of a feeling it's sports bars that you are there rather than the old and log tiny screens. If you don't need specific Healthcare you can probably get what you need outside of Boston. If you've already finished your academic studies while again you can get that outside of Boston and increasingly Academia is moving more online. If you really want to see where the growth of retirees is probably based the Cape Cod. Talk to some life insurance companies and tell you where the new enrollments are

Old 03-16-2022, 04:50 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,116,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Walkability obviously it's a huge plus but I think that your argument is more for organization rather than that of just pertaining to Boston. There are cheaper cities within the area that have much less in the way of stress and traffic. Boston could be fine if you have got very specific needs for healthcare and if you're looking to go to a major sporting event or if you're looking to fly to Asia. But after a while you don't really need to go there or at least on a repeated basis. When HD TVs came out their big screen it gave much more of a feeling it's sports bars that you are there rather than the old and log tiny screens. If you don't need specific Healthcare you can probably get what you need outside of Boston. If you've already finished your academic studies while again you can get that outside of Boston and increasingly Academia is moving more online. If you really want to see where the growth of retirees is probably based the Cape Cod. Talk to some life insurance companies and tell you where the new enrollments are
Says who? A close friends parents have been docents at the Isabella Stewart for decades. Commuting in every weekend would be taxing. They can walk, or subway, to the theatre, museums, concerts, etc (also season ticket holders to the Sox since probably before I was born). That's something very desirable to many people.

My brother and SIL are trying to buy in Boston (and leave VT) now that the kids are in college and theyr'e approaching retirement (and can work remotely). It's not an uncommon thing at all.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:23 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,087,000 times
Those complaining about taxes have not been to Cook County or Westchester county…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts