Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:53 AM

7 posts, read 11,152 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We are considering locating to Reading, North Reading, and Andover from Melrose in the next two to four years. One of our concerns is lack of a variety of restaurants (beyond pizza shops and American cuisine). Can anyone speak to this. I feel that we might be driving back into the city to eat more but I do not know enough about that part of the Merrimack Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 09:00 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf781 View Post
Hello all,

We are considering locating to Reading, North Reading, and Andover from Melrose in the next two to four years. One of our concerns is lack of a variety of restaurants (beyond pizza shops and American cuisine). Can anyone speak to this. I feel that we might be driving back into the city to eat more but I do not know enough about that part of the Merrimack Valley.
In general, you will see the choices drop off outside the 128 belt. It's one of the reasons I wanted to stay within...easy access to the Cambridge/Somerville dining mecca.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:31 AM

550 posts, read 680,316 times
I live in North Andover we have Mexican, Argentine, Indian, and other Asian restaurants in town. Right next door in Lawrence you will find many Latin American restaurants and Methuen & Haverhill as well

Old 02-11-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
I live in North Andover we have Mexican, Argentine, Indian, and other Asian restaurants in town. Right next door in Lawrence you will find many Latin American restaurants and Methuen & Haverhill as well
Yes...didn't mean to imply the 495 belt is barren, but the density is much lower than inside 128/95. Westford/Chelmsford and especially Lowell, have a nice collection of restaurants.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:38 AM

604 posts, read 561,386 times
The Andover area has pretty good food. Some very good restaurants (Fine American, gastropub, oyster bar, contemporary american, mexican, etc) right in Andover Center. Couple great steak houses Lawrence next door has of course amazing latin food. There's at least one good Sushi and Chinese place within 10 minutes, and a few Indian joints. No lack of Italian food in the Merrimack Valley either.

Based on my experience living in the area 20 years ago and returning often, the trend is in the right direction for food. The classic places tend to be more American in nature (The Loft, Palmers, places like that) but the newer chains that come in are good (Burton's, Chateau, etc) and some interesting smaller places have opened up (15SX for instance)

What I'm trying to say is that it isn't Applebees Country.

Most importantly, Harrison's Roast Beef is in North Andover. Best North Shore Roast Beef, fight me on that. And right next to that is the 99 where you can get your Gold Fever fix.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:27 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,425,935 times
A lot of restaurants could open or fail in the next 2-4 years. What kind of cuisine are you looking for? It's not like Reading, North Reading or Andover are that much more in the boondocks than Melrose!

Old 02-11-2021, 03:20 PM

7 posts, read 11,152 times
First, I cannot predict what will happen to restaurants as a result of covid, I am trying to obtain an overall picture. From Melrose, I (pre-covid) would frequent Assembly Row, Lynnfield Marketplace and go to Malden for Asian cuisine. Doing an overall search some of those cities seem to have a more limited food selection which may become stale over time. I think Melrose has an ok food scene, nothing great. I find Wakefield rather lacking.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf781 View Post
First, I cannot predict what will happen to restaurants as a result of covid, I am trying to obtain an overall picture. From Melrose, I (pre-covid) would frequent Assembly Row, Lynnfield Marketplace and go to Malden for Asian cuisine. Doing an overall search some of those cities seem to have a more limited food selection which may become stale over time. I think Melrose has an ok food scene, nothing great. I find Wakefield rather lacking.
Well, Reading/North Reading to Lynnfield Marketplace ain't that far! Arguably closer than you would be in Melrose...

Old 02-12-2021, 08:56 AM

604 posts, read 561,386 times
If the boujey chains of Assembly are your "diverse food options" then you'll be perfectly fine in the Andovers, believe me.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:37 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal1181 View Post
Best answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts