Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 05:03 PM

25 posts, read 21,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I was just in Philly this past Saturday. on Haverford Ave right off Lancaster Ave. not far at all from Univeristy City. pretty rough but there’s plenty life and gentrification is trudging along relentlessly. My friend there is on the dental track and at first he found Philly too rough (mind you he’s originally from the Bronx and Mount Vernon) but he’s come to really enjoy Philadelphia. After 2 years.

It’s downtown was refreshing after being in Baltimore for so long- really vibrant, reallly great eats. A lot of people enjoy living in Philly- mostly single young people.
Ironic since I also happened to have moved to Mount Vernon when I was 8 in 2006 before I moved to Bronxville in 2017.

And yet people wonder why I have an attitude on this forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 05:10 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Well if you want to move to the Boston area, then come. Just keep in mind that apartments are going to be more expensive here. That's why you're getting other suggestions.

Apply and get accepted to a school and then plan around that. You'll need public transportation since you won't have a car so keep that in mind.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:12 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaldson View Post
Ironic since I also happened to have moved to Mount Vernon when I was 8 in 2006 before I moved to Bronxville in 2017.

And yet people wonder why I have an attitude on this forum...
What exactly are you saying here?

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-06-2021 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-06-2021, 05:14 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
What exactly are you’re saying here?
That he likes to misuse the word "ironic"?

Old 12-06-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That he likes to misuse the word "ironic"?
Right- I don't think of the Bronxville or Mount Vernon as having a lot of Italians.

My friend lives in Philly, so I'm not sure how that relates to Bronxville or Mount Vernon. He never lived in Boston.

Old 12-07-2021, 04:54 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
I was just in Philly this past Saturday. on Haverford Ave right off Lancaster Ave. not far at all from Univeristy City. pretty rough but there’s plenty life and gentrification is trudging along relentlessly. My friend there is on the dental track and at first he found Philly too rough (mind you he’s originally from the Bronx and Mount Vernon) but he’s come to really enjoy Philadelphia. After 2 years.

It’s downtown was refreshing after being in Baltimore for so long- really vibrant, reallly great eats. A lot of people enjoy living in Philly- mostly single young people.
A big chunk of Philly is vast slums and some of that is visible in Center City. Under the convention center is a homeless people lair. That’s out the back of a major tourist spot at Reading Terminal Station rather than removed from the tourist traffic like Boston’s Methadone Mile. If you want to live urban and car free on the kind of income the OP is talking, Philly would make the most sense. Across the river from Manhattan is the other car-free option that has more affordable housing. Connecticut isn’t a car free place at all. Boston is but the housing cost is absurd.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:59 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Right- I don't think of the Bronxville or Mount Vernon as having a lot of Italians.

My friend lives in Philly, so I'm not sure how that relates to Bronxville or Mount Vernon. He never lived in Boston.
Mount Vernon had a lot of Italian Americans at one time, but I don't think they do anymore. I think most of them moved out after the 1960s.

Bronxville was mega-WASP traditionally but could have a few more Italian Americans now than they did before.

I suspect that the OP didn't live in Bronxville proper, but a surrounding community like Yonkers in an area with a Bronxville PO address. There is a lot of that in Westchester County. I lived multiple places in Westchester County before I moved to Connecticut, and only one of them had a PO address that matched the town where I actually lived. It's sort of ridiculous and confusing.

Old 12-07-2021, 12:44 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Can someone explain the Italian thing to me? Everyone I know is at least 2nd or 3rd generation. Other than a few phrases and curse words, they’re not remotely culturally Italian.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A big chunk of Philly is vast slums and some of that is visible in Center City. Under the convention center is a homeless people lair.

If you want to live urban and car free on the kind of income the OP is talking, Philly would make the most sense.
I'm very well aware. But Philly is huge even without the slums its viable for a single professional, as you said.

Old 12-07-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Mount Vernon had a lot of Italian Americans at one time, but I don't think they do anymore. I think most of them moved out after the 1960s.

Bronxville was mega-WASP traditionally but could have a few more Italian Americans now than they did before.

I suspect that the OP didn't live in Bronxville proper, but a surrounding community like Yonkers in an area with a Bronxville PO address. There is a lot of that in Westchester County. I lived multiple places in Westchester County before I moved to Connecticut, and only one of them had a PO address that matched the town where I actually lived. It's sort of ridiculous and confusing.
Yea before wayy back- before black people moved into Mt. Vernon... and yea there's a few Italians in Bronxville now, I know the type but its not "Italian" and those people are very very assimilated. Is Yonkers even that Italian in the modern-day?

I've never lived there and my friend didn't leave there because of Italians lol. Its all disconnected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts