Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 08:40 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,539,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

I rarely see minivans these days.

They are out there. Pretty much every single one of my wife's mom-friend's drives one. It's like a minivan convention when they show up for a play-date in the summer.

They are pretty damn practical I won't argue that, and some of the new, higher-end trims are pretty luxurious and offer a lot of tech. They can also be expensive as hell.

Wife and I bought a 3-row SUV for her to drive. It's been fine. The roof rack is great for strapping Kayak's and a Thule storage box on top for road trips, and it does great in the snow. There are a couple of areas where having a minivan might be more practical (like opening doors in parking spaces), but it generally hasn't been an issue. I prefer driving the SUV if i'll be honest.

But for me, a truck is still more practical than dealing with some of the limitations on carrying cargo in a SUV/Minivan. We all have individual needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 09:18 AM

12,888 posts, read 22,063,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm in the market for a truck. As much as i'd like to think high gas prices would affect the market for one, it hasn't. Used trucks still cost as much as new trucks which I think is ridiculous. Just going to wait it out a bit longer....
It's an awful time to buy a truck. A few friends with used trucks (the last few model years) have seen their vehicles appreciate significantly. It's true of all cars, but trucks in particular are on a different level.

Quote:

They're definitely not as popular as they were a few decades ago. But the line between van/crossover/suv is so blurred that it's hard to tell in some cases. Our friend bought a Kia Carnival and it didn't even click with me that it was a "van" until I saw the rear door open. And at first glance, anyone could be forgiven for confusing a Sienna for a Highlander.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:21 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,539,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's an awful time to buy a truck. A few friends with used trucks (the last few model years) have seen their vehicles appreciate significantly. It's true of all cars, but trucks in particular are on a different level.
I know, I'll keep putting around in my paid off sedan for the time being. I'm actually a cheap SOB when it comes to buying cars. I kept my last one until it literally fell apart at over 200K miles.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,599 posts, read 81,279,384 times
If it makes you feel any better, here in the Seattle area there are many stations over $4, such as $4.41 at the Shell a mile from us, and $4.53 at the 76. We do still have the option of Costco at $3.95, where I fill the 36 gallon tank in my 5.0 V8 truck.

I agree with lrfox, hold off on buying a truck for now.

My 2017 F150 had a sticker of $46,800 and I paid only $36,000 for it back then, now the same truck in a 2021 is up to $53,000 and I doubt any deals are being made. KBB shows mine at $33,098 trade-in, and retail value $37,825, more than I paid for it new.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:37 AM

779 posts, read 879,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I know, I'll keep putting around in my paid off sedan for the time being. I'm actually a cheap SOB when it comes to buying cars. I kept my last one until it literally fell apart at over 200K miles.
We have always paid cash for our (used) vehicles and driven them into the ground. Our 2008 Jeep has close to 200K miles and we will need to replace it soon. I just do not want to buy a vehicle right now with the inflated prices.

When we buy a car, we are strictly looking at what our family needs. I rarely even look at the gas mileage--for some reason whether gas is $2 or $4 doesn't make a big difference in our decision. I'm just looking for something to get me from point A to point B and gives me the interior space I need for all the things I'm carting around.

My mom friends generally don't have minivans, but almost all of my dog training/dog handling friends do. You can easily fit multiple crates in the back of a minivan, it's a low clearance for the dogs, which is better for joints, they aren't very expensive, get good gas mileage and they are comfortable to drive since we are all usually travelling all over the nation to dog shows and working dog trials. I rented a minivan for about 3 months and while it was comfortable, it was terrible in the snow and I much prefer my SUV. I'm willing to forego any gas mileage gains to drive something I like.

Old 11-09-2021, 12:13 PM

918 posts, read 565,477 times
Nantucket and the Vineyard are not representative of mainland MA gas prices, any more than the Mobil at E Berkeley Street and the Southeast Expressway is indicative of gas prices in the Greater Boston area, where $3.30 is pretty easy to find.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:37 PM

9,889 posts, read 7,230,972 times
Quote:
You can fit much more in the bed of a truck than you can in the back of a minivan.

Yes you can fit more in the back of a pickup but a minivan will carry your stuff in a nice, dry, secure compartment.

Our Odyssey was the most versatile vehicle we owned - camping, hiking, vacations, beach, sports, lumber, appliances, plywood, power equipment, 600 sq. ft. of hardwood floor, etc. That van handled it all.

As for $4 gas - those prices are on the islands. It costs extra to barge gasoline to the islands. There is a Mobil station on Rt. 129 in Wilmington, MA that is very expensive as it's right off of 93. The current price is $4.10. A mile down the road at the Shell, it's $3.40.

Old 11-09-2021, 06:41 PM

23,654 posts, read 18,773,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Yes you can fit more in the back of a pickup but a minivan will carry your stuff in a nice, dry, secure compartment.

Our Odyssey was the most versatile vehicle we owned - camping, hiking, vacations, beach, sports, lumber, appliances, plywood, power equipment, 600 sq. ft. of hardwood floor, etc. That van handled it all.

As for $4 gas - those prices are on the islands. It costs extra to barge gasoline to the islands. There is a Mobil station on Rt. 129 in Wilmington, MA that is very expensive as it's right off of 93. The current price is $4.10. A mile down the road at the Shell, it's $3.40.

So funny how Mass. works like that. In Maine, typically every place in town (save for BJ's, etc.) will run within a few cents of each other.

Old 11-10-2021, 04:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,294,526 times
With GasBuddy on my phone, I just buy fuel at the cheapest place along my route. It’s a 30 cent+ per gallon variation here.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:35 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,906,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s a 30 cent+ per gallon variation here.
Without leaving Worcester, there's a 0.27 spread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts