Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 09:28 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times

Advertisements

Just a note to the OP, in Northern New England (probably less in MA), public access to private land is a BIG deal. Taking large acreage that was open to hunting for generations and posting it will not go over well, just a FYI. Totally in your rights to do it, but don't get surprised if your neighbors are not stopping by or welcoming you with open arms.

This is also not a left/right issue as you are making it out to be. My town in VT voted 80% for Biden but has been dealing with a large tract of land recently being posted. It's more your upending traditions that have been in place well before you moved to your land/town. Though parts of New England are politically liberal, New England is one of the most traditional places in the country, especially Maine, NH, and VT. Places look like they are from the 1700s for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 09:32 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Wild animals who fall to the gun in the end, still have a far better life than factory-farmed animals who get herded into the slaughterhouse.

I agree with this statement. Of the two choices, it's my opinion that a wild animal roaming free who is then humanely brought down for the purpose of sustenance is a much better life spent than being a factory-farmed animal.

Most hunters i know are genuinely concerned with the "humanely" brought down aspect of that statement, and will lash out at other hunters for what amounts to being an inhumane kill. The goal is to bring down the animal as quickly as possible with least amount of suffering. In a previous post i mentioned copper rifle bullets being an alternative to lead bullets. But even copper rounds have some controversy as there is an argument that they are not as humane to the animal as a lead round due to differences in ballistics.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-02-2021 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-02-2021, 09:49 AM

82 posts, read 77,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Just a note to the OP, in Northern New England (probably less in MA), public access to private land is a BIG deal. Taking large acreage that was open to hunting for generations and posting it will not go over well, just a FYI. Totally in your rights to do it, but don't get surprised if your neighbors are not stopping by or welcoming you with open arms.

This is also not a left/right issue as you are making it out to be. My town in VT voted 80% for Biden but has been dealing with a large tract of land recently being posted. It's more your upending traditions that have been in place well before you moved to your land/town. Though parts of New England are politically liberal, New England is one of the most traditional places in the country, especially Maine, NH, and VT. Places look like they are from the 1700s for a reason.
Thank you, good to know. I am really starting to grasp all this and understand it is not necessarily a red vs blue thing. This is why we are leaning more toward MA and it has nothing to do with the intimidation tactics of those in the northern NE states. There is also the option of staying in NJ, but we both feel that life is too short to stay in one place. We love to ramble and experience new places. And as much as we do love our state, staying put is not the dream.

NewfieMama, the sanctuary sounds AWESOME! Can we be your new neighbors?

Gerania, great advice about mapping out shooting ranges, thanks! Also slaughterhouses. A while back I was looking at a seemingly-perfect property somewhere in NH and found a small-scale slaughterhouse directly behind it on google maps! That made me realize that, being how we are, we have to be super vigilant about what we actually buy.

OutdoorLover, I agree that it would be great if we could find property that abuts land that prohibits hunting. Thanks!

in_newengland, we would absolutely love to more to England. My husband's job even has a location there. But we don't fly and that would make it very difficult to visit family back home. Speaking of England, did you know you cannot actually own land there, and that all land is technically owned by the queen? I just learned that recently. But it sounds like such an amazing place to live otherwise.

msrb311, trophy hunting is abhorrent. I'm with you all the way on your sentiments regarding human dominance over animals.

Thanks to everyone who recognize that I am not here (or in NH forum) to troll! I don't have the energy or desire to start trouble just to argue with people!

Old 06-02-2021, 09:52 AM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I also don't think being a republican means you enjoy guns and hunting. My dad is a staunch republican but has never hunted or owned a gun.

Old 06-02-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I also don't think being a republican means you enjoy guns and hunting. My dad is a staunch republican but has never hunted or owned a gun.
Good point. It is unfair to stereotype people that way. The ugly political climate has caused too many of us to draw lines in the sand, myself included. I didn't mean to assume that all Reps own guns and hunt. Nor is it safe to assume that all Dems are tree hugging antifa supporters. It is high time we find our common ground and learn to coexist better.

Last edited by Tupaloop; 06-02-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-02-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
New England is one of the most traditional places in the country, especially Maine, NH, and VT. Places look like they are from the 1700s for a reason.
Would you say that MA is traditional, too, if not to a lesser degree? Is it really the liberal haven that it's made out to be? Or is MA completely its own thing?

Old 06-02-2021, 10:17 AM

16,411 posts, read 8,198,277 times
My ex is a libertarian and he is always posting pictures of the animals he owns and kills to eat in VT. He thinks his way of life is better than everyone else's and that he is living off the land, using resources, etc. I recall his grandad (who was a very nice guy) did shoot and kill animals from NY to Africa and would hang them all over his house. It was weird.

Old 06-02-2021, 10:53 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,342,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaloop View Post
Is it really the liberal haven that it's made out to be?
It depends what you mean by that and it depends on where in the state you are talking about.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:20 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:

This is an important point when considering raw land in areas of low-density rural New England (i.e., VT/NH/ME). There might be parts of MA like this in the Pioneer Valley areas, but I haven't encountered it. I hike western Worcester county and posted land is super common, whether private owners or commercial enterprise (e.g., utilities).

My wife's family has some long time Vermonters who hunt, hike, fish, etc. and they absolutely loath when transplants move in and post land. As you suggest, it's a move which assures you'll always be an outsider in your localized area.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 06-02-2021 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-02-2021, 11:35 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But i don't see how non-availability is not an excuse? What about education? What about income? If you a family living in a rural area that hunts to sustain their family and are on a limited budget, do you really think they are going to go out of their way to seek out a harder-to-find, more expensive ammunition when they probably don't even realize the dangers they are exposing their family to using widely available, cheap soft-core lead hunting rounds?
I have known many families who hunt to sustain a family and almost all of them make their own ammunition using materials they feel are most humane. The issue with using a material like aluminum is that it's more likely to injure the animal than to kill it and nobody wants that. Hunters want as clean of a kill as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts