Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 08:41 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,434,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
How do you know that's why it failed?
Came straight from the service rep at the dealership. They’re always right. LOL

I experienced the Bosch coil pack debacle in ~ 2002. There were parts shortages for months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 09:47 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,178,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
How do you know that's why it failed?
Dealership quoted me $2k and said I had a crack in my engine block... So I immediately told them to get my car out of there and brought it to my mechanic. He told me I needed ignition coil 2, and asked me if i was putting lower octane. I said no. He then said that bad gas can also cause it.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:52 AM

15,850 posts, read 20,692,404 times
Coils tend to fail from heat. Usually anything that forces the coil to produce peak voltage for an extended period of time will do it in. Usually it's from stretching your spark plug change out a bit too long. Could poor gas do it? I could see it.

Also, a dealership misdiagnosed a failed coil as a cracked block? Wow.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:04 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,178,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Also, a dealership misdiagnosed a failed coil as a cracked block? Wow.
Please, I've had a dealership quoter me $295 to replace my headlight bulb - They claimed it was Xenon. I told them... Did you even look at the car? it was a standard halogen.
Right to repair baby

Old 11-16-2021, 12:09 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,360,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Please, I've had a dealership quoter me $295 to replace my headlight bulb - They claimed it was Xenon. I told them... Did you even look at the car? it was a standard halogen.
Right to repair baby
My wife was rear-ended years ago. The rear axle was cracked, the dealer said it had to be replaced to my wife did and was charged accordingly.
Fast forward a couple of years, She moves and goes to a new dealer. Brings the car in for maintenance and she is told "you really should replace the rear axle, I understand it is expensive but the fix you currently have is really not safe".
So yeah, the previous dealer charged her for replacing the axle and then did a quick, unsafe fix and sent her on her merry way.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:14 PM

15,850 posts, read 20,692,404 times
I could tell some stories as well.

Car before current when it was still under warranty. Had a brake issue that ultimately required replacing a caliper. Rather than deal with it myself I made an appt and figured i'd let the dealer handle it under warranty and I get to drive a new loaner for the day. I even made their job easy and narrowed down what it could be based on a quick scouting mission I had done.

Call back at end of day. "Car is all set, we didn't find anything wrong. Everything is normal"

I pick up my car and don't buy it, so that Sat i pull the brakes apart, find the problem, pick up a reman caliper, and the car is as good as new by the end of the day. Brakes are night and day difference.

Dealer calls back on Mon or Tue "Hi, we see you had your vehicle in for service last week and want to make sure you are satisfied with the service you received".

I told them how i felt. Last time I ever took a car to a dealer

Old 11-16-2021, 12:25 PM

23,872 posts, read 19,042,699 times
I had mine in a dealer for some routine service, and they told me I needed new brakes in the rear. After I said "that's funny, because those brakes only have around 15K on them...", "um, let me go clarify that with the technician" and when the guy came back out "maybe you got another 10K left on those..." (I smiled and asked for my keys back). I got another 150K off those brakes.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:57 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,756,493 times
Still in the mid $3.50 range in the Berkshires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts