Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 11:42 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyMom05 View Post
Thanks for all the honest feedback. We received several pool quote and all in cost (including deck, electrical, fencing, and basic landscape) put us close to $125k-$150k. So, we are passing on getting a pool! I feel this is mainly due to the sudden demand from the past year. Anyways, we are looking at getting a hot tub and calling it a day.
Smart people. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 02:26 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
125-150k :O

I remember when I lived in Canton my neighbors put in a huge pool.. it was like 45k. But that was like 2011.. practically the equivalent of black/white tv days of Real Estate.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 29,216 times
For 125-150k I am assuming you are being quoted for a large gunite pool with all the bells and whistles (spa, heaters, hardscape, etc.). I have a small yard and have received multiple quotes in the 35-50k range for a small fiberglass or precast concrete pool approximately 12'x24' in size. It all depends on what you're looking for. My wife and I are really looking for something to lounge in and drink after a long day at work or at the beach. i find this a much easier pill to swallow and believe it would increase our quality of life.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:28 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotfood540 View Post
For 125-150k I am assuming you are being quoted for a large gunite pool with all the bells and whistles (spa, heaters, hardscape, etc.). I have a small yard and have received multiple quotes in the 35-50k range for a small fiberglass or precast concrete pool approximately 12'x24' in size. It all depends on what you're looking for. My wife and I are really looking for something to lounge in and drink after a long day at work or at the beach. i find this a much easier pill to swallow and believe it would increase our quality of life.

We've been considering a plunge pool. Care to share anything you've learned in research? We are wanting something we would use after we come up from the beach and to make our home more appealing should we at some point decide to rent it out.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:54 PM

16 posts, read 29,216 times
Sure. The main plunge pool installers are Soake Pools (New Hampshire) and Easton Pool & Spa. Soake Pools is more expensive (>$50k) with a max pool size of just 7'x13'. Easton Pools quoted $37k for a 9'x21' precast plunge pool with equipment installed, mind you this does NOT include any hardscape. For fiberglass pools which offer a little more variety, look into Pioneer Valley Pools and Cherry Hill Pools & Spa. This gets you into the $40-50k range installed. Also, my sister is having a 16'x32' inground vinyl pool installed by Dynasty Pools for $38k. Remember to ALWAYS shop around, no matter what it is. With the low rates and COVID, the installers are bending people over left and right. I may wait a couple years when they are desperate for work and head to my sisters in the meantime.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:34 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyMom05 View Post
Thanks for all the honest feedback. We received several pool quote and all in cost (including deck, electrical, fencing, and basic landscape) put us close to $125k-$150k. So, we are passing on getting a pool! I feel this is mainly due to the sudden demand from the past year. Anyways, we are looking at getting a hot tub and calling it a day.
I know they use to be ugly as hell but some of the new above ground pools and Decks are very nice . Daughter just did one at her house and it's great .Thing is when the kids are older or they want to sell it comes down and they put in some sod. Very much like this.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:49 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This would make your neighbors pool heating costs an (extreme) outlier. The pool must be in full sun with use of a solar cover.

Sorry, i misquoted it.

Extra $100/month to the natural gas bill during July and Aug. It is in full sun pretty much all day with a cover.

He doesn't tend to open it until mid-June when its warm already, but not sure how that $ amount changes as we get into Sept when the nights get cooler. I think he tends to shut down the heater by then and close the pool up shortly after.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-30-2021 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-31-2021, 05:32 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-metrowest View Post
Very cool photos. I'd add, for the swimming part, even in a small pool, there are "Endless Pools" water jets that can provide for that.
There’s a company in Fall River called SwimEX that has its roots in now-defunct Pearson Yachts that makes fiberglass plunge pools and “endless” swim pools using a fiberglass paddle wheel technology. They’re built just like a boat with a balsa core. There are lots of vintage Pearson yachts in my harbor. They last forever. A classmate of mine sailed one around the world.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:53 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber4 View Post
We've been considering a plunge pool. Care to share anything you've learned in research? We are wanting something we would use after we come up from the beach and to make our home more appealing should we at some point decide to rent it out.
Be aware that if you rent out a house with a pool you will need to increase your liability insurance mightily.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:42 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I know they use to be ugly as hell but some of the new above ground pools and Decks are very nice . Daughter just did one at her house and it's great .Thing is when the kids are older or they want to sell it comes down and they put in some sod. Very much like this.

That's really nice. I feel like it would be better suited - or at least last longer - in warmer climates than New England, where it might take a royal beating each winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts