Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 10:16 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
With updated information on no car, that removes Hartford from the list. The public transportation network there is very limited compared to Boston. I used it quite a bit when we lived in West Hartford. It’s designed to get people downtown to the office towers and there’s nothing in downtown Hartford.

Philly would be my more affordable pick to be without a car.
They could always get a car.

Also.. who wants to live near Philly? Sure its a city, a big one. But nobody particular enjoys living there. Maybe a good investment though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 10:40 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaldson View Post
I'm not expecting myself to thrive, but to make do and the most of it whereever and whenever I can. Plus, last time I checked, Boston/MA has more Irish than Italians.
Still there a lot of Italians around Boston. More in CT. Not a good attitude to have.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:47 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Just got off the phone with my mother. Apparently, she is looking into the Boston, Northbridge, Cambridge area on Zillow, since that seems to be her priority atm.
Boston has the North End, a large Italian neighborhood in the middle of the city. Cambridge has a neighborhood where streets are striped red, white and green. Stay away...far away.

Old 12-06-2021, 10:51 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Right, but that may have been different for during your time.

For me, it felt like the reverse happened:

Went to community college but dropped out. Worked at parents business but was laid off.
Parents lose their jobs as I went through with community college.
Graduated with A.A.S. but worked through covid and grace period. Banked some $ but unemployment and post-work fatigue just ate it up.
Still having to wait through the graduation in order to figure out the move, hence why I'm posting here.

I subscribed to The Market Ear as I figured it's the only newsletter that doesn't give me the most B.S. I know of Robin hood and E-Trade, but I don't know of any useful stocks to invest in. One guy told me to invest in Tesla and Work Horse or something idk.

Herkimer went through a flood in 2019 during my last semester. The National Guard had to get involved. The Diamond house also went through a fire prior to then from what I've heard.

Even then, I've already made that clear about the housing/dorming situation. The main issue is just going back to school, earning my degree, working through it, and being done with it finally. Even then, I still wouldn't know what to do with my life. I have no friends, no gf (hell, I even went to an all-boys HS so that made things even worse off), but I'm not worried about it, nor am I desperate, as I tend to look after myself, but it is getting hard having to literally figure everything out by yourself cause my mother isn't the one having to do all this. I'm more worried, however, about the competence of my own generation, which, as you already know, is getting worse off due to the inclusiveness of our society and the seclusion/isolation of how everyone would prefer to work at home. I have looked into places like Colorado, Scotland, etc. Places that have more grit to them since CO and MA are similar in the tax range yet CO has more interesting mountainous regions, especially for hunting and sharpshooting. Scotland is also a bit better when it comes to people when compared to England or Ireland, though that's more of if I want to travel, not make a habit of going there, as that would be too expensive.

My mother has been keen on moving to Boston, but again, there's really not much to say besides working and going to school. Meeting new people is important but that's more up to where I would move to and how I would figure myself out from there. I just need a place that's liquid and unfortunately, Westchester is drying up.

I'm already sick of NY. Sick of all the people here. So fat, lazy, and boring. Sick of Italians.
While i feel Italians in general fall more on the “trump” side of things and more likey to drop the N word.. this is still no attitude to have. You are defending yourself thinking that people in MA will like you if you call whole groups of people fat, lazy and stupid? Are you serious?

Boston is very Italian. I suggest you change your attitude.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
I used to live in Pittsburgh, PA for a short period of time.
Their Craigslist board was full of words like "micks" and "wops"... something Boston does not have.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:19 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Also.. who wants to live near Philly? Sure its a city, a big one. But nobody particular enjoys living there. Maybe a good investment though.

My first job out of college was in Danbury CT at a facility that was mostly a FAX company bought by Burroughs. After 20 months, my small development group doing office automation systems got transferred to the Philly 'burbs. I declined and moved to metro Boston. My mom is Pennsylvania Dutch. My mom did her undergrad at Penn and my dad did his professional training there. I had no interest at all. Over the last 20 years, I've spent a ton of time in Philly doing business with Comcast. It still doesn't align with my interests but Center City isn't a bad place to live. For a while, I was in a highrise condo midweek a block from Rittenhouse Square.

I see them on Zillow. 1,200 square foot 2/2. $500k for a lower floor without the sunny fancy view. A pretty stiff ~$800/month condo fee but there's a nice pool on the roof, gym, 24x7 concierge, etc. Garage parking if you want to pay extra for it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...93387736_zpid/

A slightly bigger more updated one on a higher floor with sunshine and the view is listed for $625k.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...78684478_zpid/

You're a 10 minute walk from 30th Street Station so the airport and NYC are trivial. DC is an easy day trip. All the office towers of Center City are within 10 to 15 minutes walk. You can hop a train to the Jersey Shore. If you want to live urban, it's value priced compared to the Northeast Corridor "big 3".

Old 12-06-2021, 04:21 PM

25 posts, read 21,232 times
Quote:
Having lived in both:

CT will take you further with that income and you can live in a top tier suburb of Hartford, or somewhere down in New Haven County and live very well.

Im more partial to CT now and think its a great state. Taxes are hell though.
Yet you say that while your name is Masssachoicetts

Old 12-06-2021, 04:27 PM

25 posts, read 21,232 times
Quote:
While i feel Italians in general fall more on the “trump” side of things and more likey to drop the N word.. this is still no attitude to have. You are defending yourself thinking that people in MA will like you if you call whole groups of people fat, lazy and stupid? Are you serious?

Boston is very Italian. I suggest you change your attitude.
Again, don't take it too literally like with the other user said. I get that I won't make friends, but that doesn't mean I've come to move to a place just to make friends, since that wouldn't be a good reason to move, for sure. Mostly, though, it's just for the fact that I say people are fat, lazy, and stupid because it's coming from my own experience of living in Westchester and in NY. And why wouldn't I? Not wholly just because of covid, but just because of the fact that it's just so boring that people can't bother stimulating themselves properly or just bother to get themselves out of bed in the morning?

I'm not expecting people to like me so you don't need to insinuate that I'm defending myself. I'm fine where I am in life and I won't change myself for a person just because I don't seem nice to them. People need to learn when to suck it up when dealing with another person because you're having to deal with their habits and it's your God-Given right to call them out on it when they manage to step out of line for it. It's natural human behavior.

And it is what it is, unfortunately. Even if Boston is very Italian, at least it wouldn't be as such when compared to NY.

Old 12-06-2021, 04:37 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:

The bad parts of Philly are pretty bad, but it isn't all bad. My brother has 3 kids and one son and one daughter first moved up to NYC for work. They have both since moved back closer to my bro in South Jersey, and they both moved to Philly. The daughter is in the Pine St/Society Hill neighborhood - it's quite nice there, lots of well maintained historic brick/stone rowhouses. I haven't heard any complaints about Philly from either "kid" (they're mid-late 30s now).

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-06-2021 at 04:48 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 04:42 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
I was just in Philly this past Saturday. on Haverford Ave right off Lancaster Ave. not far at all from Univeristy City. pretty rough but there’s plenty life and gentrification is trudging along relentlessly. My friend there is on the dental track and at first he found Philly too rough (mind you he’s originally from the Bronx and Mount Vernon) but he’s come to really enjoy Philadelphia. After 2 years.

It’s downtown was refreshing after being in Baltimore for so long- really vibrant, reallly great eats. A lot of people enjoy living in Philly- mostly single young people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts