Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 06:32 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,967,701 times

Advertisements

I hope I didn’t make a huge mistake .. I rented an Airbnb for June in Manchester by the Sea . The house is a 30 second walk to the water but after booking my husband pointed out has no a/c.. I didn’t even think to look for that as it’s standard here and it’s not even a question of IF it has it. Every house does.. is June typically blazing hot there? The home is large and there will be 7 people in it. Do homes typically stay cooler there? I’m worried it’s going to be too much and everyone’s gonna flip out of the home gets warm without being able to cool it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 06:42 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
June is usually cooler than the rest of the summer, and you're nice and close to the water and breezes. The only time I think you'd regret no a/c is if there is a heat wave (over 90) and very humid. The water will still be cold, as the North Shore always is! Are you near Singing Beach? It's just beautiful. You'll have a fine time.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:50 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,967,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
June is usually cooler than the rest of the summer, and you're nice and close to the water and breezes. The only time I think you'd regret no a/c is if there is a heat wave (over 90) and very humid. The water will still be cold, as the North Shore always is! Are you near Singing Beach? It's just beautiful. You'll have a fine time.
We are staying in Old Magnolia .. maybe that’s part of Gloucester? I’m not sure the dividing line on where some areas start and stop. We live in the south so our house is always like 65 in summer and with 7 people in the house up there for a week we can only relate to southern summer and thinking how bad that would be here... brutal in June!

Old 02-28-2021, 06:55 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,293,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
We are staying in Old Magnolia .. maybe that’s part of Gloucester? I’m not sure the dividing line on where some areas start and stop. We live in the south so our house is always like 65 in summer and with 7 people in the house up there for a week we can only relate to southern summer and thinking how bad that would be here... brutal in June!
Yes, Magnolia is a village of Gloucester, it’s right over the line from Manchester by the Sea.

You won’t need AC in June.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes, Magnolia is a village of Gloucester, it’s right over the line from Manchester by the Sea.

You won’t need AC in June.
I have plenty of childhood memories of sweltering in a classroom less than a mile from salt water in June. Looking at NWS data, Logan Airport had 92F last June 20th. It doesn’t happen every year but you can have a few 90F+ days in June. If there’s no breeze coming in off the ocean, it can get pretty warm. The odds are against it, though.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:26 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Typically it’s not hot in June, but heat waves happen. It’s possible to have a few hot/humid days, but not typical.

Fortunately in June, you can usually get some nighttime relief from the heat. Not so much in late July and Aug. That's when the heat/humidity can become oppressive depending on the wind direction.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-01-2021 at 07:12 AM..

Old 03-01-2021, 06:30 AM

12,493 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have plenty of childhood memories of sweltering in a classroom less than a mile from salt water in June. Looking at NWS data, Logan Airport had 92F last June 20th. It doesn’t happen every year but you can have a few 90F+ days in June. If there’s no breeze coming in off the ocean, it can get pretty warm. The odds are against it, though.
Yep, what he said. I live a little further up the Mass coast, and sure, you can get 90 degree days in June - but those aren't typical days, more like 70-80 degrees would be typical. I wouldn't be concerned. It might be a little warm, but you're unlikely to be sweltering like you might be in the Outer Banks, NC or Savannah, GA.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:50 AM

918 posts, read 564,818 times
You may have some heat, but in June, the inshore water temperatures in that part of the Gulf of Maine are still in the 50s (might crack 60 by the end of the month), and southerly winds will be coming off that water, so you may also need to put the heating on - Boston doesn't get relief from southerly winds in the summer because that's a land breeze for Boston, but for Cape Ann, Cape Cod and the South Coast, they are a cooling breeze in spring and summer until September. You will have humidity (fog) - it's an oceanic climate there; that't the area most likely to get what we call "back door cold fronts" coming from the east over the Gulf of Maine. A lovely area. The sun angle is also probably somewhat less fierce than where you come from.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:12 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,804,532 times
Nothing more to add except bring a fan. The odds are in your favor I think. It will be hot but probably not oppressive (probably).

Old 03-01-2021, 08:59 AM

1,362 posts, read 875,589 times
Nothing to spend any time stressing about. That's a great spot. Singing Beach has been mentioned, but also check out Coolidge Reservation, Ravenswood, Stage Fort Park, Halibut Point, Rockport, Essex, etc. I'm envious of your trip, and I live here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts