Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 05:42 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,128,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Why?

Although you might be able to make a phone call and drive you certainly can't text and drive. It makes it much easier to do things like read and eat and have a bit of the conversation prepare for work rather than having your eyes consistently viewing what's in front of you driving. Commuting time is lost time
I don't get this at all either. you get on sit down. read the paper. You're there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 06:39 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I don't get this at all either. you get on sit down. read the paper. You're there.
Then you also have to find parking in Boston which isn't shape especially during the day. At some point you really have to ask yourself if you don't have to drive why bother Drive? I just had a vacation down South for a few days and I just use the Uber. Why would I want to drive a car if I'm on vacation?

What the major concerns I see with any employer that's looking to reopen is that if everybody's told to come in in the same couple of weeks it's going to lead to a massive traffic backup and people are just going to want to work from home. How can we go from work from home to being behind a wheel for at least an half hour a day each way?

https://www.geotab.com/time-to-commute/

We can't have employers act as if everything needs to be answered and replied 24/7 and then put us in an environment by which were spending significant amount of time money and energy not being able to accommodate that. So if they really want people to come back to an office for 40 or more hours in the office they're going to have to lay off on the emails after and before work hours. If I was ever in a car accident and found out the person responsible was talking or texting on their phone because their employer wanted them to respond immediately I would sue that employer.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:39 AM

84 posts, read 77,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
There are also extra people that take weekend trips.
Right. There are people going north to NH, south to the Cape or NYC, and west to the Berkshires or upstate NY. Even when I reverse commuted from Andover to Boston, driving home Friday after work I would see tons of NH plates going south on 93 and it was the worst night if the week for traffic, despite being the lightest morning.

Last edited by Highlander617; 08-25-2021 at 07:50 AM..

Old 08-25-2021, 07:41 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,324,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
We can't have employers act as if everything needs to be answered and replied 24/7 and then put us in an environment by which were spending significant amount of time money and energy not being able to accommodate that. So if they really want people to come back to an office for 40 or more hours in the office they're going to have to lay off on the emails after and before work hours. If I was ever in a car accident and found out the person responsible was talking or texting on their phone because their employer wanted them to respond immediately I would sue that employer.
Good luck with all of that.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:46 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post

Some people just don't want to take public transport?

I'd rather sit in traffic in my car than sit on the T. Nothing against it, but it's just not for me. I also don't do uber/taxi. I'd rather drive my own car.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:32 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,128,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I'd rather sit in traffic in my car than sit on the T. Nothing against it, but it's just not for me. I also don't do uber/taxi. I'd rather drive my own car.
I get it. But that mindset does create a culture of way more traffic. There are so many people I know that drive to places that are easily accessed by the T. I guy I know drives from forest Hills to Back bay thats like a 12 min haul on the orange line. and there's many more like him. so here we are.

Old 08-25-2021, 01:14 PM

2,354 posts, read 1,786,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Driving in Boston is so bad though.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:01 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,036,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
and then you have to park.... you can ride the T all week for the price of 2 hours of parking at the Boston Common Garage.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:37 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
It is, there is no arguing that. I guess it all depends on what battles one prefers to face. I got my disdain for public transport after 4 years of riding the green line while in college. I got to take the T home from the Fenway area on Friday afternoon standing up, crushed inside an overloaded car trying to figure out how i'll make my way to the door for the next stop in time. No thank you. I'll take the stress of driving and finding parking over that anyday. My final year on campus i kept a car with me, and as much of a PITA as it was, it was nice to just hop in my car and drive home vs battle it out on the Green Line.

For the most part, i don't travel into Boston much during the workweek anyway, save for an occasional trip to the dr. Even then, there is parking and I don't mind the $10 or so it costs considering i have a kid in tow usually.

Different strokes for different folks i guess. What drives my wife absolutely ape**** is the fact that I won't do Uber/Lyft. Nope, i'll drive. If that means i can't drink...fine by me.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:32 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
OP does not want to take the T...so what, leave it alone.

OP, Friday traffic is usually lighter than other days but I agree with leaving at 7:30 to give yourself time and not stress. You will likely be a bit early so just piddle around (coffee, brose social media, read the news, etc.) for a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts