Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 01:14 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
People who live in Acton might be driving to Burlington or Waltham and not say Alewife or beyond but they aint going to Marlborough.

Or they could be riding a bicycle to Nagog Park. I've never totaled it up but there must be several million square feet of office space and light industrial space there. Lots of startups incubate there. They can't get funding to live in $100/sf space in Kendall Square.

There's more office space in the suburbs than in Boston/Cambridge. I cited the numbers a bit up-thread. In the recent headlines, Pfizer has a 70 acre campus in Andover. The EMC stuff that spun out of a Data General storage project years ago is all out on 495. I haven't looked recently but that was the largest tech employer in the state the last time I checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 7,053 times
Default North Shore

The Manchester-Essex area has a great school system but the surrounding towns may be out of your price range.

Old 08-19-2021, 01:49 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
From researching living in Acton, I can tell you that pre-pandemic Route 2 in Concord was one of the busiest roads in the entire state during rush hour. The rotary was pretty much a disaster.

Rte. 2 is far lower capacity than most of the other highways, especially with the rotary even the slightest amount of traffic will cause backups. Without seeing the official traffic counts, I call BS that it's "one of the busiest roads in the entire state" (volume wise).

Old 08-19-2021, 02:04 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There's more office space in the suburbs than in Boston/Cambridge. I cited the numbers a bit up-thread. In the recent headlines, Pfizer has a 70 acre campus in Andover. The EMC stuff that spun out of a Data General storage project years ago is all out on 495. I haven't looked recently but that was the largest tech employer in the state the last time I checked.
And speaking of Marlborough. Intel has a big campus in town, SanDisk has a big office right off 290. Then head up to Littleton and see the big IBM campus.

It's too bad AstraZeneca moved out of Westborough though. Amazon Robotics bought the big building with the pyramid. And actually it's really close to the Westborough station - but Otis doesn't have sidewalks or anything.

Anyway, there are a lot of people who work in high paying jobs along 495.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Rte. 2 is far lower capacity than most of the other highways, especially with the rotary even the slightest amount of traffic will cause backups. Without seeing the official traffic counts, I call BS that it's "one of the busiest roads in the entire state" (volume wise).
There are also a bunch of traffic lights between the rotary and Boston that make things worse. The congestion is pretty much always closely related to an intersection in my experience.
In front of the prison the median is just a line and the lanes are not very wide. It would be nice to have it upgraded to proper highway at least to the 95 intersection.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
And speaking of Marlborough. Intel has a big campus in town, SanDisk has a big office right off 290. Then head up to Littleton and see the big IBM campus.
Intel dumped the fab. They were still doing some R&D but I think that's soon coming to a close. Intel doesn't really offer RSUs, and I doubt IBM does either. As for IBM, I doubt they use the former Digital HQ much now.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:32 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
The talent they want lives in the city.

Like Microsoft does have an office in Burlington but I imagine it's a legacy from an earlier acquisition. There are MBTA buses which go by where their office is. Would that be enough for them?
MSFT does have the office on Wayside Dr. Their space in that building came along with their acquisition of Nokia's handset business. It's now a sales office from what I understand. They also have an office in Acton due to their acquisition of Affirmed Networks.

And yes, there is plenty of office space in the 'burbs. IMHO, must of the office space in Boston that is being vacated will be converted to lab space over the next few years.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:53 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This. MA has a short sloppy spring. Spring is more of a thing down in MD/VA Winter is more pronounced in MA. Its a trade-off. Also, I wouldn't call the snowfall in Central MA moderate, I would consider it to be high.

Other than that Central MA is a good for what you want
snowfall in North Central Ma in the 70 to 85 inch range sometimes 110

Old 08-20-2021, 12:38 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
snowfall in North Central Ma in the 70 to 85 inch range sometimes 110
Isn't Worcester like a Top 5 city in the US for snowfall?

Old 08-20-2021, 01:07 PM

915 posts, read 563,187 times
It's not even in the top 10 by rolling 30 year annual averages. But in a given year, it could be in the top 10, if lake effect and mountain snow elsewhere is below average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts